Need advice on exercise regimen

1. Okay folks. I've been telling myself that I'm going to start exercising. I don't have a gym membership but that's not a problem because I can always walk or run.

I have no clue how to start. Should I try walking or running my first time? I feel that running is a bit overwhelming for me at first but I know I could get the hang of it after a few runs. Is running better than walking? Should I try it for a mile at first? Is 2-3 times a week good enough?

I'm sorry about all the questions:shame: There's plenty of ladies here that know about health and fitness. Thank you in advance :biggrin:

2. i think you should just start with jogging. ;) but if you're like me and hate running i suggest you do some crunches or some simple yoga or pilates moves. bikram yoga is the best! you're put in a heated room for an hour and a half but it pays off. ;)

3. Starting with walking is the best if you are new to exercising.

Three times a week is great.

If your ultimate aim is to run,most training programmes recommend that you start with intervals:

You walk 5 minutes,run 2 minutes,etc alternating for a total of 30 minutes.Then gradually you build up the amount of time you run vs walk.Within 6 weeks you should be able to run 30 minutes uninterrupted. Has worked for me!

There are a number of starter training programmes for runners online,if you use Google.

Exercising outdoors is a lot of fun....good luck!!! And remember,even when you don't feel liek running at all,a good brisk 30 minute walk is a great exercise in itself.

4. We have bikram yoga here too. Just a few blocks away. I heard the room is over 100 degrees :biggrin: I'll check it out, thanks. I'm also looking into belly dancing classes because my flabby abs need tightening. :shame:

5. Thanks Quirkycool!

6. I went with a crash course of exercise. Six nights a week--at least 25 minutes on my treadmill--combo of running and walking. The SECOND I come home, I change into my work out clothes, only sit down to put on my running shoes and then I go. It's actually kept me going.

My theory was that it's easy to say I'll do 3 days/week and then end up doing 0. But you can go 6 days/week and slow down to 3 days/week... It helps to make it part of your routine.

7. yup! 105 degrees i think! it sounds scary but it's just like working out on a hot summer day. :smile:

i need to exercise my abs too! phew. ive got major muffin tops going on! ive been trying to go the gym 2-3 times a week and stalk the ab machines. :smile:

good luck with your workout! we can do it!! :lol:

8. Don't over do it in the beginning. You run the risk of burning yourself out quickly - or worse - injuring yourself. I personally prefer to take step or aerobics classes with a group, but I don't want any workout buddies, too much stress to try and keep up.

9. I have to say PILATES all the way! It transformed my body, no joke! You can read more at www.stottpilates.com but I have to say, I swear by Pilates, and am so addicted that I bought my own Reformer. If you can find a studio near you, give it a try. Its fantastic!

10. I love Pilate too. The first time I tried it, I couldn't get out of bed, I was sooo sore :cry: I'm glad I didn't give up on it though.. It's really helped shape my stomach.

In addition to Pilate, I also run on treadmill.. I find the combination of pilate and cardio work great for me :biggrin:

11. Start out slow that's for sure. Try a variety of exercises like yoga, pilates (those are great) and spin classes for the extra umph on the day where u just want to go hard. I heard spinning classes the bikes are so different than regular bikes. Also do some weights to tone not bulk up. Good luck!! :biggrin:

12. I dance. Nothing fancy, just around the living room for an hour; two, or three, times a week.

I used to swim a lot, then I rowed, then I did step aerobics, then I powerwalked; but nothing is as exhilerating, or feels as natural, as dancing! :love:

The great thing is that it doesn't feel like a chore, or involve any equipment and you don't have to drag yourself off to the gym, or pool, to do it! :biggrin:

...and as I tell my boyfriend; 'I'm going to dance now, because, as you know - a dancer dances!' :lol:

13. You should run and then walk, and then run, and then walk.

14. Most people can't just start jogging w/o a little jogging/running experience.
    Walking at a quick pace is the best way to start, then working up to a walk where you can barely talk is the next step.
    To build up to jogging you can walk for 5 minutes, jog for 2-3, then walk again, increasing your jog time as you continue working out.
    Also, maybe get a few good work out videos, great for the upcoming too hot to go outside months!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice