NAIL GOALS!!

Irishgal

I run with scissors
O.G.
Apr 22, 2006
Okay ladies and gents, admit it. You and your dog probably hate nail trims. Your dog(s) don't enjoy their "pawtacure" at all, you dread it, maybe you even (gasp) take them to the vet for their nail trims.

Fear not! It does not have to be this way. Even adult dogs can learn to accept and maybe even like the nail dremel.

I see so many dogs with nails that are way way too long, mainly because I follow about 1000 dachshunds on Instagram lol!
Why is this important? Your dog's nails can become so long they may start walking back on their pasterns, sometimes called carpals.
This can lead to orthopedic issues and discomfort for the dog.

I do my dog's nails once a week. I have one puppy that was easy to condition because the breeder started using a dremel when they were just little puppies, but my older dogs were a bit harder, but with patience and some guidance I finally got to the point that they both allow me to trim their nails with little drama. Phew! It was well worth it, so don't give up!

I think this is a pretty good guide, so if you are like so many people who avoid dealing with nail trims because of the drama, perhaps this will help.
https://www.crazyrebels.com/blogs/news/how-to-get-your-dog-dremel-astep-by-step

Questions? Feel free to ask!