Need help!! My white birkin handles turned yellow!!! =*(

tuleh

ah barenia birkin!!!
O.G.
Apr 29, 2006
a beautiful bag that i've kept carefully in box almost at all times!! cuz i tend to use other birkins and keep the white only for a couple times per summer (it's a J stamp).. therefore I've probably only worn it for less than 10 times since I got it...

as I opened the box today, something horrifying revealed... my handles turned creamish!! It is almost impossible if it's due to the humidity as sometimes it happens to some humid countries because I'm currently in North America, and I have to say it's nowhere near humid in where I live... Plus, I have a white masai bag that I've got it even before the birkin and it still looks very whitish! It is both in the clemence leather.

I'm in huge distress right now because this is one of my favourite combination!! white/gold and the only one in size 30 that I have since I've recently sold an old orange of mine that was also a size 30.

I just can't deal with the fact that it is imperfect now. Can anyone share some tips of how to fix this?? Should I send to refurbish in Hermes Paris?

HELP HELP HELP!! :cry::sad::crybaby::shucks:

Attachments

• DSCF5441.JPG
    DSCF5441.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 1,411
  • DSCF5445.JPG
    DSCF5445.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 1,394
  • DSCF5446.JPG
    DSCF5446.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 1,534
  • DSCF5447.JPG
    DSCF5447.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 1,453

tuleh

ah barenia birkin!!!
O.G.
Apr 29, 2006
Thanks for the sharing the replacement information... Will definitely ask my local Hermes about it... or even better, should I just bring it to Hermes Paris with me when I go in October?? I just feel more secured if I bring it in in person..

By the way, does anyone know how long does it take? ANY INPUT IS MUCH APPRECIATED!!

EdinaChu

Jun 11, 2010
I understand that the yellowing of the white bags have been resolved in the more resent years, but not as far back as the 2006 edition. This is thanks to the tanning process that has improved so much over the years.

So unfortunately, you can change the handles, but the body will turn yellow one day the more you use it. All bags will experience colour change, such is the nature of leather (or anything for that matter) and ageing.

I was told for example, the reason why croco bags are no longer offered in blue jeans is because the blue turns yellow over time in patches, and there is nothing that can be done about it.

My advice would be to enjoy it, and take the ageing process on the bags gracefully. Wrap the handles in a twillie and then you don't have to worry too much.

**Chanel**

Trying to b good ^_^
O.G.
Jan 31, 2009
I'm sorry to hear that.
I don't know if this is normal with white Birkins but I'd bring it to H. to see what they say.

Maybe it's also an idea to use twillies for the handles?

Good luck :flowers:!

tuleh

ah barenia birkin!!!
O.G.
Apr 29, 2006
I doubt it's the aging process though(or have yet started?!) because my white massai that is also in clemence that I've got it even before the birkin didn't turned yellowish like this, plus I hardly use this bag, why is it only the handles turned colors?!:confused1:

Feb 17, 2007
I was told by a local Hermes that with the white birkin they are sent back to Paris for a special cleaning process. I would take it on Monday to your boutique. A couple of years ago cleaning for a white birkin was $200.00.

aspenmartial

Over the rainbow~~~
O.G.
Apr 13, 2006
Dear J! Oh NO! I am sorry to see that! I thought you had little yellow discoloration spots or something small when you talked to me about it...I didn't know it was whole handles until I saw your pictures! Again, I really feel for you! Even my heart stopped one moment when I saw your pictures..I can't imagine how you feel...

You can replace handles for sure (or maybe Hermes can re-dye handles to white again..?). Meanwhile I would put twillies to cover yellow handles even though I am not a big fan of putting twillies on handles..

birkingal

O.G.
Aug 3, 2006
I had a white Massai with marks. The artisan told me it can be easily fixed in Paris although I didn't take up on her offer. Best to bring it to the Hermes store and have them send it back to Paris for treatment.

mudmud

The Orange Wiggle
O.G.
Oct 13, 2006
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear what happened tuleh! When I saw the photos I was shocked! Normally white does go a bit yellow over time due to human contact, but the whole handle changes colour that must be something else.

Definitely go straight to your store and see what they can do about it. Most likely they will have to send it back to Paris.