Nail Wheel Care

FillerAve

O.G.
Jun 11, 2011
Question:

So I got some basic plastic nail wheels to use for initial swatches and testing out different designs (not for organization purposes - hence the cheapness). I only got two because I planned on just using remover on ones I no longer need and re-using the wheel.

I tried to remove some of the swatches today and it turned into SUCH a mess. The polish just kind of smeared/tinted the whole area of the nail wheel, and the 'nail' became thin and translucent...

so my question to all you lovely ladies is how do you re-use wheels? Do you remove the polish with basic remover + cotton ball? I tried both regular drug store remover and one with a higher acetone content but without much luck. Do you think soaking it in remover would help?

Thank you!! :heart:

Question:

So I got some basic plastic nail wheels to use for initial swatches and testing out different designs (not for organization purposes - hence the cheapness). I only got two because I planned on just using remover on ones I no longer need and re-using the wheel.

I tried to remove some of the swatches today and it turned into SUCH a mess. The polish just kind of smeared/tinted the whole area of the nail wheel, and the 'nail' became thin and translucent...

so my question to all you lovely ladies is how do you re-use wheels? Do you remove the polish with basic remover + cotton ball? I tried both regular drug store remover and one with a higher acetone content but without much luck. Do you think soaking it in remover would help?

Thank you!! :heart:

I don't. I just buy new ones. They're really cheap on ebay (approx $4 for 10, shipped to me) so I just order more when I run out.

I don't. I just buy new ones. They're really cheap on ebay (approx $4 for 10, shipped to me) so I just order more when I run out.

Darn, I was hoping that wouldn't be the answer haha. I don't mind the expense - I just don't want to be wasteful and since I use them to try out designs many of them I will never reference again (i.e. failed designs) so it would just end up in the trash :sad:

I don't want to point out the obvious but I assume you've tried with the remover intended for acrylic/sensitive nails. Sorry if this is a stupid suggestion, I don't use nail wheels so I don't know what kind of plastic it is.

Darn, I was hoping that wouldn't be the answer haha. I don't mind the expense - I just don't want to be wasteful and since I use them to try out designs many of them I will never reference again (i.e. failed designs) so it would just end up in the trash :sad:

That's what you get for being creative. If you were just boring like me, that wouldn't be an issue. ;)

Let me show you how I swatch new polishes and combinations :smile:

I use to use cheep nail wheels but it looks like they were all over the house... now I swatch polishes on transparent scotch tape, than just peel it off ad thrown away :smile:
scaled.php

I don't want to point out the obvious but I assume you've tried with the remover intended for acrylic/sensitive nails. Sorry if this is a stupid suggestion, I don't use nail wheels so I don't know what kind of plastic it is.

I did try using a non-acetone polish and it didn't end well either :sad:

Boo... guess I'll have to buy in bulk to switch to tape! Oh well, lesson learned!

Aww this is news to me. I bought two wheels a while back. I also thought that the polish could be removed. I don't want to be wasteful either. The swatch wheels are not a necessity for me. I don't create fancy nail designs or anything so I really don't need any wheels to practice on. I'll just swatch the colors I want to play with on paper. That's good enough for me to see the colors & that's what I do most of the time anyway lol! This is good that I now know about this. I guess I'll be throwing out the two swatch wheels that I have now & not be purchasing any more.

Let me show you how I swatch new polishes and combinations :smile:

I use to use cheep nail wheels but it looks like they were all over the house... now I swatch polishes on transparent scotch tape, than just peel it off ad thrown away :smile:
scaled.php
oh I like the tape idea! ok maybe I might purchase another swatch wheel & just put tape over it instead of painting on it :biggrin: Thanks!

I'm not sure if this would help with the "waste cutting" goal, but I learn this trick from a nail salon. Instead of using the wheel, I glue those plastic nails that they use for acrylic nail to old nail file or those ice cream stick from the craft store. Then I do swatches and design on that, if something didn't work out I just cut that one out and glue a new one in its place so my design sticks always "current". That might not cut down waste but sure get rid of cluster or the need to do new wheel. I'm not sure if that make sense or not. I can post a picture when I get home next week when I get back from vacation.