My Wine Nikki arrived- !? it's *ROCK* hard and stiff! r/o

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Desi, check out my thread on alternatives for shortening the strap on the MACs with the dogleash clips. I think I found a solution! :tup:

2. I received a Dark Brown Nikki w/ Silver Signature hw for Christmas. I want it to slouch so I've hung it (full of stuff) from a hook in my cubicle. Will a couple of days of this make it slouch nicely?

3. It should slouch nicely in about 2 weeks. I hang mine on the doorknob every night with my stuff in it and just use it every day.

4. does this method work for the mini nikki too?

5. I have a Scarlet Mini Nikki and it was pretty stiff and non bending. I feared it wouldn't ever soften. I threw my stuff in it and used it for a week over the holidays. Now it's all mushy and I can ball it up in my hands. It's leather type and glazing I think will always have an inherant firmness to touch, but I was surprised at how malleable it is.

6. Yep, to a certain degree. The MN sits up higher under the arm, so I will break in but it doesn't slouch down as far as Nikki.

7. (original creator of this post)

ANOTHER UPDATE :smile:

Hi, wow, I didn't know this post had continued, I believe I stopped reading after my last post. Here is an update though.

Since September, I have been HEAVILY using my Wine Nikki. Filled it with heavy things, light things, took it shopping, traveling, EVERYWHERE. I would say definitely many months of non-stop usage. This has been my bag of choice for all this time. (I used it 75% of the time)

And regarding its STIFFNESS?

Since Day 1, (today is Dec 2008) it has softened about...40%. This is STILL a stiff bag. You must think "what, she carries it once a week with nought but a cell phone inside it" but no, at one point, I carried heavy laptop equipment inside it for an extended period of time.

It did soften up, but I have come to realize the nature of the Wine leather is that it is of a stiffer, non-smooshy, non-"collapsing in on itself"-type. Still very beautiful, but about 85% stiffer than what I'd like it to be. If I let it stand by itself, it retains about 90% of its form, without collapsing.

I was confused b/c a couple years back I had seen some girl's pics on makeupalley.com of her wine Nikki, which looked like a PUDDLE of wine leather, messaged her, and she told me :

"my wine leather is different from yours- the original Wine was very thin, puddly-soft, smooshy leather--- yours is much thicker, stronger, stiffer- I sold mine, and my friend recently acquired the new Wine, and I was surprised to see how stiff it was... truthfully, I prefer the thick, stronger leather..."

Ahhhhhh... all makes sense.

I'm keeping it because after another year or two, it should soften even MORE. (and hopefully not come apart). And I still like the deep bordeaux color. I would have definitely been happier if I had known this fact prior to my splurging $600!

8. Wow! Seriously. . . still stiff?? Can you post pictures??

9. ah...that's my biggest fear, because i really would love the smooshy puddly wine leather not the stiff one. i was kind of skeptical about how much it would soften up to begin with, because feeling my wine mattie the leather is so thick and stiff that i can't imagine how much softer and smooshier it can get, even with extensive wear. please do post pics so we can see how it looks now...!

10. okay, i will take pictures with my cell phone and post it during daylight.

11. :faint: Seriously? I just got my Sunshine Nikki yesterday, and while I almost sent it back, I didn't think it was THAT bad! Still, it is pretty stiff, so I think I'm going to have to endure a couple of weeks worth Sunshine-stiffness in order to break her him.

12. I hugged my Wine Nikki everytime I had the chance, she broke in quite quickly .. .

13. So, I'm bumping this old thread to ask:

Does anyone have a glazed black leather Nikki? If so, does it soften up at all?
    I purchased one from ShopDressOnline, and was hoping to love it, but it's so stuff and huge - not what I expected. This is my first non-MAB/MAM and I love the squishyness of those bags, so I'm at a bit of a loss with the stand-up Nikki. It seriously stands on it's own! :P

Any suggestions other than hanging books inside to get it to break in? :lol:

14. ^you could try to condition it, but it may lessen the glaze! i say stuff it to the max, and hang it. It REALLY works. I had a rock hard nikki I did that with, and it was very smooshy in a matter of days! :tup: