My very first Chanel - on sale! Instant reveal - and a few questions :)

shoppinggalnyc

Till I drop...
Nov 16, 2012
For as long as I can remember I'd wanted a Chanel bag. I have a wallet, I had a suit (sold it when I gained baby weight) but never a bag. I'm not sure why I didn't get one when I was younger but as my 40th birthday approaches I swore to myself this would be the year.

And just when I'd given up hope for a bag this sale season...

P1000394.JPG

This morning I popped into Neiman Marcus while waiting to meet a friend for a shopping date. She was a few minutes late so I headed to Chanel. The sales associate was helping another woman so I casually asked her if she had any sale returns. When she said she had a bag I nearly cried. I said I was taking it before I even looked at it.

P1000402.JPG

P1000413.jpg

P1000399.jpg

As I'm pretty new to Chanel I really don't know anything about my bag. What type of leather is it? What should I spray it with to protect it? Can I get a replacement strap - I'd love black or any kind of chain - so please advise this newbie :smile:

Thanks!

Last edited:
For as long as I can remember I'd wanted a Chanel bag. I have a wallet, I had a suit (sold it when I gained baby weight) but never a bag. I'm not sure why I didn't get one when I was younger but as my 40th birthday approaches I swore to myself this would be the year.

P1000394.JPG

This morning I popped into Neiman Marcus while waiting to meet a friend on a shopping date. She was a few minutes late so I headed to Chanel. The sales associate was helping another woman so I casually asked her if she had any sale returns. When she said she had a bag I nearly cried. I said I was taking it before I even looked at it.

P1000402.JPG

P1000413.jpg

P1000399.jpg

As I'm pretty new to Chanel I really don't know anything about my bag. What type of leather is it? What should I spray it with to protect it? Can I get a replacement strap - I'd love black or any kind of chain - so please advise this newbie :smile:

Thanks!

A TPFer recommended this website for chains. I haven't bought anything from here before, but I am looking through it now... http://www.mautto.com/category/straps-by-width-chain

Congrats on your first Chanel bag! It looks to be calf, and you really don't need to spray it with anything, just use it and enjoy!

Thanks! I'm nervous about not treating it. I have Apple, Meltonian and Collonil - which would be best?

A TPFer recommended this website for chains. I haven't bought anything from here before, but I am looking through it now... http://www.mautto.com/category/straps-by-width-chain

Thanks for the tip! I think I like the nickel prince of whales would be perfect! Which would you choose for me? Would the O ring look ok with it?

In the meantime I put my Rebecca Minkoff MAC strap on - here is my 6 yr old modeling it (I'm already in PJs):

P1000506.jpg

Thanks! I'm nervous about not treating it. I have Apple, Meltonian and Collonil - which would be best?

Thanks for the tip! I think I like the nickel prince of whales would be perfect! Which would you choose for me? Would the O ring look ok with it?

In the meantime I put my Rebecca Minkoff MAC strap on - here is my 6 yr old modeling it (I'm already in PJs):

P1000506.jpg

I've ever only used Meltonian and Collonil, but not for pre-treating. I think you could use just about anything as it's black and calf. Are you wanting to waterproof it? Then use waterstop or a similar product.

Your RM chain looks great on the bag!

I think the RM that u have put on the bag looks fabulous! The Prince of Wales chain may not even be necessary unless u want to have a variety of chains to change up the look of your bag. I also think the o ring would look good if u decide to get the prince of wales chain.

Personally i waterproof all my bags, chanel n other brands with collonil waterstop.

Thanks - I'll use the waterstop tmrw :smile: The RM strap would be great but on me it's a weird length - it looks better on my daughter LOL. I want to get a shorter or longer strap and I'm now between these two with the O ring -

Prince_of_Wales_Nickel_on_Wood_P-2675.jpg

Large_Classic_Double_Curb_Nickel_Leather_Weave_on_Wood_-_JJ_edit__LGS.jpg

I'm open to other suggestions - I just want one that looks like it belongs to the bag.

I think the RM that u have put on the bag looks fabulous! The Prince of Wales chain may not even be necessary unless u want to have a variety of chains to change up the look of your bag. I also think the o ring would look good if u decide to get the prince of wales chain.

Personally i waterproof all my bags, chanel n other brands with collonil waterstop.

Wow! What a great idea OP! Congrats on your sale bag btw! I have a tote from this collection and I love the leather! It is very care free and easy to maintain.

When you removed the original strap, did you have trouble removing it? Did it ruin the leather/holes or anything? My strap on my tote is very similar and it looks like I can shorten/lengthen it too like yours, but I am afraid to ruin it. Was it difficult to remove? Now that it's removed, can you put it back on? Thanks!

P1000394.JPG

This morning I popped into Neiman Marcus while waiting to meet a friend for a shopping date. She was a few minutes late so I headed to Chanel. The sales associate was helping another woman so I casually asked her if she had any sale returns. When she said she had a bag I nearly cried. I said I was taking it before I even looked at it.

P1000402.JPG

P1000413.jpg

P1000399.jpg

Thanks!

Congrats on your on the road flap! The leather is glazed calf and super durable. You don't need to do anything to protect it. Just enjoy your first Chanel! Congrats again!