necklace not as dscribed condition

aimtree

O.G.
Mar 10, 2008
Hi, this isn't purse related but I bought a silver jeanine payer necklace off ebay. I asked the seller specifically before purchasing if it has any tarnishing/marks as I know that silver goes like that sometimes. She wrote back "necklace brand new, never worn"
I got necklace and it had a tarnish mark on the back, so I wrote back politely and asked why she didn't tell me when I asked.She wrote back:

" It was new, honestly. I never wore it, and I purchased it
from styleshack on Ebay, who gets pieces from boutiques to sell.
As for the tarnish mark, I suspect any polish cloth would remove
that. I have 100% feedback, and am honest as the day is long.
So no trying to deceive you, and again, I NEVER WORE IT. Sorry
for your disappointment"

I don't know what to think,I guess I'm just a bit cross as I asked specifically,but I do like the necklace and I guess I could clean it? What would people do about this? Am I being too fussy?

i would be annoyed by this, however, i understand that sometimes sellers sell new items which they never opened/saw and used a stock photo or a photo from somewhere else etc. i'm not saying this applies to your case, but it does happen.

if i got the necklace for a good price, i would forget about the whole fiasco. a bit of baking soda/water or toothpaste will get the tarnish right out. off-the-shelf products like tarn-x works too.

enjoy the necklace!

Since you specifically asked, she should have told you that the item had some tarnish. I find it funny that she is harping on never wearing the item. Did you even ask about that?

However, silver tarnishes. It is the nature of the metal. Do you expect to never have to polish the piece once it was in your possession? I would try to clean it and email the seller back if it does not come clean. Otherwise, I would enjoy the necklace and move on.

Hi, thanks for responses. I know that silver tarnishes that's why I asked and obviously if you don't polish silver it can get darker marks on it which are near impossible to remove. I didn't ask her anything about it being new, just about the condition, photo she posted was a bit dim so I couldn't really tell how the silver was as far as scratches or tarnishing and necklace wasn't cheap as I did a BIN.
I thought it funny that she kept saying that it's new because the necklace is new to her and not worn by her, but as she says (now) it was bought by her on ebay, so who's to say it wasn't worn by someone else before her?
Anyway I think I will just move on, I would feel bad about leaving anyone neutral/bad feedback unless they sent me a box of rocks or something was very wrong. So i guess I'll just put it down to strange communication and seller not being as honest as I would have been.
Thanks again for comments:smile:

Hey if you are not happy you should tell her it is not as expected. She has to help you by offering something. She is very honourable to say she is honest but she has to be helpful too.

Hrm, maybe she just really overlooked the condition. I know I own pieces that have never been worn and will tarnish if the just lay around in the jewelry box. Silver is one of those metals that you buy when it's polished and sparkling. However, it loses it's luster quickly (heck, I don't even notice how dirty it's gotten til I get the piece cleaned). Anyway, the seller sounds nice so I feel like she overlooked it. But, if you feel that you overpaid what the item is actually worth (with the flaw) you could ask her to refund your shipping- just a thought.

I sold a bracelet once that was silver that I had stashed in a box. It never occurred to me to inspect it for tarnishing. It was brand new with tags and the buyer emailed me after purchasing and said it wasn't new and that it had some tarnishing. It WAS new. It still had the tag attached. There was no way to remove it and put it back on. But I guess if she had asked me before buying if it was tarnished, I most likely wouldn't have looked and said no, since I didn't wear it ever.

Silver always tarnishes even at the store tarnishes, I remember once being on a Jewelry store that sold new pieces and they where polishing some pieces because they tarnished a bit, if the silver becames exposed to Oxigen then it will tarnish more or less depending on the brand and what other metals where used since silver is not 100% but .925 so the other .075 really matters at the end for how much tarnishing can occur.... and it also depends on the material it was packaged so if it´s really small and you got it for a great price just let it go, and remove the tarnish....

Honestly I don't think you're being fussy but due to my passive-aggressive nature, I would probably let it off.. but being that it was purchased off ebay, good descriptions and pictures are so important - and it looks like the seller failed on both. I would not call something "new" if it wasn't really new. To me it seems like the seller didn't really pay attention to the item and just told you whatever to make you want to buy the item more, which would really annoy me. She should have mentioned the tarnish, especially since you specifically asked about it.

Thanks guys, I think she did lie a bit/or wasn't careful,but probably thought she'd get away with it. I guess worse things happen though, so best to move on as you will never get through to some people.
I just re read this thread and it still makes me laugh a bit with her comment "I'm as honest as the day is long" I told my boyfriend and he was like "what?"
I don't know why I find that funny, just seems a weird thing to say to justify honesty.