Need Advice on Ebay find

Karenina

BAG-a-holic
O.G.
Mar 13, 2007
I just bought a Coach Carly Slim in black leather on ebay. The seller stated that it was carried maybe once and had no sign of wear at all. When I got the bag I could tell she carried it more than once. It was pretty broken in, which doesn't bother me. There were also a few scuffs on the bag which she did not state at all. She claimed the bag was in perfect condition. I used my Coach leather cleaner on it and it took the scuffs right off. What is really bothering me though is that this bag REEKS of smoke. I am very sensitive to smoke and I can't carry this bag smelling like that. It drives me nuts. Should I make an issue of that with the seller? I didn't ask if it came from a smoke free home ( i guess I should have I don't usually buy handbags on ebay so I should have though of this). Do any of you have advice on how to air out a leather handbag that smells like smoke? The whole thing just reeks of it, inside and out. I really got a good deal on this bag ($200) so I don't know if I should make an issue about it or if I even have a right since I didn't ask about a smoke free house. Really I just want to know how to air this bag out. I love her!

Baking soda works well. Get one of the boxes they specifically make for fridge/freezer that has the netting on both sides so that maximum baking soda surface area is being exposed to the bag. Should suck up the smokey smell.

do a search in the forum....you aren't the only one that has gone through this....I think some people had a lot of luck with those scented dryer sheets or febreeze......hope that helps....

The smoke would drive me nuts on a bag. I recently purchase a couple of little coin purses on eBay. The seller stated they were from a smoke-free home. I even questioned her before I bid and she assured me there were no odors. When I got them they REEKED. They smelled like they were in a bar all night.

Anyway, I loved them so I put them in a drawer with a bar of Sandalwood soap for about a week and the smoke odor is gone.

mylovinhandbags sells a product that you can try to use to assist with removing the smoke odor. I have used it on my recent bay purchase that smell liked it was a ashtray. It took sometime but it has released that smell.

Thanks for all of the responses. I ended up contacting the seller. When I went back and looked at the auction the seller DID state that it came from a smoke free house. But OMG the bag REEKS of smoke. I send her a message telling her this and she told me that she doesn't know why it smells like smoke b/c she doesn't smoke. She asked me what I wanted her to do and I told her I wanted her to take the bag bag b/c she misrepresented it. I will see what she says. I don't want to have to take this further but I will if I have to. She really wasn't honest in the auction.

That's what I was going to say re: the letter carrier.
A lot of these carriers smoke whilst driving their routes.
Insane. It "smokes up" all the packages in their tiny vehicles.
It may not be the seller's smoking that caused the stink.

That's what I was going to say re: the letter carrier.
A lot of these carriers smoke whilst driving their routes.
Insane. It "smokes up" all the packages in their tiny vehicles.
It may not be the seller's smoking that caused the stink.

That's what I was told as well. When I contacted the seller about the coin purses she was shocked.

After I read about the delivery carriers smoking I went back and smelled the package that the bag arrived it and it didn't smell like smoke. It was the leather on the bag and the inside of the bag. I see how a delivery carrier smoking could cause the packages to smell like smoke but the inside of the bag too? The seller is letting me return the bag which tells me she knows it has an odor even if she denies smoking. Also when I first won the auction she sent me a message saying to contact her when I received the bag if I had a problem with it. That right there raised a red flag to me.

I had the same thing happen with a large Ergo I bought - it not only reeked of smoke when I took it out of the box (box didn't smell at all so no way was it the delivery driver) plus it also reeked of floral dryer sheet smell where they tried to cover up the smell. I aired it out for 3 days, but it still reeked and when I contacted the buyer, she swore it wasn't around smoke, but she took it back - I was out the shipping though which sucked since she knew that bag smelled bad when she sold it! The good news is that a week later I found the same bag on clearance at the outlet for $100 less so I won after all!