Need computer HELP!! (m)

luv my bags

Speedy LoVer
O.G.
Nov 17, 2006
Ok, so we just got a new computer (iMac) and right now we have a Dell. How do I swap all of my stuff, or is it just lost?

I am VERY computer illiterate, and don't know where to start. I was going to unplug our old one and get started plugging the new one in, but it's probably not that easy.....right?

Thanks for any/all help, I really NEED it! LOL

Please be more specific... Do you want to swap files, hardware, both? I have both Macs and Windows machines networked at home. I share files, the printer, the internet connection and an external hard drive.

... and yes, it is easy. iMacs are great, mine is four years old, I want to update it once Leopard comes out in October.....

You can do one of two things you can either put all the files you need in one main folder and save it to a USB. You may have to do this in incriments. Or burn the folder with the files to a CD. This you may also have to do in incriments. The apple web page has several wonderful tutorial with step by step guidelines.

If you don't have too much data you can just burn it on a cd and pop that cd into your new pc and just transfer the files over...

Personally, since I use my pc for biz I back up all my files constantly on an external hd that I can plug into any machine easily through a usb...

or you could just take out your hard drive and put it into your new one... Not sure how that works with MACS though...

With a Mac, all you need to do is close your eyes and wish for it. Macs make dreams come true!!

(I'm sorry, I simply can't resist being a smart ass about this topic :smile: )