NEED HELP putting together an outfit

Str8frmbk

Mar 9, 2010
First, let me start off by saying I am young unfashionable women living in dc, adn for once would like to look my best!

I have a benefit/charity even to attend this saturday, and I would like to wear this dress

http://www.lanebryant.com/apparel-accessories/dresses-skirts/top-rated/ponte-cowl-neck-dress/4018c4031c14951p56332/index.pro

I will probably switch the belt for a wider one. But I’m not too sure about the tights or shoes.

I have a few ideas:
1. grey opaque tights (matching the dress) with black patent leather shoes possibly peeptoes or just plain ole pumps with a black clutch.

or

2. black opaque tights</SPAN> with red pumps, and possibly a black cardigan with the wide belt around the waist, and maybe some red jewelry or red clutch?

I'm not to daring but would like to add some color to the outfit, I'm just not sure how to put it all together.

Do you have any suggestions?? I haven’t bought the dress yet but plan on doing so, I’m open to suggestions/ideas on how to complete the look. THANKS!!

From what i gather not very formal...My bf was told to wear 'dress casual'. I do have a 3/4 sleeve v-neck black dress that I can wear, but I feel that it'll be too dressy for the event.

Its a fundraiser so its not a formal affair. I just didn't want to wear vlack becasue it seems like thats all I wear.

I don't think I'm daring enough to wear a plaid or colored tights. Not sure if I can pull that off. Any other ideas?

How about black opaque tights with red shoes and a black clutch (with the black wide belt?

I think this will look ok but some people may wonder where the red came from since the only red I have on will be the shoes and lipstick. If I cannot find red shoes then I'll have to get some black ones.

I'm just sooo undecided right now...

I love the idea of black opaque stockings and an accent of red. If you cannot find shoes, you might do a red clutch; or if you cannot find a red clutch you could try a red belt. I wouldn't go all matchy-matchy and do all three (as that would be silly), but any one of those would add an accent in a great way.

I love the idea of black opaque stockings and an accent of red. If you cannot find shoes, you might do a red clutch; or if you cannot find a red clutch you could try a red belt. I wouldn't go all matchy-matchy and do all three (as that would be silly), but any one of those would add an accent in a great way.

Thanks, that helps out!

i'm actually going to disagree with the popular opinion here, for the simple reason that, IPHO, matching your bag to your shoes is such an easy, foolproof way to achieve a pulled-together look for outfits, so i feel that it might be a bit jarring to have a black bag & red shoes, or vice versa.

of course, far be it from piggy to dissuade anyone from wearing red, my favourite colour! piggy has a proposal!

• black opaque tights
  • black booties or pumps
  • black clutch
  • wide red patent belt
  • one of the following - all probably easier to find than a red clutch or shoes, and cheaper too! (^(oo)^)v
    • red cuff bracelet
    • stacked assorted red & metal bangles
    • swingy red earrings

I'm going to dissent from the popular opinion!

I'd keep the outfit pretty simple with black tights and black pumps and a black belt. I'd then incorporate just a little color through accessories like a cocktail ring, earrings and a clutch.

Personally, I wouldn't choose a red clutch with this. I like red, but when it's paired with black and grey, sometimes it looks a little harsh. Plum would be beautiful. Or maybe turquoise to make it more spring-like.

so many good ideas.
whatever you do...i'd do just one piece of red, either a pair of red pumps or red clutch...leave the rest to black except the dress.