NBC sued for 100 mil for catching a predator too well

I think the reason that there hasn't been suit before is that this evidence is rarely used in trial. If you plead out, I think unless you expressly retain the right, you cannot sue for violations of your civil rights. In cases like this the DA wouldn't allow that. Because the deck is stacked in the DA's favor at trial even someone who has had their rights violated is better off taking pleading out. People won't risk challenging this from jail until they die to make a point, instead they will take a lesser punishment.

True enough. I hope that NBC does not settle this suit and that the facts can come out at trial. I will be interested to see how this effects future TCAP episodes, and if this suit results in a future "class action" suit against NBC, or at least other indiviual suits if it can be proven that Dateline was not always above board in the gathering of its evidence.

I think the reason that there hasn't been suit before is that this evidence is rarely used in trial. If you plead out, I think unless you expressly retain the right, you cannot sue for violations of your civil rights. In cases like this the DA wouldn't allow that. Because the deck is stacked in the DA's favor at trial even someone who has had their rights violated is better off taking pleading out. People won't risk challenging this from jail until they die to make a point, instead they will take a lesser punishment.

Yes, but if it can be proved that NBC violated people's rights when obtaining evidence against them then can't they appeal their sentences, or file civil suits on their own?

People have pled out on murder/rape charges before and still been able to file an appeal years later when new evidence surfaced.

Sugarwitch: I also did read about the NBC worker that got fired for questioning the policies and guidelines that NBC have and how Perveted Justice was violating them.

LINK

I think PJ were involving their emotions in this investigations not thinking and applying the law 100%. And now shes suing NBC as well for 1 mil.

I agree destroying evidence is a bad sign, but for all we know it was just evidence of that one chat, which is pretty damning in and of itself, but not proof that he ever molested anyone. I guess I just hate to condemn a person w/o a trial and full information and now that's impossible.

Some how I agree with you. Now yes he was a prosecutor and yes he prob thought he was gonna end up in jail Guilty or Not because like you said the jury would have involved their emotions and not think about the law and civil rights,etc. ..... but I cant seem to not think that he probably did something in the past wish made him kill himself - and why would he fryed everything in his computer? that was a very important evidence IMO

Yeah I read part of her complaint, and after this discussion I'll be sure to read the whole thing! BUT after the bar exam which starts on Tuesday! I better get back to studying, this was a very interesting conversation though, thanks for your insight ladies.

Sugarwitch: I also did read about the NBC worker that got fired for questioning the policies and guidelines that NBC have and how Perveted Justice was violating them.

LINK

I think PJ were involving their emotions in this investigations not thinking and applying the law 100%. And now shes suing NBC as well for 1 mil.

Yeah I read part of her complaint, and after this discussion I'll be sure to read the whole thing! BUT after the bar exam which starts on Tuesday! I better get back to studying, this was a very interesting conversation though, thanks for your insight ladies.

Thank you for your insight/opinions ... good luck on the bar. :smile:

Thank You for showing us the other side of the story!! and good luck on your test

This isn't really my place to say however, I personally think that if I had a brother or sister who was caught on the show, I would react quite differently. I think that I would not want to call attention to how my sibling acted. I think that if the sister truly was greiving for her brother, she would do something besides sue. Honestly, its seems to me like shes saying "Oh, the only way you can replace my brother is too pay me this much money..." I mean, you can't ever replace a sibling so it seems a bit strange that she believes that money will make her feel better.

*I'm so sorry if this offensive to anyone, I'm an only child so I don't know what its like to having bros/sis. This whole message is entirely my opinion, I'm not trying to convince anyone else, but just say what I think.:flowers:

This isn't really my place to say however, I personally think that if I had a brother or sister who was caught on the show, I would react quite differently. I think that I would not want to call attention to how my sibling acted. I think that if the sister truly was greiving for her brother, she would do something besides sue. Honestly, its seems to me like shes saying "Oh, the only way you can replace my brother is too pay me this much money..." I mean, you can't ever replace a sibling so it seems a bit strange that she believes that money will make her feel better.

*I'm so sorry if this offensive to anyone, I'm an only child so I don't know what its like to having bros/sis. This whole message is entirely my opinion, I'm not trying to convince anyone else, but just say what I think.:flowers:

The sister is suing on behalf of her brother's estate, so that doesn't necessarily suggest that she would be the ultimate beneficiary of this money if the suit was successful. She is merely the one bringing the suit.

One of my favorite classes in law school was criminal investigation. I had a fantastic professor. I would have loved to hear her input on this show and this case. Good luck on the bar, sugarywitch!

I actually do agree with you - if i was his sister I will be so embarrased about this whole situation.

Thanks for all the well wishes on the bar, I need some SERIOUS luck :crybaby:!

Everyone thinks that, I'm sure you'll be fine. I remember I was studying during our lunch breaks in between the sessions, and a friend kept taking my materials away. She said "if you don't know it now, it isn't going to matter." When I got the results, I decided I over-studied :P

There's no way I've over studied, I'm a terrible procrastinator, so now I'm cramming :tdown:.

Everyone thinks that, I'm sure you'll be fine. I remember I was studying during our lunch breaks in between the sessions, and a friend kept taking my materials away. She said "if you don't know it now, it isn't going to matter." When I got the results, I decided I over-studied :P

Unbelievable...only in America can people sue for idiotic purposes. That show serves a purpose..it helps track dirt bags like those and locks them away. Our justice system is so screwed up.

I've been reading about this lately and done a little research on it. Honestly, I think a lot of people are reacting on their initial and gut instincts here. Let me be clear first, I think child molesters are the scum of the earth and should be prosecuted 100% and put away...period. So, the reason I'm saying this has nothing to do with taking their side.
The thing with this group Perverted Justice, is that with some instances, they are entrapping men. The issue is this: The only logs they keep are the private messaging logs, which pretty much all of the time make it seem like these guys are the aggressors, however, they don't log and keep the public chats in the rooms where these lures supposedly conduct themselves provocatively and flirty so that men msg them privately. Once the rapport has been established in the public room, then they go private for more. At that point when it's rather clear that sex talk is gonna happen, it does...and then ages are spoken of....or not. Sometimes it's unspoken and implied. Now, I'm not sure this is true, but that's what people are saying and why evidence is being tampered with. If that's the case, then obviously it's not right.
So yeah, the point is that it's not as cut and dry as you might think.