need help keeping a strapless dress up!

rrachel

O.G.
Jul 21, 2010
it's heavily sequined and so it's not a light dress. double stick tape is not strong enough! I have one strapless bra that has a wide strip of silicone no-slip grip at the edges and that keeps my bra it in place all day long. Would anyone happen to know where I could find something like that or similar? I have been searching on google with no luck for about an hour now =/

so you looking for those rubber grip strips that possibly sold separately and can go onto your dress???
i've never seen something like this. maybe try those craft/fabric shops?

but if you can't find anything, as a last option, can you put a few hand stitches on the dress to hang on to your bra maybe? if your bra is strong enough to hold everything.
or, temporarily sew those clear/invisible bra straps on the dress? i know it's not the best option, but if you have absolutely no option, it's better than having the dress slipping off.. :smile:

sorry, not much of help.

If a strapless dress won't stay up, then I tend to believe that the dress is not a proper fit. What about taking it in for alterations?

I believe that's what I may have to do. I was hoping to be able to wear it this weekend, maybe they'll be able to take it in a bit in a hurry.

Is there enough boning? Does it fit well at the waist? What style is it?
The rubbery things that grip bras and other stuff are usually available at highly specialized haberdasheries. In my many years of sewing I have seen it only couple of time.
Does it have to be strapless? Can you add a strap? I had halter top like that, too heavy to stay up so I used the ties to make straps.
Do not let anyone alter your dress unless they identify the problem (dress too big, no proper support…) and how they are going to fix it and ask them to show you which seams they will taking in (better not to touch back zipper, just the side seams).

MrsBradley said:
Is there enough boning? Does it fit well at the waist? What style is it?
The rubbery things that grip bras and other stuff are usually available at highly specialized haberdasheries. In my many years of sewing I have seen it only couple of time.
Does it have to be strapless? Can you add a strap? I had halter top like that, too heavy to stay up so I used the ties to make straps.
Do not let anyone alter your dress unless they identify the problem (dress too big, no proper support…) and how they are going to fix it and ask them to show you which seams they will taking in (better not to touch back zipper, just the side seams).

There is minimal boning in the dress, just in the front on the sides. It fits well in the waist, could be slightly tighter. It is a sequined mini dress with a sweetheart neckline. The biggest issue seems to be at the bust. It fits my chest without being too tight but it slides down.

What brand of double-sided tape are you using? "Hollywood Fashion Tape" usually works for me--I've tried everything from Department store tape to Scotch double sided tape, Hollywood tape has always worked and it comes in a cute tin container!

There is minimal boning in the dress, just in the front on the sides. It fits well in the waist, could be slightly tighter. It is a sequined mini dress with a sweetheart neckline. The biggest issue seems to be at the bust. It fits my chest without being too tight but it slides down.

I would assume that there is gapping at the valley of your bust, is that right? Normally this dealt with by putting small pieces of boning to keep the sweetheart neckline from sagging. Quick fix would be if you get two side boning pieces from a bra (they are roughly 2 inches long with rounded edges so they will not poke you) and tape them to the inside. I need to find one of my sewing books and post a picture. Probably later today.

If the double tape does not work, you will probably have to consider having it reinforced. I looked though my stuff and saw that usually there are 11 to 15 pieces of boning plus waist stay to keep a thing that heavy in place.
I am sorry to say, but I can not really see quick fix to that. If you can find another strapless bra like the one you own, a seamstress can probably add it to the dress but I do not think it will do much good to support the dress. It sounds like a beautiful dress and probably it would be best to take it to a seamstress (not to ones at the dry cleaners shop though unless you know that they do excellent work). I am attaching a picture (it is from Bridal Couture by Susan Khalje) where I added a suggestion where the dress can be nipped a tiny bit and a waist stay put in. Just to give you the idea what a foundation of heavy evening gown by Yves Saint Laurent looks like, there is another picture (it is from Clair B. Shaeffer’s Couture Sewing Techicues).

Attachments

• PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 3,903
  • PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 3,905
My sister had the same problem with her dress. If the tailor can't alter it for you in time, you can sew it yourself. My sister was pressed for time too so I sewed in her dress while she was wearing it! Of course, I did it underneath the armpit area so it wasn't noticeable. It's just a temporary fix until you have time to take it to the tailors.