My X-mas gift is going back...thanks to a quality issue.

eyegirl2k7

May 5, 2008
My lovely BF got me the small Kristin patent putty hobo as part of my Christmas present. I have been looking for a light patent bag and I've been pretty excited about this one.

Well, he took it out of the dustbag so I could look at it (I am not allowed to use the Christmas gifts until Christmas, LOL) and it has tiny black dots all over the strap, the front pocket, and part of the back. They do not rub off and they are not adhesive. It looks like someone took a permanent marker to it and made a bunch of dots.

I am not going to get another one because I imagine it probably has these dots some where too. I am just going to tell him to return it and I don't think I am going to get anything else right now.

I really like the kristin hobos and this was going to be my third one. I also have the black patent and the op art embroidered one in black multi.

The other kristin hobo I would have wanted to exchange it for would be the marcasite one, but I have heard in other threads that it is peeling.

OMG, what a bummer!!!!!! I know at my boutique they really look them over before they give them to me. Did he get it in a department store or a boutique??? If you love the bag and feel it's a "must have" then don't give up - just make sure he checks the next one out before he brings it out of the store.

Do NOT tell me the marcasite peels..............I just got a satchel in marcasite and I'll cry if anything happens to it.

I hope you end up with a bag you love for Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear that the Kristin didn't work for you....and yes the Marcasite does peel...I bought one 2 weeks ago and decided to take it out of the box and lo and behold it was peeling already IN THE BOX..

Oh no! I can't believe that happened to your Kristin Hobo! I'm sorry that you've had such bad luck. Might I encourage you to get the Kristin Pleated Satchel in Putty? It's BEAUTIFUL! Though I know it isn't the Kristin Hobo. Perhaps another store will have a better batch?

Good luck! I'm sorry your Christmas present was sort of ruined :sad:

Sorry to hear about the quality issue on your Christmas present! I'd encourage him to check a few more stores for another one before giving up on the bag. Perhaps the store from where he bought it received a bad batch. Don't give up yet! :smile:

I've noticed a lot of the patent putty kristin bags have these black dots. They don't look quite like pen marks to me though, I think they're something underneath the PVC coating.

Sorry to hear that the Kristin didn't work for you....and yes the Marcasite does peel...I bought one 2 weeks ago and decided to take it out of the box and lo and behold it was peeling already IN THE BOX..

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I put my fingers in my ears and sing "I can't hear you" will my pleated satchel be one of those without issues, LOL????

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I put my fingers in my ears and sing "I can't hear you" will my pleated satchel be one of those without issues, LOL????

There's always a chance. I have the gunmetal Alexandra that everyone was having problems with and have carried it almost exclusively since September and don't have a single peeling spot. Maybe you'll get lucky! She sure is a lovely bag (that I would be all over if I could justify any more metallics than I already have).

Here are some pics of what I'm talking about. It looks like it is underneath the top layer of the leather.

@Alma--it's from oakbrook.

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }
Kristinputtydamagestrap2.jpg

Kristinputtydamagestrap.jpg

Kristinputtydamagepocket.jpg

Last edited:
Eyegirl - that does look horrible!!!! But it CAN'T be that all the bags they made are like that or other TPFers would have clued us in. But THAT bag needs to go back. I cannot believe a SA put that in a shopping bag and let it leave the store.

There's always a chance. I have the gunmetal Alexandra that everyone was having problems with and have carried it almost exclusively since September and don't have a single peeling spot. Maybe you'll get lucky! She sure is a lovely bag (that I would be all over if I could justify any more metallics than I already have).

From your keyboard to G-d's eye......this is my first metallic bag and I'm in LOVE. :heart:

Sorry to hear about your Kristin Hobo. Thanks for the pics. To me, it looks like the black dots are under the patent coating. I hope you can find another Kristin you like better! I was just going to suggest the Black patent but you already have it! LOL
The Kristin line is very nice!!!

Lynne :biggrin:

I returned it today and got the marcasite kristin crossbody. I checked it all over for peeling and it seems ok. I really wanted the hobo but I don't want to spend that much money for something that will likely peel.