Need Advice on Shipping to Non-Confirmed address

PayPal will only cover US sellers in transactions (with a confirmed address) in the US, Canada, and the UK. It is common for addresses to be confirmed WITHIN the home country but not internationally; for example, a confirmed Australian address will only provide protection for Australian transactions, not a US-Australia transaction.

Someone recommended insurance: Insurance will not help... if the post office says it was delivered, they will not reimburse, but PayPal won't have any qualms about honoring a chargeback. They would much rather provide a fraudulent refund than run the risk of disputing a chargeback with the CC company and being left holding the bag (pun intended). They know that they might anger a seller, but they're the 800 pound gorilla, and the seller is forced to continue using PayPal if they intend to sell any volume on eBay.

I personally don't accept PayPal internationally, which is very easy to set up in PP Profile (payment receiving preferences). BidPay, international money orders, and for expensive items (> $1000 or so) wire transfers work fine.

I agree. Though I do ship to unconfirmed addresses for certain international bidders with high feedback (100+) from certain countries (Japan, France), the value never exceeds $500. If they have super high feedback, such as 500+, I usually don't mind shipping it internationally to MOST countries.

However, I always use a service that's relatively fast with tracking information avaliable online and insurance and requires a signature (my preference is USPS Global Express). So if Paypal does somehow do a chargeback, you can still submit your information and hope for the best. There's not much you can do about certain situations, but you can protect yourself for the most part.

As for your particular situation with the Korean buyer, I wouldn't do it. Low feedback, lack of response, and high value means a VERY HIGH risk for you as a seller.

I hope that helps.

PayPal will only cover US sellers in transactions (with a confirmed address) in the US, Canada, and the UK. It is common for addresses to be confirmed WITHIN the home country but not internationally; for example, a confirmed Australian address will only provide protection for Australian transactions, not a US-Australia transaction.

Someone recommended insurance: Insurance will not help... if the post office says it was delivered, they will not reimburse, but PayPal won't have any qualms about honoring a chargeback. They would much rather provide a fraudulent refund than run the risk of disputing a chargeback with the CC company and being left holding the bag (pun intended). They know that they might anger a seller, but they're the 800 pound gorilla, and the seller is forced to continue using PayPal if they intend to sell any volume on eBay.

I personally don't accept PayPal internationally, which is very easy to set up in PP Profile (payment receiving preferences). BidPay, international money orders, and for expensive items (> $1000 or so) wire transfers work fine.

OK - here is the update. I did hear back from the seller and what I did was I am shipping it via Global Express that has signature confirmation, tracking information and I insured the package for the full value.

The buyer should be receiving it within 3-5 days. I am still a bit nervous, but I feel I have done everything I can.

I just want to protect my 100% rating and against any potential fraud (read too many scary stories here on TPF).

Keep your fingers crossed!

I will keep my fingers crossed, and most likely, this transaction will be fine (as 99.9+% are).

My point is simply that you are NOT covered under PayPal's Seller Protection program. It does not matter if you get signature verification, tracking, etc. You could have a video of the buyer receiving the item, and it would not cover you. In my experience, PayPal takes the easy way out almost 100% of the time, and the easy way out is to approve a refund when they have not explicitly covered you under the plan.

In any case, most likely you'll be fine. My nature is to have airbags, seatbelts, etc.

I bought an LV bag on ebay recently and I was new to ebay so I had 0 feedback. I'm from the Philippines so I had an unconfirmed address as well.

Long story short, the seller was very nice (I offered to buy insurance and she said it wasn't necessary) and she sent the bag out to a friend of mine in the US, also address unconfirmed. She even paid a bit for extra shipping to send me the LV box! It all worked out just great and i'm so glad she trusted me.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that yours works out just fine! :yes: