Need advice with this strange transaction

Apr 30, 2011
Hi all! I wanted to get your advice on this issue I am having. Two days ago, someone bid on an item of mine and won. They didn't pay until today and here's the weird part. 4 minutes before they paid for the item, they opened an item not received claim with paypal... Around 4 hours later, they sent me an ebay message saying that they paid for the item via paypal but the address is incorrect and included the address they want the item to be sent to. Oh I must add that this is an international buyer. The two addresses are in the same country but different addresses.

I just got off the phone with Paypal and they said I have two options, they can cancel the whole thing or they can contact the buyer to get the address confirmed and then give me the OK to send the item to them. If I get the OK from Paypal to ship to the new address, they said I will be protected because they will have the address in their records.

Now my question to you is, if I get the OK from Paypal, I should be fine to complete the sale, right? What else could the buyer do to cause trouble? I just want to get some advice because I am kinda confused about what is the best option for me. Thanks!

I'm not comfortable with paypal's advice. The transaction itself (in your details page of the PP transaction) has to have the approved shipping address as the ship to address.

If she calls them and they add it to her account, you'll still be shipping to an address other than what was approved when she paid.

If you want to go through with the transaction, you need to refund the payment and she has to repay, making sure that she puts in the correct address.

Note that you got a defect on your account when she opened a dispute so I'm not sure you should even go through with it.

Hi all! I wanted to get your advice on this issue I am having. Two days ago, someone bid on an item of mine and won. They didn't pay until today and here's the weird part. 4 minutes before they paid for the item, they opened an item not received claim with paypal... Around 4 hours later, they sent me an ebay message saying that they paid for the item via paypal but the address is incorrect and included the address they want the item to be sent to. Oh I must add that this is an international buyer. The two addresses are in the same country but different addresses.

I just got off the phone with Paypal and they said I have two options, they can cancel the whole thing or they can contact the buyer to get the address confirmed and then give me the OK to send the item to them. If I get the OK from Paypal to ship to the new address, they said I will be protected because they will have the address in their records.

Now my question to you is, if I get the OK from Paypal, I should be fine to complete the sale, right? What else could the buyer do to cause trouble? I just want to get some advice because I am kinda confused about what is the best option for me. Thanks!

I don't believe PP's advice is correct. You need to ship to the address provided on the transaction page - per PP policy. PP will suddenly "forget" the conversation you had with them if any problems arise and tell you "you should have shipped to the address on the transaction page."

So if the buyer wants to change the address then you need to refund the payment made, the buyer needs to add the new address to their PP account and then repay. Anything else is just opening up a whole can of worms.

I didn't think a buyer could open an "item not received" case when no payment had been made - particularly with PP - as surely it will sense whether there was a payment for a transaction? Are you sure it was before payment and not immediately afterwards?

Regardless, there is something quite dodgy about a buyer who opens a case before payment and then wants an item posted to a different address. I'd step away if I were you.

I wouldn't go through with this transaction. This is a major headache waiting to happen.

I'm not comfortable with paypal's advice. The transaction itself (in your details page of the PP transaction) has to have the approved shipping address as the ship to address.

If she calls them and they add it to her account, you'll still be shipping to an address other than what was approved when she paid.

If you want to go through with the transaction, you need to refund the payment and she has to repay, making sure that she puts in the correct address.

Note that you got a defect on your account when she opened a dispute so I'm not sure you should even go through with it.

Thank you for your advice, and I totally agree!

I don't believe PP's advice is correct. You need to ship to the address provided on the transaction page - per PP policy. PP will suddenly "forget" the conversation you had with them if any problems arise and tell you "you should have shipped to the address on the transaction page."

So if the buyer wants to change the address then you need to refund the payment made, the buyer needs to add the new address to their PP account and then repay. Anything else is just opening up a whole can of worms.

I didn't think a buyer could open an "item not received" case when no payment had been made - particularly with PP - as surely it will sense whether there was a payment for a transaction? Are you sure it was before payment and not immediately afterwards?

Regardless, there is something quite dodgy about a buyer who opens a case before payment and then wants an item posted to a different address. I'd step away if I were you.

You bring up a good point about Paypal "forgetting" the convo and screwing me over. I would for sure not ship to an address that's not on the official transaction summary as I am always scared of what could happen, don't need that hassle!

I didn't know that was even possible either, which is why I was SO confused! I triple checked to make sure. The Paypal guy was confused too and told me that maybe it might have been a glitch. BUT guess what? I just checked the claim details, it shows the comments either party has made and I used google to translate what the buyers comment was (its in French). Its basically what she said to me in the ebay message about it being the wrong address. I am even more confused now!!! Why would paypal let her open a claim for something that is HER own fault? If you have multiple addresses, make sure you have the correct one before you send a payment! If its an issue with the address, why open a claim stating item was not received? Ugh.

Seems fishy, I would cancel whole sale. To go ahead & file item not received before payment was made is just trouble already. She should have contacted you about the address issue before filing an INR.

Always be sure that the address on the paypal account is the one where you ship to. I have heard terrible stories about sellers losing both item & money because they shipped to address not listed on paypal.

Good luck to you!

I'd cancel the transaction. If this buyer was so quick to open an INR can you imagine
what else she might be capable of doing compounded by this being an international
transaction?

I'd refund & relist & block this buyer...

Also, paypal very conveniently "forgets their conversations" & in many
cases will favor the buyer like I received an empty box... IYKWIM

Last edited:
Thank you for your advice, and I totally agree!

You bring up a good point about Paypal "forgetting" the convo and screwing me over. I would for sure not ship to an address that's not on the official transaction summary as I am always scared of what could happen, don't need that hassle!

I didn't know that was even possible either, which is why I was SO confused! I triple checked to make sure. The Paypal guy was confused too and told me that maybe it might have been a glitch. BUT guess what? I just checked the claim details, it shows the comments either party has made and I used google to translate what the buyers comment was (its in French). Its basically what she said to me in the ebay message about it being the wrong address. I am even more confused now!!! Why would paypal let her open a claim for something that is HER own fault? If you have multiple addresses, make sure you have the correct one before you send a payment! If its an issue with the address, why open a claim stating item was not received? Ugh.

Agree with previous posters - this buyer is sounding alarm bells for me for more than one reason. Refund her and ask her to repay using the correct address - see what she does.

Who is to say that some wingnut PP rep didn't tell Buyer to proceed by filing a claim? They give out daft info a lot. OP, I agree with those advising you to cancel the transaction. Too unsafe to do something that violates PP's written policies, no matter what they say by phone.

I agree with the other ladies and say cancel! How can someone open an INR claim before actually paying for the item? That's scary and unfair to the seller.

I have been away from Ebay for a while now but I just discovered that if a buyer contacts the seller then a claim is automatically opened, regardless of what the question is about. This has happened to me as a buyer. I was merely trying to get tracking information, and this resulted in an automatic case against the seller. If you look in Ebay's policies, it will state something similar. It is possible that your buyer was just trying to get in touch with you and didn't even know this was going to happen.

If this is the case, then I would explain the situation to him/her, give a refund and asked to be repaid with the correct address on the payment. Hope this helps!

Just curious... Do you know if it's possible for sellers to remove that defect?

Especially in this case, it ought to be pretty clear that the buyer should not have been able to open an INR at all.