Need advice: Alto Doctor Satchel

RX11

Aug 25, 2014
Hello ladies! I have an Alto Doctor Satchel that I purchased back in 2011. I have carried this bag maybe a total of 5 times, simply because I am scared of damaging it. It seems to scratch easily. Anyway, earlier this year, I wanted to use it and when I opened it I realized the leather feels and looks dry and almost to the point of cracking. I have attached some pics but unfortunately it looks worse in person. Any advice? Is this vachetta leather? That means it can't be conditioned, right? Please help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 194
Hello ladies! I have an Alto Doctor Satchel that I purchased back in 2011. I have carried this bag maybe a total of 5 times, simply because I am scared of damaging it. It seems to scratch easily. Anyway, earlier this year, I wanted to use it and when I opened it I realized the leather feels and looks dry and almost to the point of cracking. I have attached some pics but unfortunately it looks worse in person. Any advice? Is this vachetta leather? That means it can't be conditioned, right? Please help.

1. I have an Alto Natural bag so i can help. Your pix are terrible. Is urs Saddle?

2. Anyway, Alto is veg tanned leather. It is not naked vachetta.

3. the good news is that as long as u dont see cracks, it's fine. You can save it. Personally, I use Obenauf's leather Preserve but it's a leather preserve. That's for maintaining. Sounds like u want to condition it. I believe that Lexol has a line that is just for Equestrian leather. You can find it on their website and order.

1. I have an Alto Natural bag so i can help. Your pix are terrible. Is urs Saddle?

2. Anyway, Alto is veg tanned leather. It is not naked vachetta.

3. the good news is that as long as u dont see cracks, it's fine. You can save it. Personally, I use Obenauf's leather Preserve but it's a leather preserve. That's for maintaining. Sounds like u want to condition it. I believe that Lexol has a line that is just for Equestrian leather. You can find it on their website and order.
Thank you so much for your prompt response. I cannot remember the color of the bag. I know one of the bags was Mushroom but it may have been the lighter cool that I did not purchase. I do not see any cracks, but I do see areas that are very wrinkled and bumpy. I found the product you mentioned and will order tonight. One product is for light leather and the other says it may darken leather. Can you please recommend which one to buy? Also, when I apply the product, will the veg dye come off? After I hopefully restore the bag, should I then use the Obenauf's product you use to keep it from drying out? I don't know much about this leather, so I really appreciate you taking the time to help me, thanks!!

Thank you so much for your prompt response. I cannot remember the color of the bag. I know one of the bags was Mushroom but it may have been the lighter cool that I did not purchase. I do not see any cracks, but I do see areas that are very wrinkled and bumpy. I found the product you mentioned and will order tonight. One product is for light leather and the other says it may darken leather. Can you please recommend which one to buy? Also, when I apply the product, will the veg dye come off? After I hopefully restore the bag, should I then use the Obenauf's product you use to keep it from drying out? I don't know much about this leather, so I really appreciate you taking the time to help me, thanks!!

Give me direct links to what are ur choices and I will advise.

I doubt the color will come off when u apply the product.

You could probably use the same conditioner every 6 months after u restore it.
I'm not really into buying a lot of different products. I always happen to have the Obenaufs on hand since it is very popular with the Hermes crowd on this forum and I have used it on a variety of leathers. It leaves a matte finish so you need to add an extra coat of something else to buff and shine if u want the bag to have shine. With the Alto, I dont since they dont come with a shine in the first place.

On the Lexol page they have a "where to buy" and one of the websites is Amazon. I found the following 2 products:
http://www.amazon.com/Lexol-Neatsfo...&ie=UTF8&qid=1413204085&sr=1-5&keywords=lexol

http://www.amazon.com/Lexol-1013-Le..._sbs_sg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=15XAW348D1WCGMM9YX5D

Which of these do you think is best? Of should I use Obenauf's?

Thanks

definitely the first one. neatsfoot oil is what u traditionally use on veg tanned leather.

Do NOT use the regular Lexol conditioner on the alto. I have that and it's for chrome tanned leather.