Need advice pls, completed transaction OUTSIDE of ebay- how safe is this??

izziebee

Aug 18, 2008
:sad:Okay, have to let this out as i'm already losing sleep because of it. Brief background:

Found this bag on ebay and fell in love with it (LV Manhattan). Seller specified that it was a USA auction only (i live in OZ) so my darling husband emailed the seller to find out whether she would agree shipping it to Australia, explaining that we have a confirmed address with Paypal and have purchased 3 other LV bags in the past 10 days or so from international sellers. Hubby wanted this particular bag for me for our upcoming wedding anniversary (yes, he's a sweetheart!) So were really chuffed to hear back from the seller saying that it's ok, she will ship internationally in this particular instance as she felt the "genuineness" of the request. So hubby had gone ahead to pay for the bag thru the BIN option, but a message appeared to say that the item cannot be sent to an address other than the US therefore we cannot proceed with the payment. Emailed the seller about this and suggested to change the listing to accept international bidders so hubby can pay for it. She emailed back to say that she cannot change her listing at this stage as there were already bidders on the item. She then said that she will just send us the invoice thru paypal and pay thru there. And so she ended the auction on ebay and sent us the paypal invoice. Hubby was so excited and paid for it then and there without realizing that we actually completed the transaction outside of ebay! He was forced to tell me what happened (as opposed to it being a surprise originally) as i think he also secretly got worried about it! So i emailed the seller to find out when she will mail out the bag and have not received a reply. It might be early days yet (i know it's still the weekend in the US)..but can't help getting concerned.This happened on Friday. My question is, are we still protected by ebay and paypal if something happens? Funds came out of our bank account and not thru CC.
It was a careless decision on our part i guess, and it really boils to down to hubby's excitement of finally getting this bag for me. I would feel so sorry for him if something goes wrong! I have kept all email correspondence between us and the seller, kept the details of the listing, even printed the auction so i have it in hard paper. On the other hand, maybe we are just worrying too much, maybe the seller is honest and have just been busy to reply to our emails. What are your thoughts? I feel so much better already for sharing this with you all. thanks in advance for your input.....

personally I would have paid by CC through Paypal for the added protection. You will have Paypal protection but not ebay as you say you didnt use ebay.
Check the sellers feedback and see if it is good. I would try not to worry for now. Maybe she is away from her computer and cant answer questions at the weeend. Keep us posted, good luck.

personally I would have paid by CC through Paypal for the added protection. You will have Paypal protection but not ebay as you say you didnt use ebay.
Check the sellers feedback and see if it is good. I would try not to worry for now. Maybe she is away from her computer and cant answer questions at the weeend. Keep us posted, good luck.

Thanks for your reply, yes i guess i shouldn't worry too much about it for now but can't help it! Have just checked her feedback, 2 negs, one was for an LV bag that the buyer apparently didn't receive, she responded to it by saying that the buyer left her hasty feedback without allowing time to receive the item...let's hope it's the truth!

Okay, call me paranoid but we have not heard back from the seller yet since Friday, despite 2 emails hubby sent today...are we really just worrying for nothing? So sorry...you're welcome to tell me to CHILL! I just wish this seller would give us peace of mind. :sweatdrop:

Okay, I'll tell you..... CHILL.....CHILL...... CHILL.....
Remember people go away for weekends and perhaps that's what's happened to this seller. Don't worry, you've really no need to at this stage.

I had completed transaction outside Ebay a year ago. I saw this bag for £600 and thought was bit too much as it was used and auction ended without bid. So emailed the seller if she wanted I'd pay £550 and she agreed. The seller had only 2 postive feedback but I trusted her as she had local address. I paid via Ppal and received the bag a very next day. Hopefully your seller is as good as mine.
There are some very nice people out there so you might be lucky this time.
However I wouldn't dream of buying on Ebay at the moment let alone completing transaction outside Ebay as there are so many scams and problems out there at the moment.
I am sure it'll work out for for you but please be careful in future and good luck!
Let us know how it turns out pls.

i'm sure it will be fine, if she was scamming people she wouldn't have good fb and we would of heard of her on here lol. Don't panic i'm sure you will hear soon

Thanks menopausalmama and bags4us..will keep you posted. I guess after 2 bad experiences with ebay sellers lately, i am also questioning myself whether it's all worth the hassle. (i filed a non-receipt for an LV bag with pay pal and an SNAD for a fake Chloe bag)...thank GOd Paypal sided with me on both of these transactions. Honestly, if it was ME and not my hubby, i wouldn't have gone through with this transaction at all...you're right, too many scams and problems at the moment. I blame this forum for triggering my bag addiction...LOL:P Oh well, here's me praying that all will be okay in the end. $2000.00 (AUd) is a lot to lose! Will definitely let you know how everthhing goes. Wish me luck...:lecture:I promise to be on a bag ban after this for the rest of the year...or may be until Xmas. thanks for all your patience...

i'm sure it will be fine, if she was scamming people she wouldn't have good fb and we would of heard of her on here lol. Don't panic i'm sure you will hear soon

Thanks Von...btw, cute dog! I have a similar one (****zhu X Maltese?)...sorry, i'm going off the subject..well at least it has helped calm my nerves.

Can anyone say for sure sure WHAT the protection from Paypal actually is??? I have done this a few times - sent a PP invoice to buyer after the auction was over and my item didn't sell. I thought PP would cover you if the buyer was verified/confirmed? Luckily I have not had any problems, but getting a little paranoid reading all the stuff here. Is it best just to do a BIN on Ebay and get buyer to purchase that way? I mena is that the ONLY way you'll be covered for the full amount of the bag? Of course I know ebay wants their cut, but wondering how I am covered if I just send PP invoice?:shrugs:

You should be able to dispute the charge through your bank if you purchased something that was never delivered... that is if the time comes around that you don't actually have what you all were buying.