Travel Napa Valley For Christmas!

Bentley1

O.G.
Nov 9, 2009
Hi everyone!

I have looked at a few threads related to Napa Valley, but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Does anyone know what the atmosphere is like in Napa during the holidays?
I have heard and read mixed reviews from it's totally dead/closed down, to it becomes rather touristy, with some wineries, etc. even open on Christmas Day.

I'd love any info or feedback. My bf and I are looking to be in the area around Dec. 23-26 and would like to do some tastings, dinner and such.

I'd appreciate any first hand info that might be helpful! Thanks so much!! :biggrin:

^It's festive! Personally I love St. Helena - walkable cute little downtown with shops that will be decorated for the holidays. Yountville is also cute and for food, it can't be beat! (Thomas Keller's famous French Laundry and lesser known but still delicious Ad Hoc, Bouchon, Bistro Jeanty are there). YUM!

Businesses in the Valley being open around Christmas is hit or miss...definitely research the places you want to and check out their websites or call them to confirm their operating hours.

Bring layers and rain gear, since it's in the rainy season and the nights can get very chilly.

Have fun!

I think it's beautiful! And quite a few places are open - it should be easier to get reservations at restaurants, etc and hotels should be cheaper too. Have a wonderful time but do research smaller restaurants/wineries to make sure they are open on the relevant days :smile:

Thank you so much for the info!

We're definitely going to look into each place we plan to visit individually to make sure what's open.

Unfortunately, French Laundry is completely booked, but Bouchon has quite a bit of openings.

It's great to know that it's festive, even if everything isn't up and running!

^Yeah, French Laundry takes bookings at a minimum of 2 months prior to your date and even then it's very difficult to get a reservation. A friend of mine couldn't use her reservation once and gave it to me and DH. It truly remains one of the most memorable meals and experiences in my life! Just insanely delicious!!

^ Wow, that sounds like an amazing experience.

They told us that they put us on the waitlist in case there are cancellations, so we'll see. lol

If we don't luck out, it gives us a reason to head back up to Napa again soon just to visit French Laundry. :biggrin:

Do you mind sharing about how much it runs for two people to dine there? I've heard it's a minimum of $200?

^Sure, but this was back in 1999. There were 2 of us for lunch on a Friday and the bill came to over $500 (yikes!) Sooooo worth it though. An amazing experience we both still remember fondly.

We added the wine pairing to our courses and I also had optional black truffle shavings one on of my dishes (+$40 at the time and soooooo worth it!!).

If you can budget for it definitely get put on the waiting list...you never know!!

^ Oh, wow! $500!!! :Push: And that was for lunch!?!

I can definitely tell it was worth it, though! The food, experience, memories, etc.

I'll pass the info on to my bf, b/c at around $500 we'll def have to budget for that! :lol:

I really like Bouchon. Another great restaurant in that area is Redd. If you go to Bistro Jeanty (much more casual), make sure you get their tomato soup in puff pastry. It's divine!

If you go to St. Helena, you have to check out Footcandy, an awesome little boutique with lots of high end shoes and bags. Eye candy!

Yes, we're definitely heading to St. Helena to visit a bunch of wineries in the area and also to check out their Main Street. So I will be on the lookout for Footcandy.

Thanks for the suggestion!!! :biggrin:

I really like Bouchon. Another great restaurant in that area is Redd. If you go to Bistro Jeanty (much more casual), make sure you get their tomato soup in puff pastry. It's divine!

We're staying at the Hotel Yountville, so we'll be in the Yountville area a lot and are looking forward to going to Bouchon for brunch/lunch. I've heard great things about Bistro Jeanty as well, but Redd is new to me.

But since I love tomato soup and puff pastry, Redd sounds like a definite stop as well. Wow, so much great food out there!!! :snack:

We're staying at the Hotel Yountville, so we'll be in the Yountville area a lot and are looking forward to going to Bouchon for brunch/lunch. I've heard great things about Bistro Jeanty as well, but Redd is new to me.

But since I love tomato soup and puff pastry, Redd sounds like a definite stop as well. Wow, so much great food out there!!! :snack:

Napa Valley is Beautiful ! Enjoy !

The vineyards, tours and food just lovely ! Have a great time !

BTW: The hot air ballon rides are awesome !