Need completely new wardrobe- books, ideas, help?

lacoccinelle

Jan 4, 2012
As I said ^. Long story short, I didn't buy a single new item of clothing for about 4 years except maternity clothes. None of my old clothes fit (my hips are a different size).

So I need to start over. I'm reading through old threads on 'essential' pieces, so far I've finally found some proper jeans and a plain white t shirt that is very flattering. I have my new lingerie.

What books would you recommend? I am 30 and a stay at home mom, the fanciest place I go in a week is the grocery store (eek) but I still want to look good.

This is fun! Here would be my list for you:

-several good pairs of jeans: 1 skinny, 1 bootcut, etc (you pick what you like)
-a classic white button down (can be tucked in and belted with jeans, or dressed up)
-basic white and black tanks (I like the Mossimo ones at target, super cheap too)
-cardigans (a great everyday uniform would be jeans, tank, cardigan, flats - easy!)
-shoes (do you need new shoes? 1 or 2 pair flats, sandals, etc)
-belt (skinny belt for when you tuck things in)
-a few tunic-y tops ( great for when you are having a fat day, at least thats what I love about tunic tops!)

I don't dress up and it sounds ilke you don't either so I wouldn't worry about dressy pants or anything like that. Howveer you could also get some casual dresses but thats not really my thing. Anyways, thats my list of what might be a good start for you!

I don't know your price range, but as far as jeans go, I would head to norides and have then help you. Or GAP has good jeans too. As far as tops go, if you are on a budget, old navy can at times have some cute stuff. Wont last long but thats the point.

Also, don't forget to buy things in the right size!

i would say go to your most comfortable dept store for your preference and book an appt with a stylist and buy some basis and take few notes from her.
they do that for a living and a good one would not push you to buy more or expensive stuff.

My advice is not to rush. Buy a few basic pieces to get you through this period but give yourself time to build up your wardrobe piece by piece. There are many books/blogs on the subject, so take your time reading and enjoying them. Look through magazines and tear out pages of things that you like and put them in a folder. Then view them again leisurely and you will see what appeals to you.
Have fun!

My advice is not to rush. Buy a few basic pieces to get you through this period but give yourself time to build up your wardrobe piece by piece. There are many books/blogs on the subject, so take your time reading and enjoying them. Look through magazines and tear out pages of things that you like and put them in a folder. Then view them again leisurely and you will see what appeals to you.
Have fun!

Not rushing is great advice. I'm working on redoing my own wardrobe and unless you have an unlimited budget taking it slow is important. It takes time to really think about what you actually need, and then to find the perfect piece to fit your need. I really think that if I had gone out and bought a bunch of stuff right when I decided I needed a new wardrobe I would have ended up with a bunch of stuff I didn't end up liking because it takes time to develop style.

As I said ^. Long story short, I didn't buy a single new item of clothing for about 4 years except maternity clothes. None of my old clothes fit (my hips are a different size).

So I need to start over. I'm reading through old threads on 'essential' pieces, so far I've finally found some proper jeans and a plain white t shirt that is very flattering. I have my new lingerie.

What books would you recommend? I am 30 and a stay at home mom, the fanciest place I go in a week is the grocery store (eek) but I still want to look good.

i'm in a similar situation. i have a 18-month old and i still haven't lost about 10 pounds of my pregnancy weight. while i shopped "regular" clothes during various stages of my weight gain and loss, i still can't wear them. :sad: moreover, most of my pre-pregnancy clothes don't fit or aren't my style anymore (i'm in my late thirties and they make me look like i'm trying super hard to look younger).

anyway, if you found a good pair of jeans or two, i'd say buy a comfy yet stylish long cardigan in good material. they go with everything. also for me, i purchased a few DVF dresses (non wrap style) on sale and i wear them everywhere ... from a date night with DH to grocery shopping. they make me look stylish without much effort. :biggrin:

i also agree with "not rushing." i totally rushed last summer and bought bunch of clothes (all in very similar styles) that i don't think i'll be wearing all that much. :sad:

I suggest:
-At least two good, comfortable, well fitting pairs of jeans
-A knee length jersey wrap dress, these are very flattering and comfy too while looking good
-A well fitting silk shirt which can be tucked into jeans, in a neutral colour
-A good thin leather belt in a neutral colour
-Colourful cardigans in different lengths
-Good quality V-Neck jumpers
-Colourful scarves and accessories to match cardigans/jumpers which can be round the neck, as a belt or tied to a handbag.

From there you have a pretty good set of basics which can be dressed up or down. I really love the book 'The Sartorialist' which contains hundreds of pictures of fashionable people. Some of the outfits are a bit wild but there are elements which are inspiring in each outfit, and I've got a lot of ideas from there, it's great for layering help.

Thanks everyone, I am printing off & digesting this list.

RE: Stylists
Is there some sort of standard qualification? I live in a small town and there is a stylist at our local mall but this is just... a failing mall, iykwim?? I suppose it would be worth it to travel 1 hour to the "big city" (Montreal, Quebec) instead? How do I know what to look for? I would be very interested in that as I am pretty clueless.

Your ideas are all very helpful thanks. As a stay at home mom, my budget is pretty low but I'm willing to take it slow. it's hard to find fitting pants most of all, it seems my hips are 2" wider, despite losing baby weight. So none of my old pants fit properly (baggy in the butt but too tight at the hip bones). 10lb baby ruined me!