Naomi Osaka

Slightly OT but still tennis, Nadal has pulled out of Wimbledon & olympics

I know a lot of people are going to be disappointed for Wimbledon.

Also, I do honestly find it a bit weird someone who is already such a big star does the Olympics- I thought the Olympics were more about new talent

Slightly OT but still tennis, Nadal has pulled out of Wimbledon & olympics

I know a lot of people are going to be disappointed for Wimbledon.

Also, I do honestly find it a bit weird someone who is already such a big star does the Olympics- I thought the Olympics were more about new talent

So did I until the 1992 Olympics when Barkley, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippin and other famous NBA players were on the U.S. Olympic Team. That being said, my favorite current Olympians are Simone Biles and Usain Bolt. Serena and Venus also played in the Olympics. That makes me unclear on what the rules are anymore.

So did I until the 1992 Olympics when Barkley, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippin and other famous NBA players were on the U.S. Olympic Team. That being said, my favorite current Olympians are Simone Biles and Usain Bolt. Serena and Venus also played in the Olympics. That makes me unclear on what the rules are anymore.

That is the way it was for decades. The Olympics were supposed to be for only amateur athletes. Nobody who earned money from their sport was allowed to participate. That began changing in the '80s. The committees for the individual sports were given the authority to decide whether professionals could compete. Over time they all decided to allow it. For awhile boxing and wrestling were the only holdouts that still insisted on amateurs-only, but I think even they have switched to sending pros to the Olympics.

That is the way it was for decades. The Olympics were supposed to be for only amateur athletes. Nobody who earned money from their sport was allowed to participate. That began changing in the '80s. The committees for the individual sports were given the authority to decide whether professionals could compete. Over time they all decided to allow it. For awhile boxing and wrestling were the only holdouts that still insisted on amateurs-only, but I think even they have switched to sending pros to the Olympics.
I guess it’s inevitable that the countries want to send their best talent. Alsoultimately a lot of people become stars at the Olympics and then you can hardly say ‘No, Usain Bolt, since you signed with Nike you can’t come anymore’ because that’s not fair on the athletes.
However, it does feel like it means certain sports and competitors don’t any publicity or chance to shine but I suppose it’s never ever really been a level playing field.

And she couldn't have pulled out/asked for them to please respect her delicate mental condition and not publish them?

Actually, in some cases you can't. I worked in the entertainment/advertising industry where some contracts do not allow you to pull back. Even for celebrities...

This is because once you agree, the image can potentially be "owned" by the publisher or company depending on their terms of the contract. They have the right to use it however they may. Of course, this depends on the specific company and how they structure their contracts. It could be entirely possible that her pulling out would cause more of a mess due to lawyers, lawsuit, greater controversies, etc.

It's a very tricky situation. Her mental health SHOULD be considered and respected by the tennis world in the same way that she'd be respected for a sprained ankle or a shoulder injury. But because it's somewhat new for a player to be this vocal about preventative measures to handle it (I say preventative contrasting it to something like Mardy Fish having to pull out of a match because of an anxiety attack) it's new also to figure out how to respond. A happy medium can exist and needs to be found. I think it could work to not mandate losing players to go to the press room - but to give them a financial bonus when they do.