Need advice on single flap options

luvbags29

O.G.
Feb 23, 2012
I am hoping to buy my first preloved single flap bag. I am unable to go to a boutique to try anything on and so I need your help. I'm looking for a single flap bag in either black lambskin or black caviar that can be worn either crossbody or as a double strap option over the shoulder. I am 5'8'' so I need a longer chain option. What do you suggest as I begin my hunt for the perfect bag. I have been looking into the Chanel vintage jumbo single flap as well as the mini. Would either of these work as a crossbody or as a double strap? I appreciate any feedback and all suggestions. I appreciate your willingness to help me out on this search!!!!

i have both of the bags you're considering, so let me share my thoughts:

-vintage jumbo flap: at 5'8, the chain length may actually work well crossed body. however, the dimensions of the bag may make it look bulky. The vintage jumbo is slightly larger than the current jumbo - ~0.5 inches in length and height. In my opinion, this is best used as a double chain bag.

-mini: i have the rectangular mini and it falls perfectly on me as a cross body - I'm 5'4. The bag will fall short on someone of your height. i'd recommend the square mini as the chain is slightly longer. The chain on both minis can be doubled up.

I'd actually suggest looking into a medium boy bag or into a reissue 226/227. It meets (on paper at least) all your requirements: single flap, cross body, double chain

good luck!

i have both of the bags you're considering, so let me share my thoughts:

-vintage jumbo flap: at 5'8, the chain length may actually work well crossed body. however, the dimensions of the bag may make it look bulky. The vintage jumbo is slightly larger than the current jumbo - ~0.5 inches in length and height. In my opinion, this is best used as a double chain bag.

-mini: i have the rectangular mini and it falls perfectly on me as a cross body - I'm 5'4. The bag will fall short on someone of your height. i'd recommend the square mini as the chain is slightly longer. The chain on both minis can be doubled up.

I'd actually suggest looking into a medium boy bag or into a reissue 226/227. It meets (on paper at least) all your requirements: single flap, cross body, double chain

good luck!

I really appreciate your help and all the information!!! I am looking at the vintage small single flap.. Do you know if that one has a longer strap that can be crossbody and if the chain can also be doubled? I am now wondering if the vintage jumbo wouldn't be too large on my small frame, since I"m quite tall and thin. I also love the look of the more "classic" style with the turncock closure, so I'm not sure if the boy or reissue has that closure or classic style. I'm so new at this.....

I really appreciate your help and all the information!!! I am looking at the vintage small single flap.. Do you know if that one has a longer strap that can be crossbody and if the chain can also be doubled? I am now wondering if the vintage jumbo wouldn't be too large on my small frame, since I"m quite tall and thin. I also love the look of the more "classic" style with the turncock closure, so I'm not sure if the boy or reissue has that closure or classic style. I'm so new at this.....

The classic flaps (vintage or current) with the exception of the minis, were not designed to be worn cross body unfortunately. I've only seen 1 person successfully wear a classic flap cross body ... but she stood at at around 4'9. In terms of the vintage jumbo - I know this sounds silly, but place an A4 sheet of paper on the side of your body - that's roughly the size of a vintage jumbo (maybe 0.5 inch bigger). You can also google Chrissy Teigen's vintage jumbo chanel for reference - she's ~5'9 I believe.

The boy and reissue do not have the CC turnlock closure. The boy has a push closure and the reissue has the flat rectangular turnlock.

I know you mentioned you'd prefer a pre-loved bag, but in the current season, there are a few single flaps with the CC closure available. Of course, these bags are seasonal - so they don't have the classic flap look.

The best places to turn to for single flaps are websites like Fashionphile and Yoogi's Closet. I bought my single flap caviar (grained calf) Jumbo from Fashionphile. I am 5'10", medium bone and between thin and athletic build (size 8/medium). The Jumbo looks great because of my height, and the chain is long enough for crossbody or shoulder carry (when doubled).

The classic flap (like mine) has the "CC" at the turnlock closure. The 2.55/Reissue has the Mademoiselle lock ( no "CC", just a metal rectangle). All 2.55 single flaps have the aged calfskin or lambskin (slightly wrinkled), unlike the classic flaps that have poofy quilting. Some fabric versions of both can be found, too.

I tried medium and the new medium (slightly larger) boy bags. They looked awful!!! I looked like I had phone books hanging at my hip. The chains were too short to crossbody. Some people carry the boy bags beautifully; they are waaaaaaaaaay too boxy for me.

One good thing about purchasing from one of the prominent online consignment sights is their return policy. Be sure to check, but most have a thirty day return policy. This is great if the size doesn't workout or it's too heavy, or whatever.

Best of luck on finding that Chanel of your dreams. Let us know what happens.

Reactions: cjj