Need computer help: laptop is plugged in but running from bat power and not charging?

Sternchen

O.G.
May 16, 2006
Hi all you computer-whizes!

I've got a little problem with my Toshiba Satellite A210 laptop that is about 9 months old. I went outside to play with the kids today and left my laptop on to download something. It was plugged in and running from AC power when I left. When I got back I noticed that the little AC light was off and that it was only running on battery power even though it was plugged in.

The charger isn't warm either. Usually when the laptop is plugged in and charging / running from AC power it gets a little warm.

What could be the problem here?? Power adaptor, battery, motherboard??

I tried calling the Warranty hotline but they are already closed, so I will have to call when I get back home from vacation on Friday. Just wondering if any of you have a clue :smile:

It's likely the adapter or cord. My husband also has a Satellite, which I think I purchased about 5 years ago. It had the exact same problem. I replaced both the adapter and cord and it's fine now. I'm pretty sure I picked it up at RadioShack, I vaguely remember taking the machine with me to make sure it was charging properly before I left the store.

Thanks for the tip!

Maybe I will take a trip to the computer store tomorrow to see if they have something there for me...but it's not really a big deal because I won't be here anyway and I have another laptop that I can use.

Just trying to save some money :smile: Since it's still covered under warranty, I want them to pay for it, LOL :P

^ the bios has nothing to do with the incoming power connection. it controls the motherboard, cpu speed, memory timings, etc. either the adapter is bust or the power port on the laptop. chances are, it's the adapter.

if the bios update goes wrong, the laptop is dead and would need a new motherboard (as i don't believe laptops have removable bios chips). either way, the laptop would need to be opened up. don't update the bios unless you absolutely have to, to fix a specific problem the new bios version fixes. in this case, the bios has nothing to do with the problem.

Last edited:
See if you can find another piece of string somewhere that will plug into both wall and puter. If it works with that, you need new string.

If it doesn't work with that, then something inside it that we know you should not try to fool with because if you should be then you would not be asking us, is preventing it from getting juice, and you should just turn it off because you are going to have to take it to a Place.

I am sorry.

just restart it my laptop does thisw when i leave it on and it dies, when i plug it in to use it it wont charge just run on the ac adaptor. turn it off let it sit for a couple minutes with the charger in then turn it on and it should be charging

^ the bios has nothing to do with the incoming power connection. it controls the motherboard, cpu speed, memory timings, etc. either the adapter is bust or the power port on the laptop. chances are, it's the adapter.

if the bios update goes wrong, the laptop is dead and would need a new motherboard (as i don't believe laptops have removable bios chips). either way, the laptop would need to be opened up. don't update the bios unless you absolutely have to, to fix a specific problem the new bios version fixes. in this case, the bios has nothing to do with the problem.

BIOS updates scare the @^#$ out of me just for this reason. I have only done a BIOS update once and I bit my nails out of nervousness until the computer restarted! :faint:

I have tried most of the things that you guys mentioned (restarting, etc) but nothing worked...I def. think that it has to do with the power supply.

I need to take the kids shopping today so I will take the AC adapter with me and see if someone at the computer store can check it out for me. But I definitely will call Toshiba when I get back from vacation to send it in.

Thank goodness for my old Dell dinosaur laptop! lol

Sternchen, computer stores usually have universal power cords for laptops with differently sized plugs, so it's like a one-fits-most power cord. My point is, if you would bring the laptop with you, you could try it at the store and see if it works with a new power cord.

BTW, it will be around 40 Euros. (I've had to replace my power cord twice on my old laptop.)

This happened to my Mac...when I took it in the guy said this can happen to every single laptop brand (and often does). You need to take the battery out, unplug the cord, wait a few seconds, and put the battery back in and the cord in. It should turn on.
It's something about the battery not communicating with the cord and taking the battery out and unplugging the cord resets everything.

If that doesn't work, then you probably have a cord problem.