Nasty Neighbor....

Beach Bum

O.G.
Feb 17, 2006
Most of u remember when I got a puppy named Ripley..He is now 2.Well,he has JUST now finally calmed down EXCEPT for barking issues
I have done numerous pet training classes with him but he still barks at ANYONE outside that he doesnt know.
This leads me to my MAJOR problem.My next door neighbor is a good friend of mine.,HOWEVER her hubby is an AHOLE...LOL..seriously(His wife doesnt even like him!!..Long story)
I have CAUGHT him crossing ONTO MY PROPERTY and trying to HIT my dog.Then he also tries to HOSE my dog if he barks at him too.I dont know what to do.He gets Ripley all wound up and it makes Ripley BARK MORE.....get what I mean.Ripley doesnt bark at people he knows..JUST STRANGERS.
I bought a bark collar....DID NOT WORK.I bring him inside(we have invisible fence)when he is barking too much..like if my neighbors r outside playing with their kids...
any suggestions????He sent me a nasty email with a link to bark collars..I replied that I ALREADY TRIED THEM~LOL!..
tonight I get this email....

Jill....you got to think of something....it is otta control. Here are some tips.....but it requires you guys to want to get it done! I have trained a few dogs in this area....and it works. Some of it may sound a little harsh....but it will get the job done. Let me know if you need any help.

Barry

A quick explanation of how to bark train your dog
This short section will tell you everything you need to know to bark train your dog.
No-Bark Bark Training: The Short Version
In its most unadorned form, training a dog not to bark is a simple matter. You just give him a good smack or make sure some other unpleasant thing happens immediately after each and every bark. If you keep it up long enough, the dog will stop barking. It's that easy.
A No-Barking Bark Training Checklist:
  • Every time your dog barks inappropriately, go to him and shout "no." Then, an instant later, either spritz him lightly in the face with the watery mist of a clean spray bottle, or, give him a token, two-fingered smack on the nose. If you choose to smack your dog, keep in mind that your goal is not to inflict pain or injure on the animal. You are just trying to ensure that his every bark is followed immediately by a consequence that he finds unnerving and unpleasant. So be careful not to use too much force, and be especially careful dispensing punishment to puppies, who are extra fragile. The rule then is: Don't hurt the dog. Just make sure that after each and every bark, he suffers an unpleasant, unnerving consequence that is just harsh enough to cause him to want to avoid experiencing it again in the future.
  • Make sure that the way you smack the dog, or whatever it is that you do to the dog after he barks, is something that he truly finds unpleasant. If he doesn't mind what you are doing enough to want to avoid experiencing it again in the future, it is not going to work.
  • When the dog barks, go to where he is. Do not call him to you.
  • Go to him immediately after he barks.
  • Go every time he barks, for as long as it takes, until he masters the art of not barking.
  • Your punishment should be so consistent that the dog comes to perceive it as an automatic and inevitable consequence of barking.
  • When the dog is quiet, reward him with your presence and your affectionate interactions.

Barking and Walkies!

The first step in obtaining peace and quiet is to realize that lots of barking is caused by the dog being lonely, bored, frustrated or frightened. These are all situations that you can help to alleviate. A well-exercised, happy dog is more likely to sleep all day while you are not home. Spend time playing with, training and exercising your dog.
Obedience training is great mental exercise. Thinking is a tiring activity for dogs, as it is for humans. Most dogs really enjoy a rapid paced, exciting "game" of Come here, sit, heel, sit, heel, down, stay . . . come here for hugs, a massage, a celebration of praise and treats. Don't allow training to be a boring, tedious routine. If your dog lives in the back yard most of the time, she probably needs "social exercise." She needs walks around the neighborhood, so she can investigate all the sounds and smells that tantalize her while she is in the yard. Bring her into the house when you are home. She needs to feel that she is part of your family. Having a large yard is not equal to having a well exercised dog. You may see your dog dashing madly around your yard, but he is not exercising. He is doing the doggy equivalent of pacing, fidgeting, or other human forms of nervous activity. Provide your dog with fun things with which to occupy himself, such as a digging pit or special chew toys.
Dogs are social animals. They need friends and companionship. Take your dog to the same dog park daily or weekly and let her make doggy friends. Dogs romping around and playing together tire rapidly and will sleep happily while recovering from the good, hardy play session.

OH...and just a week ago..I caught him ON MY DECK....with a freakin BASEBALL BAT..threatening MY DOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

remember his wife is a GOOD friend of mine..so this is a STICKY situation..UGH

Ill kick his ass if i see him touch my dog though...

Jill this is a mess. I have a bad feeling that you are going to have to rain down on him as he may end up killing or hurting your dog. If he feels he has the right to trespass and commit a crime that is not good. This may be a situation where you have pick between the dog's safety and your friendship. Have you had an "animal behaviorist" come over and assist?

^Ripley NONSTOP barks AT THIS GUY ONLY.....because this IDIOT deliberately teases my dog.he is not a crazy barker with others....this guy just makes it worse.his wife wont interfere....they dont have the best marriage and she has 2 little ones.....

OMG, I can't believe he has gotten on your property without your consent! How dare he try to take it upon himself to ''punish'' your dog! I'd seriously would consider maybe putting a video cam in your backyard to monitor if he trys to do something serious to your dog! Hope things look up...

OMG, I can't believe he has gotten on your property without your consent! How dare he try to take it upon himself to ''punish'' your dog! I'd seriously would consider maybe putting a video cam in your backyard to monitor if he trys to do something serious to your dog! Hope things look up...

Great advice! This guy could wind up hurting your dog.....once I cursed my aunt out for lightly smacking my dog on the butt because she kept trying to hump her dog. (yes, my female dog likes to hump other dogs). I went CRAZY.

If I saw someone swinging a bat at my dog I would SHOOT them! And I would claim it's self-defense..I would plant a gun on them. or stab myself and say they did it. seriously, i am such a psycho when it comes to my dog.:s:roflmfao:

This guy is a real antagonist! I say buy him a collar, and each time he terrorizes your pup, he gets the smack across the face with fresh poop! Dang, what a crazed man. Um, so if you didn't have this dog, it would likely be another issue, right. Sounds like this guy enjoys complaining. I say you buy him some industrial strength ear plugs and tell him to shove em! Sorry you are going thru this Jill!

You're not going to change your grumpy neighbour, so get an expert in to sort your dog out and then he won't have anything to whinge about. The next time you see your "lovely" neighbour on your property, call the police. Good luck.

In its most unadorned form, training a dog not to bark is a simple matter. You just give him a good smack or make sure some other unpleasant thing happens immediately after each and every bark. If you keep it up long enough, the dog will stop barking. It's that easy.

I think he mean what he said when he bring the baseball bat over. LOL.
Threaten/lie to him that you saw him with the baseball bat with a HIDDEN CAMERA and you have enough evidence to bring him to court for animal abuse. So next time, maybe he will think twice about trespassing your property!

There's a reason Ripley hates this guy. If I was nearby, I would bring my Ripley and my Daisy to gang up on him.

Unfortunately, your only goal is to keep your Ripley safe. Not going to do you any good to call the cops after the guy has gone nuts with a baseball bat. I wouldn't let Ripley out without supervision. I don't have a fence for my girls, so that is a foregone conclusion for me.

Jill, he was on your porch with a baseball bat?? Isnt that a no brainer?? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. My husband would have been outside in two seconds addressing the issue. He has no right...barking or not.

wow, Jill, I feel for you!! My precious Mia was also a barker during her first 2.5 weeks home w/ us..she barked so much whenever she is left alone..it was driving me NUTS! i once timed her..she can bark for 3 hrs straight!! it was insane and placed soo much emotion burden on me b/c i live in a NYC building! i was terrified of what me neighbors would think...
i tried collar, spray water,etc..nothing really worked. i have friends who used PET AGREE- it emits ultrasonic sound that is not harmful, just annoying, to the dogs..and it is undetectable to human ears. It does not work on Mia, but it has worked for some of my friends...if you are interested, i can mail mine to you..lol..i actually can hear the PetAgree..(but no one else can!) maybe i was a pup in my previous life..LOL..

other than these devices, the only suggestion i can offer is training, training and more training. I use the crate training on Mia and I follow this feeding/playing/alone time schedule my breeder gave me. it was like being in bootcamp at first but it really has helped Mia. she eventually got use to being ALONE, BY HERSELF, so now, she hardly barks at all!! It was funny b/c the other day my mom asked me if Mia ever barks bc she never "Seen a dog so quiet." LOL..i told her, she should have seen Mia before! haha..

good luck to you..i wish i could have been more helpful..
hugs!!