My YSL Medium Downtown Bag in Brown Patent Leather Got Stolen

Jenn_xoxo

Aug 23, 2006
Dear TPF Members,
I am turning to you for some help. Yesterday I was walking on the street with my boyfriend about to go look at an apartment for rent when I felt something behind us. Right when I was about to say something to the hubby, a motor scooter sped by us and ripped my YSL Medium Downtown Bag in Brown Patent Leather off my shoulder. Everything, including my whole make-up kit, my patent Chloe wallet and all my i.d was in it. We ran after the perpetrator,but unfortunately we could not compete with a motor scooter. I spent half a year saving up for the bag, not to mention the Chloe wallet. As you can imagine, I am pretty devastated. I was hoping you all could help me in notifying me if anyone sees a medium downtown in brown patent leather for sale, or knows of someone who is looking to part with theirs. Your help would be greatly appreciated. It was from the Fall/Winter 2008 Collection, so I don't have much hope in buying from a retailer. I am open to comments and suggestions as well.
Sincerely, Jenn

I will surely look for it, but my god, this is so horrible !!!!!! I am so sorry, this is my worst fear! I am very glad that you did not get hurt, because more complicated strap could have pulled you and hurt you seriously - the same scooter accident happened to my granny years ago and she was seriously dragged by the strap and got hurt.

I currently live in Budapest Hungary (I am studying abroad) But I live in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada. The worst part of it is that all my belongings in the purse were worth 10x more than the amount of money I actually had in my wallet. I would've given that money to him without a fight, if he just could've let me keep my belongings... but in these situations a person can't pick and choose unfortunately. Thank You guys for your kind words and support, it means a lot to me :smile:

Dear TPF Members,
As some of you have might already have read, my YSL Medium Patent Downtown in Brown got stolen 2 days ago. A guy on a motor scooter ripped it off my arm with a lot of my belongings in it (A Chloe wallet, My entire MAC makeup set, all my I.D, Bank Cards etc). I filed at claim at the police station, but the police in Budapest, Hungary aren't really the typical nice guys who will actually try and do something about a claim. I was also the third victim this guy had in 15 minutes. As you can imagine, I am pretty devastated. I would really appreciate if you could all keep a look out for any YSL Medium Downtown Patent Bag in Brown (Or a cream color) that comes on sale, or knows someone who is willing to part with theirs. Unfortunately it was from the Fall/Winter 08 or 09 collection (it was bought a year ago in Feb) therefore I have a slim chance I will able to find one through a retailer. Any comments and suggestions are helpful to me as well. Thank you again, and I really appreciate any help that comes forth.
Sincerely, Jenn

Hi Jenn -
I'm so sorry! How horrible to be violated like this! I do hope you weren't physically hurt. It sounds like this guy is a pro and creeps like that WILL get caught, eventually (ok - I'm a big believer in karma). Although having your YSL snatched is heartbreaking, (along with all your personal stuff) - they can be replaced. I know, it's a pain in the butt to get the cc's, id's canceled and replaced.
Although I'm not a YSL fan, I'll keep and eye out (maybe I'll become one now!).
Best of luck,
Nancy

Jenn, this will not bring your bag back and your belongings but as many said, at least you didnt get hurt in the process (a friend of mine also studying abroad but in Geneva got stolen that way AND got dragged along and hurt).

I like to believe in karma so whoever did this to you will learn their lesson, hopefully sooner than later.

That beeing said, if see one, Ill sure will let you know. Would you consider another color or material or brown patent is what you want ?! Also, there is Chloé wallets on sale pretty often ofn Bluefly.

Lastly, may I suggest you contact the Canadian Ambassy in Budapest ? They will help you with your medic card, driver licence and all. Im crossing my fingers that your social insurance card wasnt int your Chloé wallet... And dont forget to cut your credit cars (im sure you already did it...).

Best,

Luana

WOW...strong arm robbery?! Just like that?! It takes a bad, bad kind of soul to rip belongings off of a person. I am SO sorry this happened to you. Losing you belongings is hard enough, but a bag that beautiful and expensive too?! Unimaginable.

I would look on ebay or bonanzle for one...maybe since this criminal is ripping off a lot of women's bags, he maybe pawning them off in the local pawn shops?

Typically burglars and robbers are trying to get money from the things they take, not the things themselves. What they'll do is sell the things they have to pawn shops or even people on the street in busy tourist areas. And since your bag is worth big bucks, they may just do that. If you feel comfortable (maybe take a male friend) visit some pawn shops around where the incident occurred and see if they have some handbags (I say local to where it happened since this guy works fast to hit small areas and are probably looking to get rid of it just as fast) Police in tourist areas are not as strict because they get paid from the city, and city makes big bucks from tourism so they're less likely to enforce "minor" things (not to downplay your victimization) like what happened to you. And some police have the mentality that the effort they put into finding the guy will outweigh the punishment they'll eventually receive. Plus it sounds like he didn't hurt you so to the police, he's not a "real" threat (eg: he didn't beat you up and take your purse) so the lack of physical injury can affect how seriously the police take the case. (I have my BS in criminal justice and am in a masters program for criminal justice so you don't think I'm just babbling).

Good luck.

Oh, and don't tell the pawnshops that you're looking for a specific item just in case the robber works with the pawnshops to move stolen items through (it happens) or is the pawn shop people are shady as well. Just act like you're interested in jewelry and handbags to deter suspicion.

OMG, that is absolutely awful... I always get concerned when I hear scooters too close, skateboarders, etc...

Best of luck in getting your things back, I am so sorry.

Thank You guys for the kind words and suggestions, I will keep all of this in mind. I didn't have any credit cards in my wallet thanks god as my passport is at home (so on the positive side my two most important things are safe) My social insurance card is in Canada, but unfortunately my Care Card was in the wallet so that will take some time. There are not many pawn shops in Hungary, so I will take a look around and also definitely go to the Canadian Embassy to try and get some assistance. I also talked to a few radio stations and they may be able to broadcast a warning against this guy. So we will see. Today I am feeling much better, stronger and happier, so I'm sure by the end of the week I will be my old self again :smile: