Need advice on possibly my first exotic birkin

Sep 7, 2014
Hello ladies,

I was caught off guard and offered my first croc B35. It is matte porosus Rouge H with gold hardware. I was not expecting this at all. I get to go view it soon and make a final decision. I've spent the weekend researching all I can about crocs. I knew nothing about exotic leathers and all my birkins are togo. I've learned a lot, especially about avoiding water. The bag is beautiful and I can easily afford any price point, but I'm nervous since I wasn't that educated on crocs nor prepared to be offered it. I knew someday I would strive for a croc bag, but I wasn't expecting this week.... next year was my goal, so the offer really shocked me. I'm loving the look of both matte and shiny crocs, with shiny definitely being my kind of extra-ness lol. But the matte is dreamy as well. On a scale of 1-10, if shiny is a 10 to my liking for rouge H, the matte is a close 8.5-9. I think I was offered this bag because I requested a deep red Kelly or Birkin with gold hardware for this semester, along with blacks and grays. I'm also wondering if a B35 is too big for exotic? My birkins are all B35 and B30 in sizes, and I wear both sizes with same amount of love. Although it is easier for me to grab and go with my B30, I do have more B35s than B30s.

In all, I'm worried this may be an expensive impulse buy that I can afford to pass on for now. The suddenness of the offer and knowing how hard it is to be offered another exotic, is throwing me for a loop. Is this a rare must have offer that I should instantly grab? OR an offer that is easier to come by and not exactly a must have gem in the exotic arena? Also, does anyone know the exact price? I've searched the forum but haven't found anything. I'm sure its in the $50ks- $60ks range before tax. Thanks

Last edited:
Firstly, it sounds beautiful in colour and may be a good size if this is already what you use. The matte will grow increasingly shinier with wear if that's a concern. Plus, a year isn't that long in the land of Hermès except when it comes to annual price rises.

On the other hand if it's not what you were dreaming of, defer for a year and ask for something closer to what your heart truly desires then.

Reactions: lipstick_bandit
Firstly, it sounds beautiful in colour and may be a good size if this is already what you use. The matte will grow increasingly shinier with wear if that's a concern. Plus, a year isn't that long in the land of Hermès except when it comes to annual price rises.

On the other hand if it's not what you were dreaming of, defer for a year and ask for something closer to what your heart truly desires then.
Thank you for responding!

It's complicated. The color is definitely one of my dreamy colors. Only color that probably tops red for me (in exotics) would be black or one of those bluish- purples. I guess I'm just overwhelmed because I was not expecting such an offer now, so I'm scattering to research. Even though I don't have to financially prepare for the bag, I kind of wanted to mentally prepare for owning it, and then request for an exotic on my own sometime in the future.

Since I'm not that knowledgeable, I figured I would find more comfort in my decision after hearing some of your opinions. If it's a gem and definitely "yes bag" according to the purseforum pros, I will get it without second guessing if I should have waited and continued researching. But if its something passible, I will just wait until I've learned more about the exotics. The color is definitely a favorite of mine, just wondering if its something I can wait for.

Thank you for responding!

It's complicated. The color is definitely one of my dreamy colors. Only color that probably tops red for me (in exotics) would be black or one of those bluish- purples. I guess I'm just overwhelmed because I was not expecting such an offer now, so I'm scattering to research. Even though I don't have to financially prepare for the bag, I kind of wanted to mentally prepare for owning it, and then request for an exotic on my own sometime in the future.

Since I'm not that knowledgeable, I figured I would find more comfort in my decision after hearing some of your opinions. If it's a gem and definitely "yes bag" according to the purseforum pros, I will get it without second guessing if I should have waited and continued researching. But if its something passible, I will just wait until I've learned more about the exotics. The color is definitely a favorite of mine, just wondering if its something I can wait for.

If you want to have a croq and the colour is what you want, go for it, heaven knows when another one comes up or when your request might be "heard" as this can take a while with Hermes and they are quite in demand.

Since finances are not the problem, go for it, you can do your mental preparation while having the bag.

Think about it this way, if you do pass up on it, then decide it was a mistake, would you be mildly disappointed or not bothered? If so, pass on it, if you would regret it a lot, go for it.

It sounds absolutely wonderful......
If you want to have a croq and the colour is what you want, go for it, heaven knows when another one comes up or when your request might be "heard" as this can take a while with Hermes and they are quite in demand.

Since finances are not the problem, go for it, you can do your mental preparation while having the bag.

Think about it this way, if you do pass up on it, then decide it was a mistake, would you be mildly disappointed or not bothered? If so, pass on it, if you would regret it a lot, go for it.

Thanks ladies!!!

Will it always bother you that it is not shiny croc? And will this be your only croc?

If it will always bother you that it’s not shiny, then perhaps wait. BUT, if you know you will have another croc one day, perhaps a black shiny b30... then grab it knowing you will have a shiny one as well down the road.

Please come back to show us pictures and let us know what you decide!

Will it always bother you that it is not shiny croc? And will this be your only croc?

If it will always bother you that it’s not shiny, then perhaps wait. BUT, if you know you will have another croc one day, perhaps a black shiny b30... then grab it knowing you will have a shiny one as well down the road.

Please come back to show us pictures and let us know what you decide!

I actually don’t think this will be my only croc. Thanks for that perspective. This reminds me of missing out on many Chanel bags years ago thinking I’d just own one and needed to wait for that perfect one. I had just started buying chanel and I missed out on some good bags that I know regret. Also, with my first Birkin, I bought with the mindset that I’d one day own many, so while black was my most desirable, I bought many colors that I absolutely love and wear often before finally being offered a black.

A black shiny croc would definitely be preferred over red shiny. I’ve just appreciated the matte red even more for variety. Thanks.

Lovely bag!

Very sorry to ask a question here, did you mean water drops is a no no for - croc ? Any other concerns of croc I should know ahead of buying?

And can somebody remind me if the lighting making color of ostrich lighter is the only down side of ostrich?

I couldn’t find the other thread which might has full of information. Apologise to OP!

Lovely bag!

Very sorry to ask a question here, did you mean water drops is a no no for - croc ? Any other concerns of croc I should know ahead of buying?

And can somebody remind me if the lighting making color of ostrich lighter is the only down side of ostrich?

I couldn’t find the other thread which might has full of information. Apologise to OP!
Thank you!!

Yes, water will instantly ruin a croc bag. Also avoid oils and hand creams. I’ve spent the last day reading so many threads lol.

I don’t know anything about ostrich, yet.

Reactions: Lovebb12
Lovely bag!

We have plenty of threads to do with croc and ostrich (just search 'crocodile' or 'ostrich' in the search function). Grease and sunlight are to be avoided with ostrich, water is tolerated.

Reactions: Lovebb12