Need advice/opinions regarding Somerset Tote

dignatius

Nov 3, 2015
I've just discovered Mulberry leather and am now going overboard, as is typical for me :smile: I've recently become the proud owner of an Oak Phoebe and and 2-tone choc/oak Alana. but I still can't stop looking!

I'm currently looking at a gorgeous Choc NVT Somerset Tote for a very reasonable price (already authenticated here) but I continue to waffle for the following reasons:

1) I don't carry a lot (i..e The Alana works fine for me). Does the Somerset tote tend to droop everywhere or puddle on the floor if it isn't stuffed?

2) Medium sized bags of 12-13" width tend to look right for my figure (5' 3", size 16) but I'm wondering if this bag would still work because of it's triangular shape or if it will swamp me especially in a dark color.

There is a no return policy on the bag so I would appreciate insight from current/former Somerset owners before I make a call.

Thanks in advance!

I've just discovered Mulberry leather and am now going overboard, as is typical for me :smile: I've recently become the proud owner of an Oak Phoebe and and 2-tone choc/oak Alana. but I still can't stop looking!

I'm currently looking at a gorgeous Choc NVT Somerset Tote for a very reasonable price (already authenticated here) but I continue to waffle for the following reasons:

1) I don't carry a lot (i..e The Alana works fine for me). Does the Somerset tote tend to droop everywhere or puddle on the floor if it isn't stuffed?

2) Medium sized bags of 12-13" width tend to look right for my figure (5' 3", size 16) but I'm wondering if this bag would still work because of it's triangular shape or if it will swamp me especially in a dark color.

There is a no return policy on the bag so I would appreciate insight from current/former Somerset owners before I make a call.

Thanks in advance!

I've not got a Somerset tote but have a look at a Euston. You may find that a good oldie but goodie too. I love my older ladies in my collection. I always thought the Somerset tote was a big of a saggy bag for me but you can stop that via a liner. Have a look through the reference library for the other oldies you can get that may float your boat... :biggrin:

Love the liner suggestion! It would help with the puddling issue for sure especially if its a tall liner. Took a look at the Euston but am not sold on the vertical stripes. I agree with you that the older darwin bags (oh that scent!) are something special and I certainly appreciate the character that comes with preloved bags. Although I will admit that the black grime on my Alana's strap does bother me a little. A post for another day, I think :smile:

I love preloved, the majority of my bags are as I'm not such a fan of most of the new designs.
I like the Somerset tote, why not give it a go and if you don't get on sell it.

Well, the bag arrived in record time and no regrets at all! The triangular/tapered design appears proportional on me (whew!). The bag does sit up on its own even when it's empty so both my concerns have been alleviated. That being said: I now know that I'm a Darwin leather girl all the way. NVT is nice but it doesn't really stand out from a lot of the other brands out there.

It's interesting that in the US, black is the preferred winter handbag color by a mile. I hardly see chocolate bags, which is strange because I think brown leather is far more interesting as it has more depth of color.