Need help deciding between 3 bags!! (YSL med college bag, YSL medium envelope bag, LV My lockme BB)

YSL College Medium Bag, YSL Med Envelope bag, YSL Sunset

• Total voters

young1292

Jun 7, 2020
Hi! This is my first luxury bag and i'm stuck between the YSL med college bag, YSL medium envelope bag. or the LV My Lockme BB. I'm looking for an everyday bag that I can also dress up with.

YSL College
Pros:
I like the full chevron design of the YSL college bag, the bag adds a classy yet grungy "cool" look
Cons:
The hardware/chain on the bag is a dark silver and makes the bag look a little dark and dull (i dont like gold hardware). My clothing usually consists of very neutral and dark colors and would like something to stand out just a little bit more.
https://www.ysl.com/us/shop-product...-medium-in-quilted-leather_cod45415288nl.html

YSL envelop
Pros:
I like the chain strap where I can where the bag as a double chain shoulder bag or crossbody. Can dress up or down with this bag. It gives my plain clothing a little style and can go with a lot of style of clothing.
Cons:
the silver strap is SO SHINY, wish it was little toned down. and im not the biggest fan of the different quilted pattern.... wish they had a full chevron design for the medium size /:
https://www.ysl.com/us/shop-product...de-poudre-embossed-leather_cod45503253lc.html

YSl Sunset Medium
Pros:
simple yet stylish classy design which I really like. I feel like i can dress up or down with this bag and goes with most clothing i feel like.
Cons:
People that have the bag: Does the leather scratch easily? How shiny is the chain on this one?

Thank you everyone!! :smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: DrFancyFashion
I have a black with silver hardware YSL sunset and I never found the hardware to be too shiny. Also the chain strap isn‘t very thick so I don‘t really mind it. I‘m currently not home but can take some close-up photos later for you!
Also the leather doesn‘t scratch easily at all. At least I couldn‘t find any scratches on mine. It‘s got a bit of a texture to it so I think that keeps it from scratching

Reactions: Miss World
I have a black with silver hardware YSL sunset and I never found the hardware to be too shiny. Also the chain strap isn‘t very thick so I don‘t really mind it. I‘m currently not home but can take some close-up photos later for you!
Also the leather doesn‘t scratch easily at all. At least I couldn‘t find any scratches on mine. It‘s got a bit of a texture to it so I think that keeps it from scratching
Yes that’s be great!! Thank you

Hi! This is my first luxury bag and i'm stuck between the YSL med college bag, YSL medium envelope bag. or the LV My Lockme BB. I'm looking for an everyday bag that I can also dress up with.

YSL College
Pros:
I like the full chevron design of the YSL college bag, the bag adds a classy yet grungy "cool" look
Cons:
The hardware/chain on the bag is a dark silver and makes the bag look a little dark and dull (i dont like gold hardware). My clothing usually consists of very neutral and dark colors and would like something to stand out just a little bit more.
https://www.ysl.com/us/shop-product...-medium-in-quilted-leather_cod45415288nl.html

YSL envelop
Pros:
I like the chain strap where I can where the bag as a double chain shoulder bag or crossbody. Can dress up or down with this bag. It gives my plain clothing a little style and can go with a lot of style of clothing.
Cons:
the silver strap is SO SHINY, wish it was little toned down. and im not the biggest fan of the different quilted pattern.... wish they had a full chevron design for the medium size /:
https://www.ysl.com/us/shop-product...de-poudre-embossed-leather_cod45503253lc.html

YSl Sunset Medium
Pros:
simple yet stylish classy design which I really like. I feel like i can dress up or down with this bag and goes with most clothing i feel like.
Cons:
People that have the bag: Does the leather scratch easily? How shiny is the chain on this one?

I have the sunset medium in croc embossed leather because I didn’t really want to to be worried about it being scratched easily. As for the chain, It’s not a muted silver color but it’s not that shiny either. It definitely is a lovely bag. It’s hard to decide I know haha. I wanted a college after my sunset, then after lurking here, I wanted the medium envelope with GHW and now I’m leaning towards the Loulou. I’m so confused

I have the sunset medium in croc embossed leather because I didn’t really want to to be worried about it being scratched easily. As for the chain, It’s not a muted silver color but it’s not that shiny either. It definitely is a lovely bag. It’s hard to decide I know haha. I wanted a college after my sunset, then after lurking here, I wanted the medium envelope with GHW and now I’m leaning towards the Loulou. I’m so confused

omg I know, too many choices haha
I was looking into the croc leather too! It’s so cute But I have read that it’s known to be super heavy and could be uncomfortable after a while?

omg I know, too many choices haha
I was looking into the croc leather too! It’s so cute But I have read that it’s known to be super heavy and could be uncomfortable after a while?

I personally don’t think it’s super heavy but I’ve known for carrying my entire kitchen in my bag if you know what I mean. Lol. I think the Chanel boy and the Gucci Dionysus is heavier but that’s just my opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: young1292

YSL College
Pros:
Cons:

YSL envelop
Pros:
Cons:

YSl Sunset Medium
Pros:
Cons:

For you I would most probably recommend the YSL Sunset bag. It is extremely timeless in design and will stand the test of time. It features a classic shape and iconic YSL logo.

The chain straps are not too thick or two shiny, the straps on the College might be too dull for you whilst the straps on the Envelope might be too shiny.

The bag can be worn long with a single strap, doubled up on the shoulder or crossbody which cannot be done with the College bag.

The leather is smooth on the sunset bags which make the bag look extremely luxurious but it also does have a texture to it that makes it less prone to scratches.

The bag fits all your essentials neatly inside and had a back pocket too for your phone. The bag also stands up on its own when placed on a table unlike the envelope bag.

The envelope bag might be too shiny and too busy in pattern for your taste. Whilst the college bag strap might be too long and too dull for what you’re looking for.

Also the college bag is ‘soft structured’ so might soften up and change shape in years to come. The Sunset will retain its shape for decades provided you stuff and store it correctly when not in use. :smile:

Yes that’s be great!! Thank you

You can see up close that the leather has a texture to it which I think keeps it from scratching too easily versus if it was a actual super smooth leather. From far it looks like it‘s a smooth leather but up close you can see the texture it has to it.

I tried showing you the hardware up close and then compared to the overall bag. I guess it does count as shiny silver hardware but I don‘t mind it on this bag as the chain isn‘t super thick and chunky

Attachments

• 124C69FF-56BC-4719-9753-8E3CE67C94C2.jpeg
    124C69FF-56BC-4719-9753-8E3CE67C94C2.jpeg
    444.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 8FB55A70-2E54-487F-8F16-5B76A8079320.jpeg
    8FB55A70-2E54-487F-8F16-5B76A8079320.jpeg
    338.8 KB · Views: 74
  • CE0C10A3-5B3B-4DBD-8947-52C99757D70B.jpeg
    CE0C10A3-5B3B-4DBD-8947-52C99757D70B.jpeg
    379.4 KB · Views: 74
You can see up close that the leather has a texture to it which I think keeps it from scratching too easily versus if it was a actual super smooth leather. From far it looks like it‘s a smooth leather but up close you can see the texture it has to it.

I tried showing you the hardware up close and then compared to the overall bag. I guess it does count as shiny silver hardware but I don‘t mind it on this bag as the chain isn‘t super thick and chunky
Your bag is so beautiful. I love the slight texture to the bag whilst still looking like smooth leather. You should post these pictures in the YSL Sunset thread as well, i'm sure it will be helpful for others who are interested in the bag too. I think the Sunset will be my next purchase, just need to decide if i want the Gold or Silver hardware. :smile:

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/show-me-your-saint-laurent-ysl-sunset-bag.1000108/

Reactions: julia.pa
I regret buying the sunset bag because the divider inside drastically reduces the capacity. I can hardly fit my glasses case because each section is so slim. If it did not have that divider, the bag would be nearly perfect for me.

I have the med college in black shiny / crinkle leather with gold hardware. It fits more than you'd think. The divider inside & back pocket are very convenient. There's a bit of flexibility but the structure does hold it's shape. The chain is a bit thick like some of the earlier chain straps. (Niki large chain in black is thinner.) The chain detaches, you can carry just with the top handle. I'm happy with it.

For you I would most probably recommend the YSL Sunset bag. It is extremely timeless in design and will stand the test of time. It features a classic shape and iconic YSL logo.

The chain straps are not too thick or two shiny, the straps on the College might be too dull for you whilst the straps on the Envelope might be too shiny.

The bag can be worn long with a single strap, doubled up on the shoulder or crossbody which cannot be done with the College bag.

The leather is smooth on the sunset bags which make the bag look extremely luxurious but it also does have a texture to it that makes it less prone to scratches.

The bag fits all your essentials neatly inside and had a back pocket too for your phone. The bag also stands up on its own when placed on a table unlike the envelope bag.

The envelope bag might be too shiny and too busy in pattern for your taste. Whilst the college bag strap might be too long and too dull for what you’re looking for.

Also the college bag is ‘soft structured’ so might soften up and change shape in years to come. The Sunset will retain its shape for decades provided you stuff and store it correctly when not in use. :smile:

Oh wow thanks for all the awesome suggestions!!! :smile: I think I am leaning a little more towards the Sunset bag now hahaha The points you made are exactly what I was thinking too. And the leather looked smooth in photos so I was worried about the durability but didnt realize there are some texture to it! eeek can't wait for store to reopen so I can try it on!