Need help on first bal purchase!! First, town, or city?

jilly.bean

Jan 23, 2013
Hi Bal pals!

I'm in a huge dilemma... I'm planning to purchase my first Bal ever but I keep flip flopping on which style/color to buy.

I originally wanted the First because I really don't carry much with me every day (wallet, phone, keys, and sometimes a small makeup bag or water bottle). I love how compact the bag is and I already know it will fit my essentials. I also like that it looks slouchy when worn on the shoulder (not to mention the strap drop is perfect).

Then I looked into the Town and liked the idea of the crossbody! The majority of my handbags are crossbody styles, which I find very useful. I'm sure the long strap will be useful for shopping and traveling when I need my hands free. However, I'm afraid the bag will look too boxy and big if worn as a crossbody.. if that makes sense (I haven't seen a slouchy Town picture on TPF at all). I love my bags slouchy! All my crossbody bags are small in comparison to the Town and I'm afraid of how big it'll look on me. I know I will probably wear the bag on my shoulder most of the time (if not crossbody) and I have a feeling it might be too boxy/stiff/big looking against my body. And then there's the whole issue of the strap being awkwardly long (I'm 5'5") and what to do with the strap! I know the newer Towns come with an adjustable strap, but I don't know how much of a difference it really makes. I haven't tried on the Town in person, so maybe when I see it at the store, it'll ease my mind a bit?

AND THEN... I was browsing through pictures of the City and I really REALLY like how it slouches when it's worn on the shoulder. But who am I kidding, the City is HUGE! I would literally have to scramble around my room to find things to stuff into it. I have the LV Neverfull MM and my stuff literally swims in the bag because I don't carry much with me on the daily.

That's just one of my dilemmas.. I'm also very indecisive on color! I tend to be very classic.. most of my handbags are black. I love how versatile black is and I don't have to worry about my bags not matching my outfits. So I would ideally want a black First in RH... BUT one of my best friends has this exact same purse and I wouldn't want us to be wearing the EXACT same bag when we're out together. So my next choice is gris tarmac, but I wear A LOT of grey (90% of my wardrobe is grey) so I'm worried that a grey handbag would look a bit too much. I was also considering anthracite, but as I looked at pictures, I noticed a lot of the blue/green undertones which I don't like.

So I think my choices come down to a First in GT or a Town in black... Or the City in black? I need advice! What is a girl to do???? This newbie would definitely appreciate some expertise advice! :smile:

beauxgoris

O.G.
Mar 17, 2006
Based on what I read - I think you should purchase a black first. It's the prettiest of all bal shapes imo, plus you said you don't carry a ton of stuff. It's light and fits against the body perfectly handle drop wise. I prefer black over grey as it will show much less wear and will be a classic to have and wear forever.

GL with decision.

xJOLE

Aug 23, 2011
Canada
Have you looked in to the Mini City? It's small AND has the crossbody strap! I would go for the black for your first Bal bag -- nothing beats the classic!

jilly.bean

Jan 23, 2013
Have you looked in to the Mini City? It's small AND has the crossbody strap! I would go for the black for your first Bal bag -- nothing beats the classic!
Thank you for your input ladies!

xJOLE, yes I've seen pictures of the Mini City but I think the size is TOO similar too the other crossbody bags that I have (Rebecca Minkoff Mini M.A.C., MBMJ Percy, etc.) Also, I don't think the Mini City would be worth the price when I could pay just a little more and have an every day handbag. But I appreciate your suggestion. I think I will go with black ;) just need to figure out what style now!

Tiare

zOMG sales!
O.G.
Jul 5, 2007
You can take the girl out of NYC...
Thank you for your input ladies!

xJOLE, yes I've seen pictures of the Mini City but I think the size is TOO similar too the other crossbody bags that I have (Rebecca Minkoff Mini M.A.C., MBMJ Percy, etc.) Also, I don't think the Mini City would be worth the price when I could pay just a little more and have an every day handbag. But I appreciate your suggestion. I think I will go with black ;) just need to figure out what style now!
My "first" was a black First and I adore it. I use my City when I need my iPad (I have one of the big dudes) and/or a water bottle. Basically if I'll be out for a while and need more things on me.

For everything else, from dinners, to parties, to shopping - i use the First.

And it looks fantastic in any setting :smile:

Nancy in VA

Bal & Legacy Lover
O.G.
Aug 21, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
I would go for black and you can get a different hardware than your friend. I think the town would be good for you - the city slouches but I think you will miss the crossbody strap. Or - how about the maxi twiggy - bigger than the town but a little smaller than the city - has a crossbody. hgbags sells a lot of maxi twiggys which seem to be mostly sold in Europe if I am not mistaken.

I also think classic hardware bags (the type with the tassels) slouch much better than other hardware bags.

jilly.bean

Jan 23, 2013
I would go for black and you can get a different hardware than your friend. I think the town would be good for you - the city slouches but I think you will miss the crossbody strap. Or - how about the maxi twiggy - bigger than the town but a little smaller than the city - has a crossbody. hgbags sells a lot of maxi twiggys which seem to be mostly sold in Europe if I am not mistaken.

I also think classic hardware bags (the type with the tassels) slouch much better than other hardware bags.
Thanks ladies!

Nancy, I considered getting a different hardware but I just love the tassels so much! Thank you for your information on the slouchiness - I'm set on classic RH! The three styles keep jumping around in my head, hopefully I can make a decision soon! :panic:

slowlikehoney

Feb 12, 2012
Wheaton, IL
If you like First but don't want to copy your friend i would consider maybe a brighter color. If you have a lot of black bags it might be nice to have one that was a little wilder. And I love the look of neutral clothes with a pop of color in the bag. Even maybe just a darker blue or a red even? Just a suggestion, of course. I used to always buy black too, but I've loved having bright colors now.

YanYan1312

Jan 28, 2013
I seconded slowlikehoney for a brighter color..especially if you have lots of black purses already. :P
and Town will get my vote as you don't carry a lot of stuff...**Too bad you don't like mini city they are sooo cute!~

LoriB

wife, mom, bagaholic
O.G.
Apr 3, 2006
USA
I have a slouchy town, and I adore it. Every day that I carry it, it becomes more puddle-like when I set it down. So I am going to recommend the town, as for color...well my town is Cassis and at first I really thought I would rather have a black bag but now I am glad I went with something else. Just a personal preference. :smile:

jilly.bean

Jan 23, 2013
If you like First but don't want to copy your friend i would consider maybe a brighter color. If you have a lot of black bags it might be nice to have one that was a little wilder. And I love the look of neutral clothes with a pop of color in the bag. Even maybe just a darker blue or a red even? Just a suggestion, of course. I used to always buy black too, but I've loved having bright colors now.
Thank you for the idea, slowlikehoney! I've kind of been toying around with that idea as well - I was sort of eyeing the First in curry! I just don't know if I can justify spending $1500 on a yellow purse as opposed to black which is timeless and will be classic forever and ever. Gosh, who knew picking out a purse could be so hard!! :thinking:

jilly.bean

Jan 23, 2013
I have a slouchy town, and I adore it. Every day that I carry it, it becomes more puddle-like when I set it down. So I am going to recommend the town, as for color...well my town is Cassis and at first I really thought I would rather have a black bag but now I am glad I went with something else. Just a personal preference. :smile:
Thank you LoriB! I thought I was set on the town until I looked at the City thread today.. GAH! I think this is probably the size I'm looking for - as many TPFers have said, it's in between a First and City - but I think I need to see it in person and try it on so I can have a feel of the crossbody strap. I'm enlightened to know that yours is slouchy! Would you mind posting a picture when you get a chance? Maybe worn in different ways (crossbody, shoulder, and on the arm). I would LOVE to see pictures!! Thank you for your input!!

blinkie80

Nov 3, 2008
I agree with LoriB that the town can be slouchy as well! I have 3 towns (my first bal was a FIRST) and the town has that additional space when you do need it - anyway, it is just a tad taller only. My RH town tends to slouch more though, as compared to the giant hardware ones. I am (or used to be) a black bag only gal - but ever since i discovered bal, I do not go for black bags anymore!!! My 3 towns are in Cumin (dirty yellow), militaire (dirty green) and Cassis (burgundy red) and I think they are all versatile enuff to match most of my clothes!