Need Help~Gift for DD's graduate school graduation??

Dec 26, 2008
I know this technically isn't about deals with jewelry...but it is about jewelry. Our daughter is graduating in May with a Masters in Social Work~at 23! We gave her money at her undergrad. graduation because she desperately needed it. But this time we want to get her jewelry.

Hubby will go with whatever I decide, so I am thinking a diamond pendant. Here's my question...Would it be ok to give her a journey pendant? They are marketed as a relationship gift~but, I thought the idea of her being on her path, her journey in life was really sentimental. I looked at a few sites just to get prices and we can do a carat for around a thousand. Then there is always the solitare with some small stones around it as well. I saw a very pretty princess cut one on Blue Nile for about 1200-

So what to you all think? I really would like your ideas, opinions, expereinces to help me. As moms or as daughters as well.

I thought about other things~like pearls, or diamond studs, but I keep coming back to the pendant as it seems so memorable for the occasion.

PLEASE...help me ladies!:heart:

Congrats to your daughter first off!!!

I think jewelry is a great gift idea! Does she normally wear necklaces? Because if she does a necklace is a great gift.....

but if she doesnt.... I think diamond studs is also a great gift!

I am 25 and personally dont really wear necklaces.... my mom gave me her 1ct diamond bezel set necklace and it just sits in my jewelry box, where as the diamonds studs I have I wear all the time.

Thanks Courtney!! I appreciate your opinion. Yes, she does wear necklaces almost every day. For casual she does alot of beady type things, but for more formal she had the Tiffany open :heart: which we gave her for her 16th birthday; or a little peace sign on a chain, with also a small star with swarovski crystal. And her birthstone ring~Opal.

She LOVES earrings. But I'm so afraid she would lose one of the pair and then be heartbroken. She also does the long dangly thing or hoops quite a lot.

I tried to post pics of the pendants but couldn't figure it out. But if you go to www.bluenile.com there is a whole section on diamond pendants.

Thank you SO much!! C'mon ladies...keep it coming as I really need the help ;)

If you did the diamond studs, what about with screw backs, that way she wouldnt be scared of losing them....

one of my best friends has lost every single pair of earrings she wears, i kid you not! and her husband bought her screw back studs and she has had them for over 5 years now!

also what about a nice watch?

i have sons but my niece to whom i am very very close is getting her MBA this May and i am either getting her a diamond solitaire pendant or a diamond cross. i have bought her most of her fine jewelry so i wanted a basic for her. she already has all her pearls and diamond studs. i love the idea of the journey pendant!
her mom was my twin sister so she is like my daughter :smile:

I've never thought of a journey pendant as a young woman's necklace. Can some of you other ladies weigh in on that? I'd personally recommend the diamond studs with screw backs. I was so jealous of my friends that got studs for graduation (I got a bracelet that I never wear, even 10 years later).

I've never thought of a journey pendant as a young woman's necklace. Can some of you other ladies weigh in on that? I'd personally recommend the diamond studs with screw backs. I was so jealous of my friends that got studs for graduation (I got a bracelet that I never wear, even 10 years later).

I agree whole heartedly....
I said the same thing about diamond studs with screw backs!

does she have a nice watch? I am around her age and a bunch of my friends are getting watches for graduation (nice ones)... of course I think diamond studs are nice too!

Wow! Thanks everyone for giving me such great feedback!!!

CTgirl~She has a nice Skagen watch. But she isn't eally impressed with watches. I'm the watch girl in the family :smile: I know a pretty Movado that could work~but I thought diamonds of some kind would be very memorable for getting her MSW.

Keep it coming please...I really need the help. I can start looking at things soon as May will sneak up quickly!

Catherine if she likes hoops you could always look around for diamond hoops. As far as a journey pendant I think that's a sweet idea. :biggrin: If you want to check other alternatives, though, you could check out some of the circular/oval pendants. My parents got me one for Christmas one year and I LOVE it. It's dainty, but goes so perfectly with just about anything.

Does she have a favorite color, designer, etc?

i think diamonds are the best gift. i gave my above-mentioned niece her diamond stud earrings when she graduated from highschool. i know - i spoil her but she is such a great young lady. i never really thought of the journey pendant as a relationship type gift. if you think she will love it then get it!
if you decide on the diamond stud earrings definitely get the screw backs.

Tough decisions! Congratulations to your daughter on getting her Masters - you must be very proud of her!

Is there a particular piece of jewellery that your daughter has mentioned in the recent past as something she would like? Can you subtly broach the subject with her? I find that the jewellery my mother has given me as gifts have always been something that I have been absolutely in love with and she is very attuned to my tastes and preferences. It's always a surprise, but always perfect.

I like the idea of diamond studs but I would always subtly check out the person's preferences before purchasing - white gold or yellow gold, claw or rub-round setting, stone cut (brilliant seems to be the most common, but personally I would only wear Asscher cut). And I agree with the suggestions for screw backs - they're a pain to put on and off, but you never have to worry about losing one.

Good luck!

Congrats to your daughter!

I think a journey pendant would be fine, but I think a solitaire would be more classic. I'm late 20's and would prefer a bezel set pendant over a journey pendant. I don't know if the journey pendants are going to become a classic piece or not. I view them as somewhat trendy.

I can't remember what I got for my law school graduation from my parents- I think $500 in cash... but I also needed money more than a thing too b/c I was moving cross country too. The money paid for my U-haul rental and the gas.

Look at pricescope too- you might be able to find a nice deal on stone and mounting through vendors like Good Old Gold, James Allen or Engagement Rings Direct for a bezel pendant.

Another idea- a by the yard necklace. She can wear it everyday and layer it too.

http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/jewelry/diamond-and-sapphire-necklace-by-the-yard-18kt-white-gold

Diamonds by Lauren specializes in colored diamonds and they also have traditional colorless diamonds too. I've not purchased from them- someday- but they get great reviews on other sites.

Last edited: