Need help.. is this enough to ask for a partial?

Nov 7, 2005
I bought a book online. It was listed as used. When i got it.. it ended up being a publishers review edition that was reconditioned and sold to a distributor as a used copy for savings. He also sent the book on monday and i won on thursday afternoon. his ad states next day shipping.. but conformation stated monday.

reconditioned = black tape on the parts that stated it was a sample copy by the publisher for academic review. There is also a sticker on there that says that this use to be a publishers review copy but is now a quality used book.

I feel i was mislead and that i thought i was buying a used version of a new book. The covers also looks different. Pics below.

The book new is 120, used is 95, i paid 55. I was thinking of asking for a partial of 20$ or something. opinions please.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280327235608
pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif

Attachments

• 0409091434-00b.jpg
    0409091434-00b.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 0409091433-00b.jpg
    0409091433-00b.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 53
I am not sure. Technically, the book is used. It says it includes all pages and chapters. I don't think the seller did anything wrong. What is it exactly that upsets you about it being a publishers review edition?
ABout the shipping....you could dock him some stars for slow shipping, maybe...but he wasn't that slow. Even though he did say next day!

technically this could be the cost of say a coach bag. retail 120 and i think i bought a used bag which was purchased from the store but instead i get a factory second used.

i guess i am peeved at the fact this is not an original copy which should have originally costed 120. its a reconditioned publishers sample with black tape on it.

well yes. i missed my exam and i specifically told them i needed it to be shipped as promised (next day) or else i wont have it in time.

Well...I think if it does bother you so much, you should bring it up to the seller. Especially about the shipping if you needed it for an exam and it didn't make it on time.

Actually, you got a book that's better than used. Review copies normally get either no use at all or very minimal use (profs just get them and glance through in order to determine if it's worth ordering, or get them and throw them on the shelf). Except for the reconditioning that you describe, is it clean and nice? If so, then the seller did nothing misleading, since it does truly qualify in the trade as a used book (maybe not your understanding of that term).

Now, about the shipping: there, you can have a gripe, I think.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I feel mislead by the seller not fully disclosing the books true condition. I think anyone could have just blacked out the print and made a sticker for it saying it was used. I bought a book once like that where it was an international copy and someone blacked out the words "international edition" and sold it to me as an original.

In the school book world. I personally would not have bidded on this book if i knew it was a reconditioned publishers copy because i will have a hard time reselling it. I doubt the school bookstore will accept it.

I wouldn't order a book that close to the exam because whether the seller mails it the next day or three days later, no one can control the post. Could the seller have been more specific about the book in the description? Based on what you say, yes. But IMO you got a good deal. You could've bought the book in a safer, more reliable place, but you would've paid at least twice more. Sellers often could do better, but if we demand perfection, fBay is not the safest place to find it. KWIM?

Actually i ordered it 7 days in advance. Thurs afternoon. Shipped supposedly Friday and get it Mon priority.

I specifically only bidded on this item from his description one shipping next day. I will bring the book to my school and see if they will accept it as a buy back. if not i will file for a partial.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I feel mislead by the seller not fully disclosing the books true condition. I think anyone could have just blacked out the print and made a sticker for it saying it was used. I bought a book once like that where it was an international copy and someone blacked out the words "international edition" and sold it to me as an original.

In the school book world. I personally would not have bidded on this book if i knew it was a reconditioned publishers copy because i will have a hard time reselling it. I doubt the school bookstore will accept it.

I agree with you 100%. In the textbook world, edition is all-important and if the actual edition was not disclosed, it's SNAD.

An example is a textbook I had for a class not too long ago.

The most recent edition was $180, the edition before that one could be gotten for $6.

Last edited:
Actually i ordered it 7 days in advance. Thurs afternoon. Shipped supposedly Friday and get it Mon priority.

I specifically only bidded on this item from his description one shipping next day. I will bring the book to my school and see if they will accept it as a buy back. if not i will file for a partial.

Then it sounds like the seller skrud up and you have a legitimate claim.

I have lots of academic review books, but I teach the subject. Most of the time the only difference is we have the answers and teaching tips in the margins.

Now, if the book you bought doesn't match the one you were trying to get, are you sure it is the same edition? Or that it isn't an international copy?

If it were me I would definitely send it back. I don't want a book with black tape on it no matter how good the deal was.

technically this could be the cost of say a coach bag. retail 120 and i think i bought a used bag which was purchased from the store but instead i get a factory second used.

Well for one thing there's no such thing as a factory second, the people who sell counterfeit bags say that to try and make them sound like actual brand bags that have been rejected. So that's a bit different.

I realize you want what you thought you were getting, which is a used published book but got an editors copy or w/e. If you were going to add this to your antique book collection or it's a missing piece of a series that has value I would be upset but it's a textbook, the important stuff was inside of the book and from what I've read its all there. I would send an email to the seller letting him know he should have been more specific and stated exactly what it was. Who knows, he might offer you a partial refund but I wouldn't go asking for one. I'd also dock him a star on shipping since he didn't follow through like he stated in the auction.

I've gotten those review copies before and besides the cover they are the same as the real deal. In fact I felt a little special owning an editors copy. I would just concentrate on studies and not let this bother you too much.

This book is not for keep. I buy for the class and resell after. I am glad a few people understand my anger about not getting an original. Even though this has a sticker that says it was recycled and is so called a used copy. The ISBN on the back does not match the originals. It does have the originals ISBN printed on a sticker on the side. Nevertheless this book will never be worth as much as a used original.

I doubt trying to email will do anything since he ignored my original 2 messages about the urgency of shipping on time. I guess i can throw another email then file for a partial. I need the book nevertheless but i feel i overpaid for this second rate book.