Need Help: Platinum, white gold, yellow gold, pure gold...

Tina_sue

Jul 21, 2008
hi ladies, just wondering about the differences across metals? and when do u use which?

Especially platinum and white gold, they look the same don't they? Why would u choose one over the other?

Hi, here is the link to Pricescope website answering all the quesitons about the difference between the white gold and platinum:

http://engagementrings.pricescope.com/wgvsplat.asp

My husband and I have chosen platinum for the following reasons:

- Platinum is heavier and a bit more durable (doesnt scratch easily)

- White gold does appear slightly yellowish as it loses its polish and platinum is more grayish in color. I take my rings to be professionally cleaned and polished at the jewellery shops so I've no problems with the patina (some people actually like the patina look).

- Also, platinum does not wear down as gold does, so, over the course of a lifetime, it will remain virtually the same weight and size.

Some stats:

- Platinum is more scarce than gold - The annual supply of platinum is only about 130 tons - which is only 6% (by weight) of the total Western World's annual mine production of gold.

- Approximately 10 tons of ore must be mined to produce one ounce of pure platinum. Furthermore, the total extraction process takes six months.

Platinum for me as I'm allergic to all gold. Yeah my skin has expensive 'taste' ;)

On people who wear white gold, I have seen them tarnish over the years. Yellow gold is better.

Platinum is softer (the purer the platinum the softer it gets) and seems to scratch easily but won't lose any weight, polishing the ring just patches up the scratches and sets it back to good as new. I use an jewelry cleaner to clean them and it does wonders.

http://www.jewelsmall.com/cleaner.html?gclid=CMLbjpaksJUCFSAUagodM20VkA

depends on what specific piece the metal will be on.
I am not allergic to any, but I prefer the way white gold stays shiny and new looking for some pieces and don't mind how platinum get's scratched or dull looking for others.

Here ya go!

I rummaged through my box... The only white gold I had was in 18k on a pendant...but I did run across older gold that i forgot I had....

it goes 10k, 14k, 18k, 24k yellow gold, followed by scratched up platinum ring, semi-shiny platinum, and my titanium wedding band.

metals.jpg

and this is the 18k white gold/yellow gold pendant with the 950 platinum ring over it

metals2.jpg

as you can see.. metal color depends on alloy and finish for most jewellery:smile:

When the metals are brand new, I prefer the look of platinum better. But once they get all scratched up, I prefer the look of white gold.....for the shinier look while platinum gets dull. However, I don't like the fact that white gold over time will turn slightly yellow, revealing its true color.

I have Platinum rings, and a few titanium and stainless steel rings. I wear those metals and only those because I am violently allergic to gold and many of the alloys used with gold.

From a purely looks/style standpoint I choose platinum for color, weight, durability and practicality in pricing--no upkeep required other than occasionally getting it polished.

platinum s the metal of choice, although usually costs 4x what 14k runs. it is harder and wears into a beautiful patina. 18k has snob appeal but is somewhat soft. 14K yellow and white are the standards. I doubt anyone can really differentiate between any of the white metals (silver included) when you are wearing the piece.

platinum s the metal of choice, although usually costs 4x what 14k runs. it is harder and wears into a beautiful patina. 18k has snob appeal but is somewhat soft. 14K yellow and white are the standards. I doubt anyone can really differentiate between any of the white metals (silver included) when you are wearing the piece.

I was under the impression that platinum is softer than gold, not harder. I've found that it scratches more easily than gold, and was advised that a platinum prong setting is safer because of platinum's softness - that if banged on something the prongs will bend rather than breaking off, thus securing the diamond more than gold would. Have I been misinformed?

^^^ That's what I understand too. The prongs on my engagement ring are Platinum for the reason you state here, the rest 18kt.
Wear 18kt & rose gold, cause of my skintone. I don't care that rose gold goes in & out of style. I like the fact this seems to be a hang up for some & that not many are wearing it. I'm not a follower, buy what looks good on me.

I was under the impression that platinum is softer than gold, not harder. I've found that it scratches more easily than gold, and was advised that a platinum prong setting is safer because of platinum's softness - that if banged on something the prongs will bend rather than breaking off, thus securing the diamond more than gold would. Have I been misinformed?

It's my understanding that platinum is more durable in that if you scratch it, it doesn't loose any of the metal, where as with gold, some of the metal is lost. When you take your rings to be polished, a platinum ring is just burnished to smooth out the scratches and dings, but with gold, a small amount of metal is added to replace lost gold.

I don't think platinum and white gold look alike at all. I love the color and weight of platinum and I love the way it ages, but I don't wear it exclusively.

My understanding is the same as the ImportersWife. I always choose platinum if given a choice - no metal loss, stronger, naturally a white metal, and makes diamonds look a million times better than gold.

i wear 18 carat yellow white ,black, noble,brown,purple,rose etc .. gold, platinum and also colored and natural titanium
all metals serve different purposes and different looks and i think i can see a difference between 14 to 18 carat gold and platinum as well
in the end it is not only the metal but also how the jeweller,goldsmith and sertisseur works with it