Nail Salon

Baby Boo

addicted to TPF
O.G.
Dec 20, 2005
Hi guys, im thinking of opening a nail salon and wanted your tips/advice on what you would expect out of a good one, it can be a range of things from the types of nail polish you would expect to the the types or orange stick :smile: i would just like ideas... someone in my office said having different phone chargers available to use whilst there, or Ipads to flick thru and wifi...

so any general thoughts please let me know....

Baby Boo said:
Hi guys, im thinking of opening a nail salon and wanted your tips/advice on what you would expect out of a good one, it can be a range of things from the types of nail polish you would expect to the the types or orange stick :smile: i would just like ideas... someone in my office said having different phone chargers available to use whilst there, or Ipads to flick thru and wifi...

Didn't see this before, sorry :smile:! I would love to see a nail salon with some different brands. I know women love the standard OPI and Essie, so I think you'd have to still have those. But I'd love to see China Glaze, maybe some Chanels, RBL, etc. Salons near me are pretty much OPI and Essie. I own all the OPIs and the Essies are not always exciting for me, so it's not so exciting for me.

Most importantly for me, I need my manicures to come out looking perfect. I can do them perfectly myself. The last time I went to a salon, there was polish all over my skin, my nails were different lengths and shapes, and the cuticle edge was all uneven and not nicely rounded. That's not cool.

I also love the use of nicely scented products during a mani. It would be fun to have a couple different scented soaks for your clients to choose from.

The phone chargers are a nice touch. For me, I would rather get away from the Internet when getting a salon service, but I'm sure others would like it.

I'd really like to see attention to hygiene and sanitation issues in a very transparent way (particularly with pedis), a variety of gel polish services, and real professionalism in the staff, especially figuring out whether the client wants to talk or is just happy to enjoy the silence and tranquility of the salon.

Last edited:
Make sure your nail techs know how to shape nails, not just square or square with slightly rounded edges but oval and amond shaped aswell. I always ended up having to do the final shape myself when i used to get my nails done in the past as the nail techs couldn't do my shape which is a slightly pointed oval.

Good customer service, offer bottled water, and a relaxing environment. Having chargers, ipads, etc is nice but not needed. Having nail techs that actually listens to the customers and not do it to how they like it. I've came across with so many people like that before, but I keep returning because bosslady provided a nice ambiance so I tried new nail techs until I found one that actually listens! And techs that can actually carry a conversation to make customers feel comfortable and not invasive.

It's all about the environment with reasonable pricings.

That was my experience when I used to go. I still go every now and then, though.

Have brands such as OPIs, China Glaze, Zoya, Station, Essies, as long as it's a wide variety where customers can choose from. I hate feeling limited.

Good customer service, offer bottled water, and a relaxing environment. Having chargers, ipads, etc is nice but not needed. Having nail techs that actually listens to the customers and not do it to how they like it. I've came across with so many people like that before, but I keep returning because bosslady provided a nice ambiance so I tried new nail techs until I found one that actually listens! And techs that can actually carry a conversation to make customers feel comfortable and not invasive.

It's all about the environment with reasonable pricings.

That was my experience when I used to go. I still go every now and then, though.

Have brands such as OPIs, China Glaze, Zoya, Station, Essies, as long as it's a wide variety where customers can choose from. I hate feeling limited.

I totally agree with all of the above, especially about having a wide variety of polishes to choose from. I rarely go to get my nails done anymore, mostly if I have a special occasion or something going on. Too many times though, I've been unimpressed with the selection of colors offered. I know I could bring my own, but in a way it kinds of defeats one of the purposes of going somewhere to have this done.

* sanitation/sterilization- please please pay attention to these things.
* education- make sure you hire educated and licensed manicurists.
* a variety of different price points for services is always a good thing.
* maybe make sure that all manicurists give the same "quality" of service?

I have my own ipad and other devices so do most people. Spend that money on education and new and updated colors, equipment, techniques, etc.

Mostly everyone on here probably knows more about nail color and techniques than the techs. I dont go to the nail salon because of that reason. Whats the point especially since I take my own color and tell them what to do.

Thanks everyone. For every response ill take each one seriously

What kind of different nail soaks??

So u think it would b ok to have one full brand lets say Essie then like 10 colors from a variety of brands? What do u think about Jessica nail polish?

I hate having a pedi where you lie on a bed and awkwardly bend your legs to put your feet in a bowl, it's SO NOT relaxing. Definitely need some sort of chair for pedis. And yes attention to detail re cuticles etc.

* sanitation/sterilization- please please pay attention to these things.
* education- make sure you hire educated and licensed manicurists.
* a variety of different price points for services is always a good thing.
* maybe make sure that all manicurists give the same "quality" of service?

I totally agree with this opinion. I think to differentiate your salon from the competitors, u have to provide something special. For instance, salons in Singapore offer tea/coffee; variety of cookies/sweets; throw in a short foot massage together with the pedicure; they use massage chairs instead of regular chairs.

I reckon with the current tight economy, most customers would think thrice before they fork out $$ so the service has to worth it!!

Good luck in your new venture!

Making sure the instruments are sterilized goes without saying..
The technician being knowledgable in all nail shapes & cuticle care
Taking the appropriate time to do the nail sevice (mani or pedi)
Knowing when to talk & when to let the client relax
A good assortment & selection of polishes
A smile & thank you for visiting the salon.
And good luck to you!!

I agree with all of the above comments.

One thing that sticks in my mind... I went for a manicure in a resort where we stayed in Mexico and before the manicure began the technician put a warmed pack (wheat germ or something I think it was) around my neck and gave me a 60 second shoulder message, then had me sniff some aromatic oil before she began the manicure. I had never had something like that when having a simple manicure before but it totally relaxed me and I think it would make a lovely USP for a salon. :smile: It would cost very little to put in place but would make your customers feel like they were getting something extra special.

^ oooo I love that !! Thanks that's exactly kind of info I'm looking for

Sterilization goes with out saying cleanliness educated staff are my bare minimum ill post pics of place when done in just trying to offer diff things u know