Need help please, total bag confusion.. long rant

I vote for the Plume! Easily can be either handbag or shoulderbag and it's shape can accomodate lots of stuff. I think if you stay away from Box or Chamonix in Black you'll have yourself a lovely daily bag with a chic yet casual look.

shopmom, thanks, i liked your description :smile: Have you ever seen the plume (or elan) in a natural/gold/caramel chamonix or something similar? Wondering how this would look, as it is my preferred aesthetic at the moment. ..

Exactly my thoughts about the trim (and problem with my current bag too), is too hard to find stuff! That is a big plus of the birkin - oh, forgot to tell you the color/leather combo i have on hold is Natural Fjord with gold hardware. .if only the birkin could have longer handles!!! (but not the JPG, I just don't find it attractive, IMO) . .so, hmm. ..i'm thinking about the plume. . .seeing one in a good leather/color combo would sure be helpful. . .they need one hermes "showroom" where they have an example of every bag in every color and leather combo so you can see them all! (omg, i'd pass out on the floor :nuts: )
That fantasy showroom would be great, but then the mystique would be gone and we would not read this board. ;)

I have a 35cm Black Togo Birkin. I lusted after the bag and basically ranted about it long enough that my hubby got the clue and bought me one. I love the bag. I love how I feel when I carry it. I just loved the entire experience of wanting it for so long, finally getting the call, driving to store frantically, the ceremony with which it was presented and being able to nonchalantly say "ok I'll take it" while I thought I might faint inside. :smile:

On the flip side, I have a hard time with it at times. I don't dare tell my husband how hard it is for me to carry it. It is a large bag and I am very careful not to hit walls, etc with it so there's a little bit of stress for me, because frankly if it gets hurt how can I possibly find another one quickly to replace it?? I am now on the hunt for a Kelly as I love the fact that it's smaller and has the shoulder strap option. If I were you I would seriously check out the Massai PM size (duna has one that is stunning). They are soft and luxurious, roomy, slouchy and elegant all in one. If you want more structure get the Kelly. You could get the softer Kelly with the inside stitching that is not quite as formal as the rigide Kelly.

I totally hear you about that oval on the Bolide. I really wish it didn't have that, but I love the rest of the bag.

If you desperately want a Birkin perhaps get a smaller one than the 35. My understanding is that the JPG is quite large and heavy so be careful. It's quite hard to decide especially in light that you can't just return it for a refund at the Hermes boutique so take your time and ask us all you need to ask.

Gosh, this post could have been written by ME! I adore my Birkin and would never trade it for anything but it is not always the perfect bag. I recommend the Plume or the Kelly.
The Kelly has the advantage of being one of Hermes A-list bags. So if ou like THAT about the Birkin, the Kelly might get you thaqt same feeling of having something rare and fabulous. How about a 32cm Retourne Kelly in a nice soft leather?

went to h again today, convinced that the bolide 1923 was the bag for me (love the shape of the bolide, but just can't deal with that oval -- what is it for, really?)

If you really like Bolide and the only thing that is bothering you is the oval patch, maybe you can try to SO a "Web". The shape and size is very similar to Bolide and the main difference is it has a plain body (no oval patch and no seam underneath the handles). HTH :smile:

BTW, the oval patch is for personal initials ;)

I agree with Greentea that the Kelly will give you the same feeling of having something rare and fabulous. A 32cm or a 35cm Retourne Kelly would be gorgeous and it has a shoulder strap!

Also, as HermesAddiction mentioned the oval on the Bolide is for your initials...that's what I did with my black box Bolide which I've worn almost everyday. It is box and I love using it.

I like big soft/slouchy bags aswell...I'm OK with a 35 Clemence or Swift Birkin because they're slouchy but still have a shape, and you can find your stuff easily inside..But if you're not confortable with a handheld bag, as others have said, a Retourne or Sellier Mou Kelly might work for you, if you like biggish bags, maybe a 35 (I find the 32 slighly small for me) and with the wide canvas shoulder strap instead of the thin one (the wide strap has to be ordered separately).

bummer...that counts this out then......

:lol: i just cracked up when i saw your new avatar. You are really a closet himalaya fanatic, aren't you? LOL. .seriously, thanks to everyone for all your suggestions and great advice. . .unfortunately, although i admire the kelly, it is not a style for me. I do not really care so much about having something "rare", I am just happy to have the beautiful quality that hermes offers, and really want the perfect style for me. I'm seriously thinking about the plume now, because, it is more structured than a sac, but is very minimal, and seems like it would be functional for me. I just haven't found any good pics of one in a natural color, natural leather.. .maybe this isn't a good plume combo? :shrugs: Also, off to find pics of this LA bag. . . not sure I've ever really seen that one. . .

Exactly my thoughts about the trim (and problem with my current bag too), is too hard to find stuff! That is a big plus of the birkin - oh, forgot to tell you the color/leather combo i have on hold is Natural Fjord with gold hardware. .if only the birkin could have longer handles!!! (but not the JPG, I just don't find it attractive, IMO) . .so, hmm. ..i'm thinking about the plume. . .seeing one in a good leather/color combo would sure be helpful. . .they need one hermes "showroom" where they have an example of every bag in every color and leather combo so you can see them all! (omg, i'd pass out on the floor :nuts: )

Something else to consider - fjord is probably the one of the heavier leathers. If you decide to go with the birkin, you may want to consider something lighter..

If you really like Bolide and the only thing that is bothering you is the oval patch, maybe you can try to SO a "Web". The shape and size is very similar to Bolide and the main difference is it has a plain body (no oval patch and no seam underneath the handles). HTH :smile:

BTW, the oval patch is for personal initials ;)

The oval is for initials?:nuts: Ok, this makes me wanna get one in fuchsia ostrich ever more~~~