Need advice on what to wear to a Muslim wedding

Dentist22

Oct 3, 2012
The title says it all. I don't want to be disrespectful and it is really hard to find something long-sleeved and not open-backed, with a high slit, etc. I can't spend too much.

Last edited:
Long sleeve
http://www.shabbyapple.com/shop/clothing/modest/margot-dress-blue

3/4 sleeve/mid-length skirt - this one is my fave
http://www.shabbyapple.com/shop/clothing/modest/ali-dress-burgundy

Long skirt
http://www.shabbyapple.com/shop/clothing/modest/river-glade-dress

Looks like people are saying that the most important things are to cover your shoulders/chest and have a modest hemline. Are you sure the sleeves have to be long? Definitely limits the dress search! :smile:

I'm not actually sure they need to be long! Good question, I'll find out tomorrow.

Probably a long sleeve and a trouser/ long skirt. But shouldn't you just 'be yourself'?
It's nice of you to want to wear their "right thing" but I wonder if the invitation was vice-versa, would they wonder what to wear? Or just wear their 'normal' clothes?

Why not try the Carolina Herrera look? I always thought her crisp white shirt with a maxi skirt was understated elegance, easy and its covered up. You could glam it up with clutch, heels,belt, accessories etc.

I think if you were invited then they appreciate your presence and welcome you and they know how you dress already and they haven't considered it a problem. A knee length dress with a shawl should work fine or just be yourself. Muslim weddings especially arab wedding are fun, you will be surprised!

Hi! I went to one and wore a black jumpsuit while my friend wore a simple sleeveless dress. We were both fine, nobody seemed to mind. There wasn't a dress code given to us. It was a great and fun experience. I'm sure you'll have fun as well. :smile:

i think it doesn't have to be long sleeve, i've been to some muslim wedding and i think it's okay to wear short sleeve, or maybe just below the elbow. modest neckline and something below the knee and not too tight and you're fine :smile:
or if it's gonna be easier for you you can always wear any dress you have and wrap it with a scarf or shawl

Half or full sleeves are fine and something below the knee is good but nothing that shows cleavage or too tight or you could just go for a tasteful pant suit. Be sure to wear a scarf :smile:

Also stay away from white (muslims bury their dead in white) and black (inauspicious color) and red if the bride is pakistani/indian/afgani because the bride will be dressed in red more than likely.

Definitely feel free to dress up your outfit with heavy jewelry if you have any and of course makeup

Have fun & eat loads of yummy food! :woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

The two Muslims weddings I have attended (of Lebanese origins if it makes any difference ) were full of Muslim ladies wearing skintight Herve Leger dresses and sky high Louboutins so I don't think there is a need to cover up unless they are very strict .

Where is the wedding? Because that makes a difference. I attended Muslim weddings in London and non Muslims simply wear their normal clothes. I wore a dress and a hat. If the wedding is in, say Pakistan or Saudi, i would check with the other guests or the mother of the bride and dress like they do. There is a dress code to be cracked there.

The two Muslims weddings I have attended (of Lebanese origins if it makes any difference ) were full of Muslim ladies wearing skintight Herve Leger dresses and sky high Louboutins so I don't think there is a need to cover up unless they are very strict .

I think it does make a difference. Some muslims are more strict than others. My friend is Tunisian and her husband Lebanese, when she was in Lebanon she was shocked at the attire and audaciousness of the women. Not in a bad way but say less strict than say Morroccan muslims. That is a generality as everyone expresses themselves differently.
Forgot to add. You should be fine with a dress you already have. If it is what you may think too low cut, add a shawl as others have suggested. Have fun, eat and danse all night!