Nail Extensions.. I'm confused!

omgblonde

O.G.
May 26, 2007
The place I've always had my nails done only offers acrylics but a new nail bar has opened up in my town which offers a few different types of nail extensions. What's the difference between everything? I'm confused! Which do you prefer to have done & why? Thanks!

This is the list..
Acrylic Clear
Gel Clear
White Tip
Acrylic (white tips or American tips)
Gel (white tips or American tips)
Pink & White
American Powder

i got gel nails (with whire tips) and i loved them, the girl who did them made them look natural but still long, which is good for me since i bite my nails. i've heard that acrylics are a bit worse on your natural nails than gel nails, thats just what i've heard though, since i've only ever had gel nails, i can't really say.

My nail girl always tells me that Gel nails are hard to get even. You know how the nail tech can sculpt the acrylic, and then file or buff it so that it takes the shape of your fingernail, and it's all smooth and perfect? Gels can't be buffed - they're put on, then they dry under a light, and that's it. They're hard to get even, and sometimes wind up with little high spots and low spots - like your nail is dented.

The white tips and American tips are just the tips they put on your nails to make them longer. When you're doing a french manicure, the nail tech can either put on a white tip, and then cover it with light pink acrylic (White Tips), OR she can use an American tip (translucent like your natural nail), and then put pink acrylic and white acrylic over it (Pink & White). If you like french manicure, you can start with a white tip, but your fills would have to be done with Pink & White, unless you want to have a new set done. If you're going to have colored polish on your nails, they will use the American tip, and then put acrylic or gel over it (Acrylic clear or Gel clear).

If you're happy with your acrylics, I'd stick with those.

Gels aren't any less damaging - it all has to do with the removal. Gel nails have to be filed/buffed off or grown out, and acrylics are soaked off. Either way, your nails will need some recovery time when you quit wearing them.

I don't have a clue what American Powder is.

Gel nails are AWESOME (I do my own, when I do), and they let your nails breathe better than acrylic, BUT they are not as hard as acrylic, can crack say if you hit it too hard. Also, I love the look of Gels. I believe they are more expensive than acrylic also.

Gel nails are AWESOME (I do my own, when I do), and they let your nails breathe better than acrylic, BUT they are not as hard as acrylic, can crack say if you hit it too hard. Also, I love the look of Gels. I believe they are more expensive than acrylic also.

According to my nail tech, who has been in the business for 25 years, nails are dead, and therefore it is a myth that nails 'breathe'.

According to my nail tech, who has been in the business for 25 years, nails are dead, and therefore it is a myth that nails 'breathe'.
wow really?? Didnt know that...
I have acrylics and I love it... white and pink tips always annoys me because some nail tech do not know how to pick a right size for you... I have my nail done every two weeks (Extension with no tips...)and its great.. I think it lasts longer than tips....

I would try acrylics clear if I was you...

for reference heres my nail right now.. (I think its like acrylics clear)
n502140460_3535094_4626.jpg

^ yep, that's what I've been told!

I don't like tips at all. They always end up snapping off. I have what they call here in texas sculptured acrylics (where they build it on a form) and I rarely have any problems with them at all. I LOVE them.

^ yep, that's what I've been told!

I don't like tips at all. They always end up snapping off. I have what they call here in texas sculptured acrylics (where they build it on a form) and I rarely have any problems with them at all. I LOVE them.
i think i get done sculptured acrylics.. umm i dunno they build it from the scratch.. it lasts long time... yeah tips often rips.. and it does hurts

I always get pink and white solar nails. You don't have to wait for nail polis to dry..they do white solar powder on the tips and pink powder on the rest of the nail. I like them 10x better than regular acrylics because they don't turn yellow in the pool/tanning bed. Also, they are stronger and don't break or chip..

wow really?? Didnt know that...
I have acrylics and I love it... white and pink tips always annoys me because some nail tech do not know how to pick a right size for you... I have my nail done every two weeks (Extension with no tips...)and its great.. I think it lasts longer than tips....

I would try acrylics clear if I was you...

for reference heres my nail right now.. (I think its like acrylics clear)
View attachment 520779

Wow, those are so funky, I love them!!

Thanks for all your help girls! I'm excited to go get my nails done! :nuts:

but if they are dead why do they get so weak after removing your acrylic nails? everytime i get them removed my naild beds are sooooo damaged underneath that its horrible for about 6months

Although I cant really give any insight on what the difference is, I used to get Acrylic nails.

but if they are dead why do they get so weak after removing your acrylic nails? everytime i get them removed my naild beds are sooooo damaged underneath that its horrible for about 6months
I agree, when I stopped getting my nails done it took over 6 months for my nails to be as strong as they were before I started getting fakes. Ill never get fakes again, ever.

I'm a biter :shame: and the reason why I've always been scared to get artificial nails is because of what my natural nails woul dlook like after I got the fakes taken off...I think I'd rather stick to trying to stop biting :biggrin: