Food Need advice on baking a cake!

mcbaglovin

My Bags R My BFFs
Mar 19, 2009
So I have a box of store bought red velvet cake mix. I know store bought lol. I read online that I can make it more moist by using a box of dry instant pudding and 1 cup of sour cream. Anyone agree?

Also for the frosting, I wanted to make whipped cream frosting but I'm not sure if that'll go in between the 2 cake layers because wouldn't it be too soft? What is a good, light, not too sweet frosting i can use for this?

It's for my mom's 72nd birthday btw.

I've never heard of adding sour cream. I know some cake mixes have pudding in the mix, so if it doesn't, it would probably be okay. You can add a box of puddings to cookies too, to make them really moist, so I think it would work.

With the frosting, if you make the recipe to the correct consistency, it should be fine. What about doing the traditional cream cheese frosting for red velvet?

My mom bakes cakes all the time (usually at least one a week, she just likes baking) and anytime she does a 2-layer cake she always puts whipped cream in the middle. She doesn't mix it with anything else, just plain whipping cream or cool whip and then makes a buttercream frosting to cover the top and sides of the cake.

You can go to allrecipes.com and take a gander through all the cake & frosting recipes. I like that site since they are user rated (less risk!) and users post helpful tips. I think there's a whipped cream cheese frosting that's to die for on there. I made it for red velvet cupcakes a while back, it was sooooo good!

I've heard of adding apple sauce - but doh I can't remember if it replaces a specific ingredient. I'm not much of a baker - more of a cook!

You can replace oil w/ applesauce. It does not work well in cookies or brownies though, in my past tries. That Sunsweet lighter bake stuff might be better w/ those items if oil is called for.

In all the box mix cakes I have made, I take a big heaping spoonful of whatever frosting (its more like 1/2 cup to 1 cup) I am going to use to ice the cake and mix it into the mix. The cake comes out very moist. I picked it up from one of my friends who was studying to be a chef.. I don't know if it is something she was actually told or just started doing it one day to try to add a little extra oomph to quick box mixes.