Navy Blue Mini? Help!

misspurse

O.G.
Aug 21, 2011
Hi! I have a bit of a dilemma. Am purchasing my first Chanel (and maybe only for the foreseeable future), and have pretty much decided on the mini. My first choice is black since it seems most versatile, however, it is sold out everywhere! :sad:

I called around and found a store that has a navy blue mini in stock. The SA swore it looked "just like" black and lots of customers mistake it for black, except, well, that it's not. I haven't seen the bag in person and can't because the store is in another state. The only way I can purchase this bag would be to do a charge-send. They've also put me on the waiting list for a black mini, but I am #58. :sad:

My questions are, does anyone have a navy blue mini (or any Chanel in navy blue)? How close would you say it is to black, but more importantly, would you say it is just as versatile as black and that I would be able to use it in all the same situations, outfits, etc. as a black bag. I am not the kind of person who must have all matching accessories but I don't want the navy blue to stick out like a sore thumb.

I am not in a hurry for the bag and wouldn't ordinarily mind the wait. However, due to the rumored price increase, I know the black probably won't come in before it, and I really don't want to pay 15-20% more just because of a color. Would you buy the navy blue now because it's available and seems like a decent option? Or would you wait for the black but may possibly have to pay hundreds more? Thanks in advanced!!

Hi! I have a bit of a dilemma. Am purchasing my first Chanel (and maybe only for the foreseeable future), and have pretty much decided on the mini. My first choice is black since it seems most versatile, however, it is sold out everywhere! :sad:

I called around and found a store that has a navy blue mini in stock. The SA swore it looked "just like" black and lots of customers mistake it for black, except, well, that it's not. I haven't seen the bag in person and can't because the store is in another state. The only way I can purchase this bag would be to do a charge-send. They've also put me on the waiting list for a black mini, but I am #58. :sad:

My questions are, does anyone have a navy blue mini (or any Chanel in navy blue)? How close would you say it is to black, but more importantly, would you say it is just as versatile as black and that I would be able to use it in all the same situations, outfits, etc. as a black bag. I am not the kind of person who must have all matching accessories but I don't want the navy blue to stick out like a sore thumb.

I am not in a hurry for the bag and wouldn't ordinarily mind the wait. However, due to the rumored price increase, I know the black probably won't come in before it, and I really don't want to pay 15-20% more just because of a color. Would you buy the navy blue now because it's available and seems like a decent option? Or would you wait for the black but may possibly have to pay hundreds more? Thanks in advanced!!

Hi, I would wait and get the color you want. For me, I wouldn't buy something unless I absolutely loved it, and would rather pay a little more to get what I want. I have not seen this season's navy, but I have seen other navys. The ones I have seen from past seasons are clearly navy to me, not black. Meaning if I wear something black, it will be obvious the mini is navy, not black.

For me, I know if I settle, I will not love the item as much and will probably not wear it as often.

A black mini is gorgeous and classic. If this is your first Chanel, I would wait. Get your name on several waiting lists... Saks, NM, and Nordstrom. You may also try Chanel boutiqeus, but if this is your first Chanel, that might be tough. Department stores are easier. There is no commit to buy. You will eventually get one.

Good luck!

My SA showed me a black caviar mini with shw about two wks ago (which I am sure has already been sold) so I don't think they are sold out everywhere. If you want the black one, wait for it, don't settle for something else.

thanks for the replies thus far. I really appreciate them. I also want to mention that I don't *have* to have black, though it is my first choice. And I wouldn't feel that navy blue is necessarily "settling" as long as I could get a lot of use out of it. The question is... would I? My wardrobe is overall pretty casual- I wear a lot of jeans, cardis, etc. There is quite a bit of black in my style though so would the navy blue clash or complement? Hmmmm..... If I had the funds I would just get one of every color and be done with it. Ha! ;)

I've seen the navy blue lamb mini in person. Indeed the blue is very dark. I think there is one jumbo in that color revealed in the Aug purchase thread. You may wish to check it out ;)

Misspurse, navy blue is the perfect alternative to black if you have a lot of black bags already. Personally I think the navy blue lamb complements the lambskin leather very well and it would go with most outfits. It is a great neutral color. Good luck deciding!!!:smile:

I don't think navy blue is as versatile as black, no matter how dark the blue. If I were you, I would wait for the black one or save more fund and buy classic m/l.

bluekit said:
Misspurse, navy blue is the perfect alternative to black if you have a lot of black bags already. Personally I think the navy blue lamb complements the lambskin leather very well and it would go with most outfits. It is a great neutral color. Good luck deciding!!!:smile:

Hi misspurse, I agree with bluekit. I have a navy from 11A/ 12C (got in Paris last July, didn't have the tag so not sure exact season) and I use it often. It's neutral without being as harsh as black sometimes could be, depending on your outfit. Both are great but I really wouldn't mind navy. It's a great alternative to black imho, hth :smile:

Hi,
I think the black mini is still available.... i was offered one by 2 SA from Saks a few days ago.... i bought the red mini instead.... good luck in hunting your bag....

misspurse said:

Could I asked where or what store has the mini in blue in stock?

The navy blue is beautiful coz I just bought one! Is a nice alternative to black as I always prefer dark color bags so it will not get dirty easily!
And the silver hardware just bring out the blue even more!

thank you so much for the replies. i have found your opinions really helpful. for some reason, saks is the one store i have not tried yet, so thank you to all the people who suggested it. i also heard there is a 10% discount for opening a saks card? i don't have one, so that could be enticing as well!

that said.... i've slowly been falling in love with the navy blue lambskin!

I've seen the navy blue lamb mini in person. Indeed the blue is very dark. I think there is one jumbo in that color revealed in the Aug purchase thread. You may wish to check it out ;)

thanks endlessbaglove for mentioning the august purchase thread. i took a peek, and omg, the navy blue is amazing and gorge!!! and it does almost look black, and i love the silver hardware. because of this, i am now actually leaning towards the navy blue. very unexpected, considering i started this thread thinking black is best. i also happened upon the original reveal for this bag here:

http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel/my-first-jumbo-reveal-o-766298.html

i hope the OP doesn't mind, but here is a pic of the navy blue jumbo:

navy blue jumbo

Chanelclassicflapjumbo6.jpg

isn't it TDF??? :drool:

Last edited:
I saw navy lambskin from this season. Yes, it looks like black. Very beautiful color. In my opinion also versatile and can match all outfit, especially if you wear jeans. Good luck on your decision.. :smile: