nail problem, need HELP!!

Oct 26, 2010
I hope I'm in the right section..
I have a huge problem with my nails these days. I've been using acetone to remove my nail polish and all of a sudden, my nails started to split. It's been over 2 weeks and it's not better. I use a cream to help moisterize them, I soak in baby oil 10 minutes per day.. What can I do? Is this going to take a long time stop?
HELP PLEASE

I had this last year when I used aceton consistently once or twice a week. The split nails wouldnt go away for a few monts because I'd cut my nails in an attempt to cut the split part off, but the split would just "move" with the cut...

The solution for me was to buffer the top layer of the split off, basically! That was really the only way to get rid of it for me. And I tried everything.

Mine used to peel, but I started using julep's nail therapy and they aren't peeling anymore and they're Sooo much stronger. I also started using Zoya's remove+ remover cuz its moisturizing.

Mine used to peel, but I started using julep's nail therapy and they aren't peeling anymore and they're Sooo much stronger. I also started using Zoya's remove+ remover cuz its moisturizing.

Yes! Julep's Nail Therapy is the BEST! My nails used to peel, split, and look terrible until I made a vow to myself to only use Julep's Nail Therapy twice a week. The improvement is AMAZING! No more peeling and as ilovepolish said, my nails are stronger too. I highly recommend it.

I hope I'm in the right section..
I have a huge problem with my nails these days. I've been using acetone to remove my nail polish and all of a sudden, my nails started to split. It's been over 2 weeks and it's not better. I use a cream to help moisterize them, I soak in baby oil 10 minutes per day.. What can I do? Is this going to take a long time stop?
HELP PLEASE

I had this problem a few months ago, I couldn't fix it by cutting the nail because the split went to the quick. I finally fixed it by putting orly nail rescue over the split and then trimming off the damaged nail once it had grown out. It takes about 6 weeks for the weakened nail to grow out completely so keep up with your nail treatments. Also baby oil is mineral oil which isn't readily absorbed by the cuticle so you might want to try a different cuticle treatment or even straight vitamin e

I had this last year when I used aceton consistently once or twice a week. The split nails wouldnt go away for a few monts because I'd cut my nails in an attempt to cut the split part off, but the split would just "move" with the cut...

The solution for me was to buffer the top layer of the split off, basically! That was really the only way to get rid of it for me. And I tried everything.

These two things! I had this happen a lot when I first started changing my polish multiple times a week and the ONLY solution I have found is to buff the split when it first starts (or if it has gotten larger cut the split with cuticle clippers and then buff down) and follow up with Nail Therapy. Honestly, once I switched to exclusively using Nail Therapy as a base coat it made a huge difference. Still happens some times but at least this process allows it to be manageable enough to cover with polish and allow it to grow out.

Thanks for all your advice. I just buffed off all the peel ( I hope not too much since my nail seems a lot thinner where I buffed..) But at least, I see no more peeling. I only have baby oil now so I dipped for 30 minutes and I just put the ECRINAL ANP cream I got. I pray to god this goes away 'cause It looks so dirty! Plus, I want to start using nail polish again...:smile:. In how mmuch time can I start putting some on again without damaging the nails more than they have been?

Where can I get the nail therapy?

Thanks for all your advice. I just buffed off all the peel ( I hope not too much since my nail seems a lot thinner where I buffed..) But at least, I see no more peeling. I only have baby oil now so I dipped for 30 minutes and I just put the ECRINAL ANP cream I got. I pray to god this goes away 'cause It looks so dirty! Plus, I want to start using nail polish again...:smile:. In how mmuch time can I start putting some on again without damaging the nails more than they have been?

Honestly, I usually apply soon after buffing. I have noticed that if it is a particularly large or deep split, the nail will indeed be thinner and more vulnerable afterwards. However, if you apply base coat/polish/top coat it will help keep it sturdy until it grows out.

Right now I have 3 nails that have splits that I buffed down - and if I didn't have polish on I have no doubt they would break within a few hours. Since I have polish on though they function just as strong as my non-split nails. Ah polish - the glue that holds us all together!

You can get Nail Therapy from Julep's website under mani & pedi care. It runs $16 a bottle but it is SO worth it - I held out on getting it due to the price point and I am kicking myself for not going for it sooner...

I think they may sell them in their salons in Seattle but other than that Julep is sold exclusively through their website (as far as I know - please correct me if I am wrong!).

There are a lot of Canadian Julep lovers here that place and receive orders regularly without issue so I wouldn't worry too much - especially because if there ever is a problem they have GREAT customer service if you give them a call.

alright then, I will place an order:smile: and hope it arrives asap so I can start repairing my poor nails!!!
So you put polish but when u remove it, doesn't the problem come back? I still have to use remover so I'm kinda scared..

For me it was at its worst when I first started using polish remover more frequently - but once I started alternating between different removers (non-acetone for one coat basic shades, acetone for glitter etc) it got better.

Once you buff it down it shouldn't "come back" unless you have used really harsh remover or didn't fully buff away the 'shelf' of the split. I haven't had a repaired split re-split but it is, of course, still somewhat thin and vulnerable until it grows out. That's why if I have a repaired split on my nail I don't leave them nekkid for long ;) If for whatever reason I am not applying polish soon after I will at the very least apply a coat of nail therapy (or base coat will do) to give it a bit of fortification.

Don't worry - if we all let splits stop us from polishing we would see many a nekkid nails around here =D

Nah, your nails only have so many layers... I wouldn't worry about it returning immediately. Do use as little nail polish remover as possible, and I found that giving my nails a 12 hour break between manis keeps them in better shape too!
Good luck!