Need help picking new puppy breed!

GucciGoddess

Oct 5, 2007
Toronto
My boyfriend and I just recently lost our 10 year old yellow lab (he was very sick for a long time...). We would like to get a puppy around summer time (June-Aug) but are torn between a couple of breeds.

Any light that you could shed would be greatly appreciated! Our lab was 105 lbs (big guy!). We are looking for a larger breed. We are in our late 20s and have kids on the "agenda" in 4-5 years. We want a dog that is fun, loves walks and water, social, good with kids. We know traits are not "breed specific", but we are really unsure. We would like a dog that gives the "tough guy" impression to strangers (but people who know the dog will feel comfortable). Both of our families have only ever had labs or golden retrievers. We are dedicated to socializing, training, and exercising our dog. Our top choices are:

1. Rottweiler
2. Boxer
3. Bull Mastiff

Anyone have any of these breeds and/or can offer suggestions?

buzzytoes

Dog Chauffeur
O.G.
Jun 7, 2008
6600 Feet Above Sea Level
I'm sure you will find many reccomendations for boxers - we seem to have quite a few boxer lovers on TPF!!! I don't really know much about them but they seem to be a bit higher energy so since it sounds like you have an active lifestyle a boxer might be a good fit for you.

My sister has a Bull Mastiff and he is the sweetest thing ever. He loves having his "peeps" around and doesn't like to be left alone much. I don't think Bull Mastiffs are much in the swimming department - from my understanding they tend to sink like stones. :biggrin: That said D (my sister's dog) does take the occasional plunge into the pond. I don't think he ever actually swims, just walks around. He goes for walks on a daily basis - sometimes he goes running with her boss for a couple miles. He is just over a year and the last time she weighed him he was about 80 lbs. They are not supposed to mature until about three years so he's got some growing left to do. His "brothers" (same parents, different litter) are all big guys and weigh well over 100 lbs. He is a very smart and very stubborn dog and I love him to pieces. There is just something about him that makes me feel very calm and peaceful around him. Not sure if that is the breed or just him individually. Bull Mastiff would definitely be my choice of the three!!

Lakritze

♥
O.G.
Jun 4, 2006
Germany
All of these breeds are totally different from Labs and Golden Retrievers, when it comes to training. When you decide on a breed from your list I would find a good breeder and get to know as many individual dogs as possible before making a final decission.

Even though I'm German, the two German breeds are not my favorite. ;) Personally I would go for the Bullmastiff. They are great dogs but very stubborn and you have to like that. ;) I have an American Bulldog and she is very stubborn, too. :biggrin:

Bullmastiffs are generally very gentle and loving. They are activ (but not overly). They should be brought up carefully because they are prone to hip dysplasia and other things. They mature very slow.