need help: great fashion buys in italy and switzerland

In Milan here's an interesting stock-house/outlet:
D Magazine (via Montenapoleone 26, Milano, tel. 02-76006027. Orari: 9.45/19.45
it's just at the end of the famous Montenapoleone street, and u can find brands like Gucci, Helmut Lang, Armani, Prada and others with a good discount.

Hi there!
Firenze is a nice place to shop but I don't think you'll find a lot of bargains. Anyway, as already listed, there is Luisa via Roma but also another shop, called Gerard (Via Vacchereccia, 18/20r), another authorized retailer of Balenciagas. The price is around 850 Euro for the City, and they have many bags! At The Mall outlet they have a Balenciaga store but every time I've been there they never had bags. In via Lambertesca, near to the Uffizi gallery, Gerard has an outlet for clothes and accessories from past seasons. They have excellent bargains there, like 100 Euro for Balenciaga pants or 180 Euro for a pair of MJ sandals. They have a very funky selection! A couple of months ago another huuge outlet opened near Firenze, in Mugello. You can read about it here: http://barberino.mcarthurglen.it/index.php?lang=en. I think it's worth a daytrip!

Ryan- I am not sure where you live, but I have to tell you that I have been to ALL of these outlets at the all of the locations mentioned, and none of them really compare to shopping in either New York City or Paris. You might find deals, but the selection is HORRIBLE. It often has to be pretty ugly or junky to make it to the outlet. In New York, I have the luxury of shopping sales start to finish for the best selection. The difference in cost between a sale at a high end designer store and the outlet is often not at all different.

Eire said:
Ryan- I am not sure where you live, but I have to tell you that I have been to ALL of these outlets at the all of the locations mentioned, and none of them really compare to shopping in either New York City or Paris. You might find deals, but the selection is HORRIBLE. It often has to be pretty ugly or junky to make it to the outlet. In New York, I have the luxury of shopping sales start to finish for the best selection. The difference in cost between a sale at a high end designer store and the outlet is often not at all different.

Yes, that's exactly the point: you have to be either very lucky or have really good eyes, and you might find the deal of the year. That's not true that the selection is always horrible, but I agree that many items are from past seasons (a little bit like Yoox www.yoox.com). By the way, twice a year we also have sales for a couple of months. I think next starts at the beginning of july (the other one in january after the christmas season). Many places go directly half price at that time, although you have to know which are the places that do to take out the leftoverrs of like 10 years ago :cry:. But Eire is right, I bet in NY there is a bigger selection. Still, I see many satisfied overseas shopaholics here in Firenze!

oh gosh you guys! all of you are of amazing help to me! thank you so much!

Eire: i live in Singapore, we do have most of the flagship stores here but well, the selections are not very wide. so i was thinking i'd go overseas and see wot' there waiting for me. as for NY, i'll be going there for my next trip next year. but i can't wait tht long to get my bag! haha! i start school in august and i NEED my bbag! haha. but fingers crossed let's hope i'm lucky like wot flaublucher said.(:

hkstar: thanks for the gazzilion addresses and outlet informations..

these pages are definitely going to be printed out! hah! you guys are amazing! thanks!

Ryan- try for a bbag on ebay and have people here on the PF help you figure out what is fake and what is auth.
As for shopping in NYC- I can tell you the best time to shop is the week before Christmas through the end of January. You will find all the best sales at this time.
I still haven't figured out when to shop during the summer- I am guessing it will be the end of June through the end of July. I've lived here 5 years and have yet to spend the summer in the city!
Anyway- good luck with your trip! Maybe you can swing by Paris- the sales start at the end of July.

I've been to most of the outlets in Italy (I go every year for holiday).

The Prada outlet (Monteviarchi) is a little tough to find, but well worth it IF YOU ARE A SMALL SIZE - especially shoes! Because I'm so tall, I take anywhere from a 10 - 11, so I'm usually out-of-luck in the shoe department. I have, however, found some deals-of-the-century with clothing ... cashmere sweaters, a shearling coat, etc. Remember, this is last seasons stuff ... they DO NOT have the current season merchandise.

The Mall is not far from the Prada outlet (you have to get back on the Autostrada) - the addrress is: Via Europa 8, Leccio, Reggello 50060, Florence, Italy. THIS IS MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE PLACE IN THE WORLD!!! The Mall has a number of high-end designer outlets:
  • Armani (bought a Cashmere Blazer that retailed for $3k at Bloomingdales .. I got it for 85% off!!!!!!!!!!!)
  • Bottega Veneta (my fav), but the prices are still up there
  • Gucci
  • Loro Piano
Here's a list of some of the designers that you can expect to find at The Mall (most of these designers are found within some of the other stores - they do not have their own separate storefronts like Gucci and Bottega Veneta):

Agnona, Alexander McQueen, Armani Jeans, Balenciaga, Bottega Veneta, Burberry, Emanuel Ungaro, Ermenegildo Zegna, Fendi, Giorgio Armani, Gucci, Hogan, I Pinco Pallino, La Perla, Loro Piana, Marni, Pucci, Salvatore Ferragamo, Sergio Rossi, Stella McCartney, Tod's, Valentino, Yohji Yamamoto, Yves Saint Laurent..

Here are some websites to look at:
If you are going to be in Milano or Roma, then you might have to look a little harder for the finds, but believe me ... they are there (I keep a list of all the places that I have found great stuff - I just wish that they would stay in the same place!). Oh yeah ... there is a Henry Beguelin store in Milan if you like his work (I LOVE :heart: it!).

Your best bet would be to get the English version of the "Designer Bargains in Italy" (available at Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/8886132131/qid=1147719200/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-7696498-8023313?s=books&v=glance&n=283155). book. The same book (same title) is available in Italian (if you can read Italian). As would be expected, the Italian version is more comprehensive ... with about 1/2 more listings than the English version.

The other book that you might want to look at is by Suzy Gershman. She has a number of books on "shopping in ...", although, I find it to be less discount/bargain related. It is also available on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0062732021/qid=1147719200/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/102-7696498-8023313?s=books&v=glance&n=283155.

I know that there is a store in Siena that carries Balenciaga bags (and clothing). It's on the main street that runs down towards the Campo (there's also a wonderful jewelry store that sells Locman Watches much cheaper than here).

Here's some "discount" shopping in Roma (Prada, Miu Miu, Gucci, Roberto Cavalli - usually around 50% off).

• IL DISCOUNT DELL' ALTA MODA
    16A Via Gesu e Maria, Tel: 06 322 5006; 06 361 3796
  • IL DISCOUNT DELLE FIRME
    27 Via dei Serviti, Tel: 06 482 7790
  • ATELIER RITZ
    5 Via Frescobaldi, Tel: 6 807 8189
In addition, two Sundays a month, 50+ dealers sell racks of discounted designer goods at "Atelier Ritz", an upscale market in the Grand Hotel Parco dei Principi.

There is another store on Via de Babuino that carries Gucci, Balenciaga, Fendi, etc. - alas, full retail, but they had some really fab stuff (I walked out with two bags full!). Now, if I could remember the name (I'll have to look it up at home).

Cheers!!

argh!!!! oh my goodness! this information is super useful! thanks ceejay!! you're like my new best friend! call me every 5 mintues! haha. ok, i jest.

anyways. flaublucher... u loooove singapore!? hehe.. ok. well, i've lived her for the past 21 years.. novelty wears off after a bit! hah! it's too freaking hott all year round!