Need a recommendation on make up brushes

luvprada

O.G.
Nov 23, 2008
Not sure what to get. Just lost the set I had for a long time on a trip (think they didn't make it into the suitcase going home :sad: )

Anyway looking for some recommendations. Thanks!

I'm relatively new to make-up brushes, so here are the main ones I use (all MAC):

116 for blush
187 for liquid foundation
134 for powder

Sephora also has some really good sets though they may not last as long as the MAC ones will. Also, there is a site called Sigma Cosmetics that sells brushes very similar to the MAC ones but cheaper. Not sure how those work though.

MAC's are great, as are Bobbi Brown's (I like her travel-sized combos), Laura Mercier's. Japonesque sells less expensive but very well-done brushes in full and travel size at Ulta, Trade Secret or online.

I have a bit from each of these brands. I am not a fan of Benefit brushes, though -- at least I don't like the ones that comes with their products, which tend to be much better than the brushes themselves. HTH! :smile:

I agree with Loquita about the bobbie brown travel brushes, esp if you travel often. for home, i have mac as well as stila brushes, which are both very soft.

I found out that Bobbi Brown is discontinuing the travel size and the larger size and making an in-between size instead. They still have the mini kits though.

I really appreciate the suggestions!

Not sure what to get. Just lost the set I had for a long time on a trip (think they didn't make it into the suitcase going home :sad: )

Anyway looking for some recommendations. Thanks!
These are my favorite MAC brushes that i use almost everyday, depending on the look i am going for. For foundation i use the beauty blender sponge, therefore i do not use any MAC brushes for that. If i use a brush for foundation i would use the Sephora airbrush foundation brush. The rest of my collection is mainly MAC.

Here are my fav's:

FACE
195 - For concelear
189 - For loose powder
134 - For Bronzer
131 - For MSF
109 - For blush
OR
188 - For blush
187 - Spray Fix + on it and buff the face

EYES
239 - To put color on the lid
226 - To put color on the crease
217 - Multi purpose (love it)
214 - For lining under eyes
224 - For blending

As far as cheaper alternatives, i like Sonia Kashuk brushes, you can find these on Target. i have a dupe for the 239 that i really love and a few others that are of a good quality.
Good luck shopping!

Last edited:
I think MAC has the best quality brush sets that last a very long time if they are cared for properly..
my favourite MAC brushes
for face
187 liquid foundation
189 cream foundation
195 concealer
129 blush or the 131 for mineralize skin finish..
and the 219 to smudge along the waterline.

and for travel mac has a travel size set on their site of the basic brushes you need from face to eyes...
eyes
217 all purpose blending etc
239 for if you use loose eye shadow such as pigments bare mineral eye shadow etc..
222, or 224 for blending the crease.
mac also has a travel set that including the basic brushes for the face and eyes..on their website.

I have been a long time user of MAC. But lately there are many other brands that are just as good and cost much less! I have been purchasing:
Sonia Kashuk for Target - recommend the crease brush and medium eyeshadow brush
E.L.F brushes - the eyeshadow brush is a STEAL for $1
Sigma brushes - closest MAC dupe! and they have the same brush # so easy to get which brush. They are very reasonably priced!!
ECOTOOLS - SO SO SOFT and they are eco-friendly! you can find them at drugstores.

I have a ton from Sephora, but I also buy a lot from the Ulta line, they're just a durable and if they're on sale it's even better...and ecotools makes really good, and incredibly lightweight brushes, although they don't have a wider selection yet.