Nano ombré brows and watercolor lips/ semi permanent makeup/ pain levels and a micro blade alternative

30th anniversary cuff
O.G.
Aug 31, 2008
Hi all,

i am a dark skinned asian who keloid scars and I always wanted to have my brows microbladed professionally. Over the years, I would ask my dermatologists for referrals, and it wasn’t until this year that I felt confident to try it. The information I’m sharing here is actually a cross post from the thread entitled small things that make you happy. This is because @tlamdang08, @xsouzie, @Kevinaxx, and others graciously shared their experiences and knowledge with me. Some other TPF members like @cheremushki commented on my post, and it occurred to me that if other TPFers searched for this info, it would also be good to put it here. (Please bear with me if I’m too long winded; I actually don’t often start my own thread, so I may err on too much information)

As way of intro, (and because much of my cross posts center around comparing discomfort levels of facial laser to ombré nano work— I want to state here they are entirely different beasts; I’m just comparing discomfort) my dermatologist is very experienced cosmetically. She is the prodigy of the Dr. who pioneered dark skin laser creation, and her practice NY skin and laser center has some of the most dark skin laser equipment and medical practitioners in the area. I’ve done picosure, pico plus, lase MD and other laser work with them. also, at my request, theyve done Botox and vollure filler on me. https://www.laserskinsurgery.com/meet-the-doctors/dr-roy-g-geronemus/

my doctor there recommended Brows by Renee to me for eyebrows, and I was so enamored of the brow experience that I had another appt with Renee’s assistant Cory for watercolor lips/ aka lip aquarelle or lip blushing. these latter two procedures are semi permanent makeup procedures that I wanted bc I had over plucked my brows and latisse wasn’t helping. also, I am 53, and, like many dark skinned asians, had some lip thinning and grey purple coloration. I should add that I am prone to milia, so stopped wearing much makeup even before covid. Renee is an artist with brows. Cory is an artist with lips.

@xsouzie explained the difference between micro blading, ombré powder, and nano here. https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/small-things-that-make-you-happy.1026374/page-180 (@Kevinaxx also added to my small store of knowledge)
@tlamdang inspired me with her going forward with eye brows, and also reminded me via her friends pain experience to ask a lot of questions re pain before the lip procedure. I was also concerned that i not downplay the pain experience, as per @cheremushki. So, here are my cross posts:

a caveat: this is only my personal experience. I am positive the experience is very very individual, and also varies according to the practitioner and the type of service utilized. Even within one category, such as the one known as nano, there are different nano tools, with different durations of service and different lev of discomfort. What is super painful to one person may be quite tolerable to another.

here are pics of my nano ombré brows and watercolor lips so far (apparently the lip color will settle down and undergo some change in a few weeks and i will update

Brows before brows after:

452C96B6-C343-4DF9-A4C5-E65CAC913D4F.jpeg E7C51B3F-B926-40DA-9B5B-D9FC54BBE81B.jpeg

Lips
before with some grey. day after procedur

BDBFF6DA-2083-420B-A4DC-1D0B6C2E8224.jpeg 05E3695C-F37A-4577-A968-068BB6B7BBBD.jpeg

(I am in no way affiliated with either my dermatologists office or the brow company except as a happy patient/client

Last edited:
Cross posts:

my original post re the watercolor lip overview

had the first session of watercolor lip today (one follow up in a month). It was uncomfortable and my skin felt more irritated during the procedure (four hours but a lot of time spent consulting and cory @Brows by Renee was absolutely meticulous, communicative, artistic. The ombré nano technique took so long bc she prefers to use single needle for precise and less painful application. Primary work was done to even out color today and eliminate grey purple tones. there was almost more tingly irritation from the numbing cream than the procedure. if anyone has had laser work done on the face, I found this easier to deal with. pics before and after (color will be bloom and settle down a bit in a few weeks. It was my impression talking o her that this is less painful than body tatoos bc the needle here does not penetrate as deeply. The machine felt like a rubber band snapping on my lips. It’s been several days since I had my brows done and there is no scabbing or peeling, but I’m sure there will be lots of peeling on the lips in the next 3-5 days (for healing).

Of course I cannot speak as to anyone else’s experience but my own though.

first post answering a description of discomfort level for watercolor lip single needle nano ombré.

@cheremushki, I had grey tones even when I was younger, and back then (circa early 1980s, I would play with it with opalescent grey cool toned wet n’ wild glosses and I had a special all purpose iridescent chanel powder meant for brows, lips, cheeks (I saved up my allowance for it lol). But, yeah, I noticed more grey tones and almost a thinning of my lips as I got older. I do get a little vollure filler around the mid face and jaw to combat jowliness (Is that a word), but I was not go8ng to get filler in the lips. So I thought after I got the brows, that watercolor lips was a good alternative. The color and the definition of the Cupid’s bow, I thin is what makes it look, and photograph as fuller.

re painm while it was going on, I struggled to figure out how to describe it, and I kept in mind @tlamdang08 ’s friends painful characterization. It’s all relative. Cory, the lip expert at Brows by Renee explained it this way, and I agree, that she wipes on numbing cream in between passes with the nano machine. Bc there are microscopic dot openings in the very top layer of the skin, there is an afterburn, like a cooling and heated sensation that is definitely unpleasant. I’ve never been stung by a bee, but I would imagine (I have an active imagination) that bee stung, irritated lips might feel this way. on the perimeter of the lips, the machine feels like microscopic rubber band snaps all over the perimeter. In the top center of the lips, there were a few times when I was like, stop, more numbing pls.

I could totally see how Cory told me that some clients find the burning of the numbing cream unpleasant enough that they choose to skip it altogether Though. I am squeamish about pain, and bc the irritation was localized to the lips, I found it tolerable. I should give a very strong caveat: I was diagnosed with a condition called adult onset birthmark, and I previously ruined my skin texture with homemade essential oil concoctions (resulting in two emergency trips to city MD), so I’ve undergone multiple laser treatments for dark Asian skin. a combo of picosure, pico plus and a few other lasers, make the lips seem relatively pain free. But it is relative. And, I would not discount the warning of @tlamdang08 ’s friend that it’s painful bc I have a strong feeling that the experience varies greatly among individual and individual practitioner. Coru told me that some practitioners, use a nano machine with 23 needles that can get the lips done in thirty minutes. It’s apparently a more stylized lip result. I visualized it as Cory is like a pointalist like the artist Seurat, whereas the 23 needle machine might give a more Van Gogh impression. There would of course be a corresponding difference in pain management and result. Finally there is an effect wehere the numb8ng cream whitens out the lip, so at the end, you both wait until the tingling dies down and some color returns. That’s when Cory returns to the machine and retouches that area. It’s analogous to when you have your hair colored with highlights and low lights and base, and the stylist may dry your hair and then unilaterally decide to punch up or lower the wattage and actually goes back and redoes some sections. So, I apologize if I gave the impression it’s painless, but do I think it was worth it? For me, absolutely. In fact, I’ve also researched eyelash extensions and decided I am going for a consult on eyeliner when I’m there for my follow up brow appointment. (Both processes also require periodic tune ups, so that is another consideration). HTH, and my apologies for the lengthy post! Hugs

P.s. I will update with pics later this week. I haven’t worn much makeup for several years bc of issues with milia (and I formerly loved makeup lol).

seond post comparing afterburn of numbing cream on lip watercolor to my personal experience with facial laser work

@xsouzie, I also posted above this one re the pain, but here is my response to laser versus lip color afterburn :smile:

Yep, agree re laser. laser afterburn would be a 10. laser on my cheeks feels like i was on fire afterwards (A combo of picosure, pico plus, and a few others). And, the After burn on the cheeks from laser sucked. (I never went back sooner than a month bc I was dreading the afterburn. I’m enough of a wimp pain wise that I would lidocaine cream the entire face for 1 hour and the last time, Dr Geronimus was like, remind me and we’ll give you a shot plus the lidocaine. For Brazilian bikini laser. Lidocaine 1.5 hours, to the point where the other doc was like, not sure it matters to give it more time lol. the nurses also take pity on me and give me two squeeze balls for either hand, and I’m grateful for Invisalign bc I don’t want to damage my teeth grinding down. Lol.

relative to laser, the lip color was mild, maybe a 3. but again, I think it really depends on the practitioner. A single needle nano on the perimeter feels like a light quick rubber band snap. not unpleasant. For instance, I never gritted my teeth once and I was somehow able to speak without moving my lips while some of it happened. It is a bit more intense than brow ombre nano. Cory, my lip expert, has had both her lips done and a tattoo on her ribcage, and said the tattoo was far more painful. I didn’t dread making the follow up session, so that also tells me something. I had minimal swelling and I havent peeled or scabbed on my eyebrows (last thursday) or lips (yesterday) which I’m also thrilled about. I’ve left my brows alone (as per aftercare no need to use cream on brows if you aren’t peeling etc) , but I’ve religiously swabbed with a&d ointment on the lips (Also as per aftercare). I did feel afterburn tingling on lips before bed and a tiny bit today, the day after. I’m dark Asian, so don’t sun burn, but my husband is paper white and I assume my lips feel sunburned lol

im thrilled enough by the entire experience to have made an appt to consult re eyeliner on the top lid.

falling asleep during the procedure

Cory said some clients fall asleep during lip color. I didn’t bc I was busy asking questions while not moving my lips. Like about her playlist (Radiohead and Olivia Rodriguez)

im enough of a pain wimp that sometimes my scalp feels burnt when I used to my hair permed in the 1980s lol. Sometimes I still feel a burn with hair color.

@xsouzie, I forgot to add, my laser work was done all over my cheeks which is a much larger area than lips. I don’t know if your tattoo covered a larger area, but I would assume the larger the area the more irritating the burn. . .

but all of this description re pain level is only my personal experience and clearly there is a wide spectrum of experiences out there. I can only speak as to mine. :smile:

i want to add here that I’ve spoken to several dermatologists and nano experts and I was assured that my tendency to Keloid would most likely not be triggered here with nano work bc the machine doesn’t penetrate deeply, but anyone interested in th procedures should make their own inquiries As experiences may vary.

Last edited:
Hi all,

i am a dark skinned asian who keloid scars and I always wanted to have my brows microbladed professionally. Over the years, I would ask my dermatologists for referrals, and it wasn’t until this year that I felt confident to try it. The information I’m sharing here is actually a cross post from the thread entitled small things that make you happy. This is because @tlamdang08, @xsouzie, @Kevinaxx, and others graciously shared their experiences and knowledge with me. Some other TPF members like @cheremushki commented on my post, and it occurred to me that if other TPFers searched for this info, it would also be good to put it here. (Please bear with me if I’m too long winded; I actually don’t often start my own thread, so I may err on too much information)

As way of intro, (and because much of my cross posts center around comparing discomfort levels of facial laser to ombré nano work— I want to state here they are entirely different beasts; I’m just comparing discomfort) my dermatologist is very experienced cosmetically. She is the prodigy of the Dr. who pioneered dark skin laser creation, and her practice NY skin and laser center has some of the most dark skin laser equipment and medical practitioners in the area. I’ve done picosure, pico plus, lase MD and other laser work with them. also, at my request, theyve done Botox and vollure filler on me. https://www.laserskinsurgery.com/meet-the-doctors/dr-roy-g-geronemus/

my doctor there recommended Brows by Renee to me for eyebrows, and I was so enamored of the brow experience that I had another appt with Renee’s assistant Cory for watercolor lips/ aka lip aquarelle or lip blushing. these latter two procedures are semi permanent makeup procedures that I wanted bc I had over plucked my brows and latisse wasn’t helping. also, I am 53, and, like many dark skinned asians, had some lip thinning and grey purple coloration. I should add that I am prone to milia, so stopped wearing much makeup even before covid. Renee is an artist with brows. Cory is an artist with lips.

@xsouzie explained the difference between micro blading, ombré powder, and nano here. https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/small-things-that-make-you-happy.1026374/page-180 (@Kevinaxx also added to my small store of knowledge)
@tlamdang inspired me with her going forward with eye brows, and also reminded me via her friends pain experience to ask a lot of questions re pain before the lip procedure. I was also concerned that i not downplay the pain experience, as per @cheremushki. So, here are my cross posts:

a caveat: this is only my personal experience. I am positive the experience is very very individual, and also varies according to the practitioner and the type of service utilized. Even within one category, such as the one known as nano, there are different nano tools, with different durations of service and different lev of discomfort. What is super painful to one person may be quite tolerable to another.

here are pics of my nano ombré brows and watercolor lips so far (apparently the lip color will settle down and undergo some change in a few weeks and i will update

View attachment 5159293 View attachment 5159292

Lips

View attachment 5159290 View attachment 5159291

(I am in no way affiliated with either my dermatologists office or the brow company except as a happy patient/client
Great idea for a thread! Do keep updating. :hugs:

• Thanks
Reactions: skyqueen and 880
Hi all,

View attachment 5159293 View attachment 5159292

Lips

View attachment 5159290 View attachment 5159291

Ahhh, just came across this thread. I have been seeing Renee for 6 years, she is a LIFE changer!

• Love
Reactions: limom and 880