Need advice for male cat and litter box issues

inherforties

Jul 26, 2012
I have a 2-year-old male cat (neutered) who will not use the litter box. Both urination and bowel movements (he goes in the bathtubs or on a puppy pad placed right in front of the litter box). We've had him to 3 different vets and they can't find any medical reason. He's had a full blood work up, urine analysis, and fecal tests done. As well as a cat scan. All normal.

One vet recommended paxil and that worked, but as soon as we stopped, it started again. We didn't like his behavior when he was on the paxil. He was extremely hungry and started pushing the other cats away (we have 4) for their food. He cried all day for food and gained a lot of weight while on it.

He used the litter when he was younger. We noticed he started having issues with it around 8 months. He would yodel at it and put his paw in and then take it back out and shake it. So we tried all sorts of different litters, thinking he didn't like the feel, but nothing seemed to take. We even tried puppy pads in the box, but if one of the other cats goes in it, then he won't.

Here's the thing, it does look like behavioral issues, but I think he drinks a lot more water than the other cats too. But the vets keep saying that he's ok.

Anyone have any experience with a cat behaving similar? I'm thinking he simply doesn't want to share his litter, but that's not really an option. We clean the litters everyday (often throughout the day) and we have 4 cats and 6 boxes. All different heights and sizes. And two hideaway.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2007
Wow, that's a tough one. Sounds like you really have tried everything. Years ago I had a cat that refused to go in any sort of litter except for the plain gray clay sand. If the litter had any sort of slight smell, like a detergent, or a green litter I tried once, he would act freaky, howl at the litter, go on towels in the bathroom, that sort of thing.

One thing I discovered about him was that as a kitten he had probably been going on shredded newspapers because he loved to go on shredded papers.

I also had a cat--a female--who refused to go in any litter box that smelled of one specific cat. She also refused to go in any litter box that the dogs went near. So the princess got her own private litter box in a bathroom with the door propped open only enough so that she and she alone could slip through.

Very frustrating these cats sometimes. Bet you're at wits end!

inherforties

Jul 26, 2012
We are! We've had him from 5 weeks old. His mother died so that's why we got him a bit early. He's a real snuggle bug and we adore him and I'm so worried there's a medical issue we don't know about.

We tried retraining him by keeping him locked alone in a small room with the litter box. But he cried and cried and I gave in and let him out. I'm a pushover!

pukasonqo

goddess of suburbia
O.G.
Dec 20, 2006
have you tried him with the shredded newspaper?
we also have a kitty litter made of recycled newspapers, my cat seems to like that one the best
does he has his own box or he shares with the other cats?

vinbenphon1

May 2, 2013
Poor Little man. It's very common for cats to not like to share a litterbox. They can be very fussy about cleanliness. And this just might be his issue. How often do you clean the box. I have three cats and we clean the litter box twice daily. I know it's hard but it is recommend that cat owners need to have one little box per cat 'Plus one', so you should have five boxes down.

It will be hard keeping the other cats out, but if you can put one in the special place for him that only he can access this might just be what he needs. One of our cats no matter what time of the day, as soon as we clean the litter boxes he is straight in there to do a wee almost like its territorial for him. :smile:

inherforties

Jul 26, 2012
I have six boxes and we clean them constantly throughout the day. They are different sizes and two are hideaway. I work from home and hubby does when he's not traveling. So we just clean when we see them dirty.

We tried a special one for him. But at night others used it and he went in the tub.

Oct 6, 2007
is he declawed? if so the type of litter you use could be hurting his feet.

also even if he's not declawed he may just not like the type of litter, have you tried several litter boxes all with different litter? some cats do not like a dirty litter box either, if there's a days worth of "business" in there he might not want to use it, and choose to go else where.

feliway diffusers could help too, if he's stressed or territorialy insecure.

inherforties

Jul 26, 2012
is he declawed? if so the type of litter you use could be hurting his feet.

also even if he's not declawed he may just not like the type of litter, have you tried several litter boxes all with different litter? some cats do not like a dirty litter box either, if there's a days worth of "business" in there he might not want to use it, and choose to go else where.

feliway diffusers could help too, if he's stressed or territorialy insecure.

Not declawed. And like I said in my initial post, we tried all sorts of litters and all sorts of litter boxes. And we clean the boxes at min 2 times a day.

Feliway didn't help either.

buzzytoes

Dog Chauffeur
O.G.
Jun 7, 2008
I wouldn't worry about his health. It sounds more behavioral. Cats are just weird and hard to figure out sometimes! I sit for one cat who only uses puppy pads. Her owner has tried everything, and that is the only thing that works. It sounds like you are doing everything right - extra boxes, different litters, cleaning often. The only thing I can think is when you changed litters did you change it in every single box? Maybe just try changing one box to something you haven't tried yet. There are so many different materials out there these days, maybe something will strike a chord with him.

inherforties

Jul 26, 2012
I wouldn't worry about his health. It sounds more behavioral. Cats are just weird and hard to figure out sometimes! I sit for one cat who only uses puppy pads. Her owner has tried everything, and that is the only thing that works. It sounds like you are doing everything right - extra boxes, different litters, cleaning often. The only thing I can think is when you changed litters did you change it in every single box? Maybe just try changing one box to something you haven't tried yet. There are so many different materials out there these days, maybe something will strike a chord with him.

We did try different litter types all at once. The fact that he's going in the bathtub, really doesn't make this too urgent a situation. It's easy to clean up, without any smell lingering.

We'll keep trying the different litters and see if one sticks. We're also going to try some alone time with his and the box at scheduled times a day to see if that helps.

vinbenphon1

May 2, 2013
Do you mean Litter Kwitter? I've had a few friends attempt to train their cats with this and it failed. Ever hear of success stories. He's 2 btw.

Yeah thats the one. We had short term success overall... There are 3/4 stages to go through (red, orange and green disks - they added a forth to the newer ones) and our two boys were great right up until when we transitioned to the green stage... The size of the green hole was too big and daunting for them I think.

Vincent would still do a poo in the toilet, but decided to urinate on my bed instead. Phoenix on the other hand was happy to urinate into the toilet but he pooed on the floor next to it instead. I tried to get them to go back to the orange disc but with no joy.... Doh. I would've been happy if they just stayed on the orange disc indefinitely if I had known the issues that the next one was going to cause. Atleast they were going into the toilet :smile:

We even put a catflap in the toilet door ...

Last edited: