Nail Board Swatching Dilemma

Ayleyaglitz

Jun 21, 2011
So I'm having a bit of a hard time deciding how I want to swatch my new nail boards and I'm looking to you girls for some input.

I can't decide if I want to swatch them by brand or by colour. I've always wanted to swatch it by brand, but right now I have a lot of some brands and only 3 or 4 of others. It seems silly to me to have a 44 count nail board with only 4 polishes on them. I could always mix a few brands on the boards but then having a board with a bunch of miscellaneous polishes might just drive me crazy. So then the idea of swatching the boards by colours seems great... until I think about the fact that I will soon be working on clients and they might want to see what brands are which and so on... so... what to do?!

How would you/do you organize your swatch boards??

Oh my gosh I am currently going through the EXACT same dilemma. I have these great nail tips in a bunch and I can't decide if I should go my color or brand. I hope we get some good advice!

So, I want other people to answer but I did get one from Shayna in a text. She said to sort by colour because it helps you better assess your collection (finding dupes, etc)...

We are in a pickle here!

I agree with Shayna - by color. I have color wheels instead of boards, unfortunately, but I find that if I do them by color, everything is so much easier. Of course I don't have clients.

I store my polishes by brand though. So I have both ways covered.

Oh and if I happen to swatch by colour, how do you ladies suggest I do the glitters? On a seperate wheel or incorporated on their colour wheel?

Who knew swatching could be so difficult!

I have an entire set of wheels just for my zoyas - but still separated by color. Then everything else is just by color.

As for glitters... if their is a prominent color I put it with similar colors. If it's a glitter or flakie you only layer over other things then I have wheels with black on every other nail and I do one swatch over the plastic nail and one swatch over black... and I call them "topper wheels" lol!

And yes, it is somewhat complicated :sad:

I have an entire set of wheels just for my zoyas - but still separated by color. Then everything else is just by color.

As for glitters... if their is a prominent color I put it with similar colors. If it's a glitter or flakie you only layer over other things then I have wheels with black on every other nail and I do one swatch over the plastic nail and one swatch over black... and I call them "topper wheels" lol!

Great idea - not complicated at all! :tup:

It's easier for me to swatch them by colour, when I did this, I realised that I have too many dupes... so it helps me to give some polishes to my mum and sis :smile:

I only swatched the holos separately.

Yup, this is what I'd do. If you're planning on wearing the glitter on its own, or if it has a very clear base color, swatch it with the similar colors. If not, put it with the topcoats.

I've swatched my polish twice, originally i did it by color but afterward it would take me forever to find the matching bottle unless i had written down the brand aswell or made a list, i hadn't. Now i do it by brand, yes it not quite as nice looking and it bugs me a bit when i only have a single polish of a brand but i always know what polish i need to reach for.

That's why I like the sticks that come on fans you can take apart ... you can re-sort them any time you change your mind about how you want to sort, add new ones in where you want them to be, and lay any two you want to compare next to each other any time you want.

That's why I like the sticks that come on fans you can take apart ... you can re-sort them any time you change your mind about how you want to sort, add new ones in where you want them to be, and lay any two you want to compare next to each other any time you want.

I was going to suggest that too! Seems like the most practical way. You can have them by color but put one brand first and then the next etc. Because they fan, you can easily hold colors next to each other.