Need a bag for university - help me decide! :)

niamhrado

Aug 25, 2012
I'm starting university this September and need a new bag (exciting stuff!). I'd like quite a big one as it will be for carrying books/laptop etc to and from classes. Some that I have been considering are:

-Michael Kors Jet Set tote
-Mulberry Bayswater
-LV Neverfull
-Prada Saffiano

Has anyone ever used one of these for school that they would recommend, or does anyone have any other suggestions? I carried a Balenciaga City all through high school so I'd like a change from this but other than that I would consider anything. Thank you :smile:

I used a Longchamp before I got sick of lugging all the weight around and just went back to using a backpack. I find, while fashionable, all that weight can get really exhausting to lug around all the time. I would also go for a tote that you don't mind getting dirty. All I can say about your choice with the Neverfull was that the straps really start to dig into your shoulder after awhile with a lot of weight. Just my two cents! Good luck hunting and have fun at school :smile:

Of your alternatives listed, definitely Mulberry. It has a flap that protects your belongings from rain etc, it's roomy and will last you through uni with no trouble. Dark brown, navy, ink, nightshade or black are bomb proof colors if you're the careless type (like me) or want to be free of worries when it comes to your bag and its color. I love nightshade and have been entertaining the thought of a Bays in that color. :smile:

Last edited:
I would suggest the Neverfull. Practical. Lightweight . Indestructible.
The Mulberry? Heavy even when It's empty and not deep enough for uni. Expensive also for what it is.....

I use Michael Kors Jet Set tote for business meetings almost on a daily basis. Looks great and fits laptop in middle case department nicely. I am biased but I recommend that!

Only bad thing is as I use it quite a lot with a lot of stuff in it so the threads around the shoulders came lose and the zip has broke. Maybe, I need to take better care of it.

I am a heavy user!

Also, I would say no to the bayswater for university. As honestly it's such a heavy bag even when it's empty! I have a feeling if you're carrying a load of stuff, it will be a pain

I guess I will have to cross out Bays from my wishlist. It seems to be an impractical bag because of the weight.

I guess I will have to cross out Bays from my wishlist. It seems to be an impractical bag because of the weight.

Respect to all the lovely ladies who've given their input but still not agreeing - I'd take the Bays over anything else. It does weigh more than f.e. the LV NF but that's because it's real leather. It's not as huge as the NF but the flap gives you options; leave it open, tuck it in, close it etc. Bays will also serve as a briefcase, a smart choice for meetings, work, lunch, shopping and it comes in a large array of colors and leathers for you to choose your favorite from.

I recommend going to YouTube and watching the "What's in my (uni/school) bag" and bag review vids to really get the answers you need - I find it's a great resource. :smile:

Last edited:
Have you considered the open top Bays tote? I use a regular NVT Bays for work and if I carried files plus my laptop it would be too small.

I vote for Mulberry because it will be indestructible and will develop a nice patina.

Having owned all of the bags you listed apart from the MK, at different points, I'd like to throw another option into the mix and suggest the Gucci Swing tote. It is made of leather and the handles are much more comfortable (and with a more generous drop) than those of the Neverfull, plus it is very reasonably priced for a premier designer leather bag.

The Bays is a lovely style but it is heavy and personally I think it is a little too structured and elegant looking for a student bag. I think a bag you can just load up and sling on your shoulder is the way to go when carrying books etc.

Prada saffiano leather wears badly and for the use you need it for you want something sturdy and hard wearing.

If you are set on one of the options you listed I would pick the Neverfull - let us know what you decide to get!

Of those, I'd choose the LV Neverfull because :
-it's lightweight
-mostly canvas (as opposed to leather) so there will be minimal damage in case you get caught in the rain
-least likely to lose its structure (especially in the base) due to heavy textbooks

BUT... in all honesty, if you can, I would wait to purchase your new school bag until a week or so after you start classes. University is a lot different from high school. Campuses are usually MUCH bigger so you will be walking much further to get to classes. Plus, many college campuses have varying and uneven terrain such as cobblestone, hills, etc. And depending on your major, you may need to carry very heavy textbooks. IF you still want a new bag and don't mind lacking the room and support that a backpack provides after a week of classes, then you can choose the right purse for your needs then... since you will be more aware of your needs at that point in time.

Just my 2 cents from a fairlyyy recent college grad. ;)