Nappa gaufre sfumato "PEELING" after 3 days of use!!! Help...

:cry:

I just bought my gaufre about 1 week ago in Milan and today's my 3rd day using it.

I understand that there may be scratches after normal usage but for the leather to start "peeling" just after 3 days of use is really shocking.

I am wondering if I go to a prada store (I'm in Australia) and make a complaint about it, will they just brush me off and say that I must have been using it in a rough manner?

Attachments

• The New Bag.JPG
    The New Bag.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 1,037
  • After 3rd use peeling on left side.JPG
    After 3rd use peeling on left side.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 1,082
  • After 3rd use peeling on right side.JPG
    After 3rd use peeling on right side.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 1,079
Oh Please let us know how this goes. i dream about this bag in black. deeply interested to know how this unfolds for you. so sorry Sis. :confused1:

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice.

I went to a Prada store today and the lady looked at it and sort of ponder for a while.

She asked if I still have a receipt and the authenticity card.

She will need to speak to her store manager and see how they can help me.

She explained that firstly the leather is made from calf skin which naturally will stretch after some wear. Secondly, this bag is of this sort of color (gradual fading of the brown color) is actually done by a spray on process by hand (hope I got her correct but I clearly remember she say it's a spray on process) which is why one can see the gradual change of the brown color on the bag.

I went on to ask if this will happen to other bag and she did mentioned there is a possibility.

I also asked if this would happen to a black gaufre. She mentioned the black gaufre is of a different process.

At one point, I actually accidentally said that what happen if I lose my warranty card (I was meaning to say authenticity card). She then quickly correct me that it's not a warranty card, it's an Authenticity card. And that there is no warranty on a bag. And she said this in a rather, hmm, annoyed manner? I was a little taken aback by her reaction as she was really nice in the beginning.

I got a little annoyed and said that regardless of what happen, I certainly do not expect the quality of a Prada bag to be of this level with that sort of price tag!!!! I can accept that with wear and tear, a bag will definitely have scratches but certainly not within a week or so and only after 4 days of use!

She did quickly smile back and assured me that they will help me to sort this out so I got a little "nicer" and smile back and explained that I am just a little frustrated as I was not sure if I was the cause of the problem. But with their assurance that they will help me to sort something out, I am certainly feeling much better.

So my advice to all potential Nappa gaufre sfumato owners, be mentally prepared that this stretching of the leather will cause this "stretching" effect. My hubby actually thinks that it makes the bag looked rugged! But I am a person who prefers my bag to look like a brand new bag.

My friend who was in the store when I was sorting this out commented that the color of this bag is really unique and it would be a pity if I have to exchange it for another color.

Sigh... will have to see what happen tomorrow. I have this feeling that they may either ask me to change to a different color or maybe they won't do anything at all! oh well...we'll see what happen.

Keep us posted -3 days is unacceptable regardless of this process happening if thats the case IMO people should be told that this can happen to the bag prior to purchasing and then they have the option to buy or not!

I just came back from the Prada boutique and saw the very bag you have. I checked out the bottom of the bag and INDEED, it has "peeled" as well! I was quite shocked at this and I figure it's because it's on display... but STILL! That's pretty bad for such an expensive bag. The store should be able to do something... and I'm hoping you get good news soon. I mean, I just bought a new wallet at the store and the SA said if I had any problems with it, they'd be happy to fix it for me... within a yr. So... yours is 3 days old... they have to fix it someway or other! good luck!!

this sounds like the case of Antique Cervo -peeling/cracking. obviously, Prada needs to put more work on degrade/coloring/glazing techniques. w/ the antique issues, you'd think they would have perfected it by now, or at least, strengthen treatments to last longer... tsk!

sorry about your bag op. i think its in the nature of Prada degrades, therefore i suggest, to exchange it to another style instead. may be bound to happen again. yours and display bag, as shared by artsy^, says it all! i have a bambu gauffre plain lambskin leather - almost a year of use, no babying whatsoever, and amazingly no scuff or scratch to this day! GL!

Prada is not alone with this problem. Any finish not dyed into the leather but applied after the dying process can peel and flake. Chanel metallic reissues have some of the same problems. Anecdotally cracking/peeling seems to be worse with calf leather vs nappa.
Sorry you are going through this.

Hi All,

I've been to the Prada Store again today and the store supervisor attended to me. She was such a lovely lady.

Her options were totally pissing me off but I just couldn't get mad at her as she was really nice and apologetic.

She acknowledges it's a defect and that they will help me out.

Option 1: Australia has run of this model and this color. Hence if I were to get another replacement of the same color and the same model, I may have to wait for 6~8 weeks as they need to source it outside Australia. I will not need to show the receipt since I got the Authenticity card.
The catch is they cannot guarantee that the next bag (they will definitely check and make sure the new bag is not having any peeling), after a week of usage, will not have the the same issue! It's as good as saying it's my problem if the 2nd bag has the same issue. How is it MY problem when it's THEIR quality problem?!?!?!?!?!?!

Option 2: If I wish to exchange for the same model bag but of a different color, I will need to produce a receipt and the Authenticity card. If my receipt indicates I pay €1650, I will have to use the current bank (local Australia bank) exchange rate and convert the euros to AUD. Out of curiosity, I asked for today's exchange rate and it was 1.21. Which means my bag is only worth AU$1996.50. And the same model bag of a different color is costing AU$2650. Which means I have to top up AU$653.50!!!!!!!
SAME BAG, but different color.
Why is it their business that I am paying lesser money to purchase this bag in Europe and now I am being penalized for THEIR mistake?!?!?! So if everything has to be calculated right down to the cent, why don't they compensate me for my accommodation and air ticket to Milan???

It's like you buy a Sony camera in a country that sells at a cheaper price compare to a local Sony store. The camera has a defect and you go to your local Sony store and ask for an exchange, they tell you that the next same model camera may have the same problem due to the color and you ask to change to same model and different color (which is the same price locally). The local Sony store will NOT ask you to top up the money because you buy it cheaper elsewhere.

This is SO RIDICULOUS!

Option 3: If I wish to exchange my current bag for a different model, then it will still be converting €1650 to AUD and then top up any difference.

I am going to call their area manager tomorrow and talk this out.

Seriously, I am NOT paying $16.50 for this bag. I am paying €1650 for the bag!!! WHERE IS THE FREAKING QUALITY?

If they are not going to allow me to exchange for a different color or guarantee me for at least 3 or 6 months that the next new bag will not peel, I am seriously considering taking this matter to a consumer affair or equivalent.

Sigh...this is my 1st Prada bag. Never again. I will stick to my Louis Vuitton.

I am really praying hard that I am just overreacting and that the area manager is going to offer me a better solution.

Last edited:
I would check out the consumer affairs in your area - that seems very unfair you should be able to swap a like for like regardless - if you want it in a different colour you should be allowed. The exchange thing is bull if you paid more in Europe and you wanted to exchange for a lesser value in AUD would they refund you the difference! I don't think so- I would go further you should be allowed a swap you are inconvienced not them.