need expert advise on a cartier automatic watch

almostaddict

Oct 1, 2009
Hello evryone,

I badly need your advise as far as getting a cartier automatic watch. My concern is about the maintenance part. How many years do you have your watch serviced? And how much is it? And how many years have you owned the watch before it had its first maint service?

Do you think a rolex is a bettet buy compared to cartier as far as maintenance is concerned?

Maintenance on a Rolex is about $600 to $800 at the Rolex Service Center. They recommend about every 5 years.

I am not familiar with Cartier.

I would any day prefer an automatic watch to a quartz. Quartz movement do never last as long as an automatic and I think you always do a better deal choosing an automatic. Just to get that strait.

The automatic movement in Cartier watches are of much lesser quality compared to a Rolex one. Cartier is a jewlery company and not a watch company. They buy their movements from ETA, which is OK, but ETA movements does in no way compare to the much better quality of the Rolex movements which are developed and produced by Rolex themselves.

Maintenance are probably more expensive on a Rolex (do not know the exact price of Cartier) but the watch will last forever unless you do something really bad to it.

I do not agree with the 5 year maintanace cycle on Rolex, my expirience and the advice I get is closer to 10 years but it varies. Some watches are 7 years some are 15 years before service. It depends how much they are used etc.

I own 6 Rolex watches and take them in for adjustments about once a year (which is free) so they always keep time well. At the same time they check if it is in need for maintanence. I have watches that are more then 7 years old with no sign of maitanence need. The 1997 Daytone I have, have only had one service since 97 and that was about 4 years ago.

So if you are in for the best movement and overall best technically watch, Rolex is by far the best compared to Cartier. As for design and look, that is an individual choice. I love Cartier watches, they are so beautiful but I always end up buying a Rolex as I cannot get my self to buy Cartier due to the lesser quility of their movement.

You will live longer than a Cartier watch, a Rolex will be past on to the next generation.

Last edited:
sublover said:
I would any day prefer an automatic watch to a quartz. Quartz movement do never last as long as an automatic and I think you always do a better deal choosing an automatic. Just to get that strait.

The automatic movement in Cartier watches are of much lesser quality compared to a Rolex one. Cartier is a jewlery company and not a watch company. They buy their movements from ETA, which is OK, but ETA movements does in no way compare to the much better quality of the Rolex movements which are developed and produced by Rolex themselves.

Maintenance are probably more expensive on a Rolex (do not know the exact price of Cartier) but the watch will last forever unless you do something really bad to it.

I do not agree with the 5 year maintanace cycle on Rolex, my expirience and the advice I get is closer to 10 years but it varies. Some watches are 7 years some are 15 years before service. It depends how much they are used etc.

I own 6 Rolex watches and take them in for adjustments about once a year (which is free) so they always keep time well. At the same time they check if it is in need for maintanence. I have watches that are more then 7 years old with no sign of maitanence need. The 1997 Daytone I have, have only had one service since 97 and that was about 4 years ago.

So if you are in for the best movement and overall best technically watch, Rolex is by far the best compared to Cartier. As for design and look, that is an individual choice. I loved Cartier watches, they are so beautiful but I always end up buying a Rolex as I cannot get my self to buy Cartier due to the lesser quility of their movement.

You will live longer than a Cartier watch, a Rolex will be past on to the next generation.

Thank you for this very informative response sublover. This will really help me in my decision.

You are welcome :smile:

Another point is the value of the watch, and historically Rolex have kept the price very well. If you buy the right models you can even make money of them. Personally, my watch collection have increased USD 20.000 in value over the 8 years I have collected them. I have yet never lost money on a single watch, but I also always buy them a couple of years old. I can recommend the trusted selllers on www.rolexforums.com if you are OK with buying pre-owned.

sublover said:
You are welcome :smile:

Another point is the value of the watch, and historically Rolex have kept the price very well. If you buy the right models you can even make money of them. Personally, my watch collection have increased USD 20.000 in value over the 8 years I have collected them. I have yet never lost money on a single watch, but I also always buy them a couple of years old. I can recommend the trusted selllers on www.rolexforums.com if you are OK with buying

Thanks for the link but I would definitely be checking it out.