Need advice on purchasing replacement chain strap...

imunlisted

Mar 19, 2018
Hello!
I'm new to BV (I'm a Givenchy/Ferragamo girl) but my cousin is everything, anything BV and is starting to convert me. Right now I only have a black BV biletto, but I use it more as a clutch or catchall (I switch bags a lot and need a big one for work). I realized I couldn't find the chain strap a few weeks ago and called my local BV boutique (I did not buy it there). They said they would need to call their "repair office" and see if there was a strap they could send me (for a price; not sure about amount yet). They said they would let me know in about 2 weeks. I went in and filled out a request form, left my info...etc. The manager did tell me that she has ordered replacement straps before but they were always leather ones, never a chain one. It's been over two weeks and I haven't heard anything yet. I wanted to see if anyone here had a similar experience or advice or knows of any other route there is to get a genuine replacement strap? I'm including a stock image of the biletto I have/chain color I need.

Any advice is appreciated - Thank you!

NMV4174_01_m.jpeg

So... I ended up stopping by last week and spoke to another SA (the woman I spoke to the first time wasn't there). She seemed apologetic and took my information and promised to call me the next day. I never got a call. I called back to the store today and a man answered; he said he thinks he knows who I spoke to the last time and said since he was the only one working the floor today he couldn't "go back and check" (not sure what that means since I have yet to get any information on the replacement - if it's possible/available, cost, ship time...etc.). He said he would prefer to get my contact info (THIS IS THE THIRD TIME NOW) and have her call or text me tomorrow.

I know it's just a little replacement strap for a little bag but is this normal? Maybe I'm overreacting? I just feel like I've gotten much better service from Ferragamo and Saint Laurent in the same mall. :confused1:

Thanks all...

Sorry that you’re not having a great experience with your inquiry. I can’t opine on whether this is normal or not, but part of the issue might be that they don’t typically sell replacement chains as a separate item, and so someone has to figure out how to deal with your request.

I haven’t had the exact scenario as you’re having, but I have had what I consider a superb experience with after-sales service concerning a bag. I bought the bag directly from BV, and I was an established client with the SA who helped me. I don’t think that mattered much, because I remember that it still took a while (weeks, at least?) to resolve, through no fault of the SA. I’m in the US. My understanding is that they had to submit my repair inquiry to the US buyer or some other person at the US-North America headquarters. Then that person may have had to place an inquiry with BV-Italy to ensure that they had the materials needed for the repair and that they were willing to do it. I don’t remember the timing exactly, but I do remember having to wait for my SA’s response, which from what I understand came back through the same channels, with each POC waiting for a response down the chain.

In your case, it’s summer now, so it could be that a POC somewhere has been on vacation, who knows. Or, it could also be that someone at BV simply dropped the ball somewhere along the way. Regardless, I hope you end up receiving news that your lost chain can be replaced. Given that you haven’t established a client relationship with your local boutique, it might not hurt to stay fresh in their minds for a followup. I think you did the right thing by showing up in person today. It shouldn’t be necessary, but it is what it is. Good luck!

@blueiris,

Thank you so much for explaining that to me - after three SAs trying to tell me the process, I still had no idea what was going on. It makes sense; my bag was a gift. I've bought from the Ferragamo and SL stores I had good service at. It's frustrating, but what can you do? In hindsight, I probably should have asked my cousin to order the new strap for me... she's bought many things from this location (I'm in the US as well). Perhaps if this falls through, I'll ask her to do it.

Thanks again!

@blueiris,

Thank you so much for explaining that to me - after three SAs trying to tell me the process, I still had no idea what was going on. It makes sense; my bag was a gift. I've bought from the Ferragamo and SL stores I had good service at. It's frustrating, but what can you do? In hindsight, I probably should have asked my cousin to order the new strap for me... she's bought many things from this location (I'm in the US as well). Perhaps if this falls through, I'll ask her to do it.

Thanks again!

You’re welcome; I’m glad that it helped a little. To be honest, I’m not sure your cousin would have had better luck, because I don’t think it’s a situation of just ordering a new strap (I have no idea, but I’m thinking that they just don’t produce and keep these for sale in their usual inventory. If they did, then the boutique would have been able to look it up immediately and find whatever stock exists within the US). Instead, I think it’s almost as if they’d have to track down a loose one—and if none is found, then they’d have to source one back at the Italy workshop—and then they’d have to determine how much that would cost you, if they even had one to sell. But yeah, if you still get nowhere, you might as well ask whether your cousin could give it a try.

I don’t have any experience with Ferragamo or SL bags. Do they sell replacement bag straps separately as part of their regular inventory? That certainly would make finding and purchasing a replacement much easier.

To give you an idea of my case, I had the handles replaced on my bag, which was a limited edition model. After finally getting the word that they had the exact materials available in Italy and would accept the repair job, my bag was shipped back to Italy. My understanding is that an artisan made new handles and replaced them on my bag. By the time I got it back, I think at least several months went by. It was totally worth it, though, and I didn’t mind the wait because I knew the result was going to be excellent. I had other bags to use in the meantime.

Sorry that this is frustrating for you.

You’re welcome; I’m glad that it helped a little. To be honest, I’m not sure your cousin would have had better luck, because I don’t think it’s a situation of just ordering a new strap (I have no idea, but I’m thinking that they just don’t produce and keep these for sale in their usual inventory. If they did, then the boutique would have been able to look it up immediately and find whatever stock exists within the US). Instead, I think it’s almost as if they’d have to track down a loose one—and if none is found, then they’d have to source one back at the Italy workshop—and then they’d have to determine how much that would cost you, if they even had one to sell. But yeah, if you still get nowhere, you might as well ask whether your cousin could give it a try.

I don’t have any experience with Ferragamo or SL bags. Do they sell replacement bag straps separately as part of their regular inventory? That certainly would make finding and purchasing a replacement much easier.

To give you an idea of my case, I had the handles replaced on my bag, which was a limited edition model. After finally getting the word that they had the exact materials available in Italy and would accept the repair job, my bag was shipped back to Italy. My understanding is that an artisan made new handles and replaced them on my bag. By the time I got it back, I think at least several months went by. It was totally worth it, though, and I didn’t mind the wait because I knew the result was going to be excellent. I had other bags to use in the meantime.

Sorry that this is frustrating for you.

Thank you for this.

I finally got an email out of the blue on Saturday saying my strap had arrived at the boutique ($150, for anyone who has/will have the same problem as me). I guess the only complaint I really have is that I was never informed/kept up to date on the process... all the information I've gotten (which seems to be accurate as well) is from the lovely members on this forum/thread!

I'm not sure how replacing detachable parts goes with YSL or SF, but shoe repairs and inventory inquiries/restock came with great customer service and timely updates. Guess at the end of the day that's all I really wanted. It was hard to imagine I could get a $1k pouch and not be a be to get a replacement part, especially if it was still in production and i was willing to pay/wait.

I'll be picking it up tomorrow. Thanks again!

Thank you for this.

I finally got an email out of the blue on Saturday saying my strap had arrived at the boutique ($150, for anyone who has/will have the same problem as me). I guess the only complaint I really have is that I was never informed/kept up to date on the process... all the information I've gotten (which seems to be accurate as well) is from the lovely members on this forum/thread!

I'm not sure how replacing detachable parts goes with YSL or SF, but shoe repairs and inventory inquiries/restock came with great customer service and timely updates. Guess at the end of the day that's all I really wanted. It was hard to imagine I could get a $1k pouch and not be a be to get a replacement part, especially if it was still in production and i was willing to pay/wait.

I'll be picking it up tomorrow. Thanks again!

So glad this worked out for you with relative speed. Thanks for coming back to give us this update.

Reactions: imunlisted