Need advice for a friend

MaiTac

Jan 21, 2017
Hello connoisseurs and hobbyists,

Recently my best friend's boyfriend had picked up 3 pieces off another friend who claims to have connections to SA's at our local LV. I suspect the items are fake (because her bf's supplier sells at lower than market prices) and have sent my regards to A4U (did some research). I'm really concerned for my best friend as well as her boyfriend and do NOT want them to get scammed. It's bad enough i've read horror stories in my reads on TPF on ebay scammers, but a local scammer?
My best friend and I took photos of the 3 pieces that she had received from her boyfriend (her boyfriend trusts his friend but I do not as his friend always appeared as a shady character to me) and send them to A4U. They're still working on written statements (I want my best friend and her boyfriend to see the flaws) but in the email evaluation (did both written and email) they came back as fake.
What are my friend's options because I wish to guide them. They have spent around 3.8k and I feel that their best bet is to go to small claims court since he isn't an online seller but a local seller. Her boyfriend has all the text "receipts" and acceptances as well as agreements on payments.

I have also attached 2 pictures from what I sent to A4U. I'm no expert but "Vutton" vs Vuitton? and Also i have never seen strap hardware look like this (also the skewed N").

Summary of above:
I'm not an authenticator by any means but I have good reason to believe that the items her boyfriend bought are fake. Sent items to A4U and deemed as fake. Getting written statements at the moment, but have email evaluations. What options does my friend and her boyfriend have in this situation. Should they confront the seller with this "evidence" because the dollar value is 3.8k or just take it to small claims court? What should a girl do? Help!

Thanks Ladies! [and occasional gents :smile: ]16326485_1437184266293344_1685534644_o.jpg 123412.jpg 432143.jpg

Hello connoisseurs and hobbyists,

Recently my best friend's boyfriend had picked up 3 pieces off another friend who claims to have connections to SA's at our local LV. I suspect the items are fake (because her bf's supplier sells at lower than market prices) and have sent my regards to A4U (did some research). I'm really concerned for my best friend as well as her boyfriend and do NOT want them to get scammed. It's bad enough i've read horror stories in my reads on TPF on ebay scammers, but a local scammer?
My best friend and I took photos of the 3 pieces that she had received from her boyfriend (her boyfriend trusts his friend but I do not as his friend always appeared as a shady character to me) and send them to A4U. They're still working on written statements (I want my best friend and her boyfriend to see the flaws) but in the email evaluation (did both written and email) they came back as fake.
What are my friend's options because I wish to guide them. They have spent around 3.8k and I feel that their best bet is to go to small claims court since he isn't an online seller but a local seller. Her boyfriend has all the text "receipts" and acceptances as well as agreements on payments.

I have also attached 2 pictures from what I sent to A4U. I'm no expert but "Vutton" vs Vuitton? and Also i have never seen strap hardware look like this (also the skewed N").

Summary of above:
I'm not an authenticator by any means but I have good reason to believe that the items her boyfriend bought are fake. Sent items to A4U and deemed as fake. Getting written statements at the moment, but have email evaluations. What options does my friend and her boyfriend have in this situation. Should they confront the seller with this "evidence" because the dollar value is 3.8k or just take it to small claims court? What should a girl do? Help!

Thanks Ladies! [and occasional gents :smile: ]View attachment 3592553 View attachment 3592550 View attachment 3592551
Once your friends have a written statement from the authenticator they should contact the seller and request a refund. If the seller agrees then yay but if not then give LV the name of the seller - they'll want to know who's selling counterfeits of their products - and then they should prepare to go to small claims court although I'm sure that the costs of doing that will exceed the cost of the bags.

Thank you for the help! I hope the my friend's boyfriend's seller (which he claims is his friend, not sure anymore after this whole situation) just gives the refund. I wouldn't want to see them go through any added stress with court, even if it is just small claims court.

Reactions: prepster
Thank you for the help! I hope the my friend's boyfriend's seller (which he claims is his friend, not sure anymore after this whole situation) just gives the refund. I wouldn't want to see them go through any added stress with court, even if it is just small claims court.
It would really be in the seller's best interests to just offer a refund since buying counterfeits isn't a crime but selling is, especially when there's evidence, such as receipts or transaction history, going against them. They also wouldn't want LV going after them either...

I figured the first part as much, but the second part about LV going after them.
I'm guessing it's trademark induced? This is really reassuring to hear that! I'll let my friend know ASAP i'm sure this will be a huge relief.
Thanks sis!

Reactions: prepster
The chances of LV going after them is zero , there are thousands of counterfeit bags sold everyday .
print out the email evaluation from A4U and give it to your friend asap , hopefully the friend refund ,
it's a well known scam , " i have a friend who works in LV " it simply does not happen

Reactions: MaiTac
I figured the first part as much, but the second part about LV going after them.
I'm guessing it's trademark induced? This is really reassuring to hear that! I'll let my friend know ASAP i'm sure this will be a huge relief.
Thanks sis!

Firstly, advise your friend to get new friends. The seller friend is clearly making money from these sales at the expense of their friends.

The chances of LV hunting down the seller friend and prosecuting are pretty much zero. I don't even think they prosecute big online counterfeit sites; they are occasionally removed but just pop back up with a new name.

You need to establish how your friend paid. If they paid via Paypal then you can use the authenticity statements to lodge a dispute. If they paid by cash/bank transfer then they could ask their friend for a refund. If this isn't forthcoming then it would be a legal remedy.

My friend's boyfriend had paid in cash but he has "text receipts" like the negotiation of the amount + how much the amount is and the seller agreeing to said amount :sad:

My friend's boyfriend had paid in cash but he has "text receipts" like the negotiation of the amount + how much the amount is and the seller agreeing to said amount :sad:

If it's cash then your friend's only remedy, if the seller won't refund, would be legally. Your friend will have to decide whether it's worth pursuing.

Also needs to bear in mind that "if it seems too good to be true........."

A little research would have revealed that there are limits on the quantities Sales Associates are allowed to purchase at a discount so for a "friend of a friend" to have access to all this stuff would not be right.