My Very First Botkier - Howard St. Satchel!

Ugh....Super POed right now. It is 6.44pm in my time, and the shipping info said the bag was supposed to be here BY 4.30pm. I keep checking the tracking, and it says it's still on the truck, and surprise surprise, the "Will be delivered by 4.30pm" clause disappeared. I'm not sure how late Fed Ex delivers, but I sure get POed when this happens....

EDIT

Well I spoke just a little too soon...the bag just arrived!! I'll try to post up some pictures today. I just want to first off say that this bag has a lot of secret surprises!!

Last edited:
Here are some pictures I've just taken! Sorry if they're not really clear, I tried my best, and my room has horrible lighting. Overall, I'm happy with the Howard St. It's the size I was expecting, the leather is smooshy and soft. The handles will need breaking into, but the leather is so soft to begin with that I don't think it will take that much time. It is definitely a bag you carry with your hands, or you slip into the crook of your arm. The handles are kind of small, I'm petite, but even I'll have a difficult time slipping it into the crook if I am wearing a heavy jacket.

Here she is stuffed, it seems like the Howard St. can hold more than it looks!
howardst.jpg

Here she is unstuffed, and flat. There is no doubt when you put your stuff in the bottom is going to sag. Personally, I like that, and I was looking for a slouchy bag. If you aren't looking for a slouchy bag, I wouldn't recommend the Howard St. I have yet to put all my stuff in yet, but it is obvious that it will sag as you can see here in the picture.
unstuffed.jpg

And I mentioned before that this bag has a lot of little secrets! Here is one of them. Even though it mentions it in the bag description, you get this long chain to attach your keychain too. I thought it was a nice extra, but I probably won't use it for my keys.
keychain.jpg

Second surprise. The zippers on this bag are fully functional, and unzip around the entire bag. The innermost zipper track hides a secret compartment! It's like an extra pocket. I think it can even act as a slight expander for the purse.
secretcompartment.jpg

For size reference, it's about as big as the Rebecca Minkoff MAM. It's just a tad bit shorter.
length.jpg

versusmam.jpg

This is an edgier bag, but I think I'm going to make it even more edgy by hanging a raven's skull keychain on one of the D-rings in the front. I also think I'm probably going to de-tassel the bag. I will try to post up mod pictures tomorrow so give you a size reference on a person!

Yay!! Love the pics and thanks for all the references. I didn't know that the zippers went all the way around. I thought it just stopped at the bottom of the bag. I like the pebbled grain on the leather, it definitely is an edgy bag. I can't wait to see mod pics!

I just bought the Howard in cement! Mine is scheduled for Monday! I can't wait!

Thanks ladies! I think I will take her out for her first trip this Friday or Saturday. I also I think I'm going to order the keychain I was talking about, I think it would take the bag to a new level!

xlana - Based on your pix, I think the Howard's shape doesn't really change significantly with the sagging. I was considering the Logan but that bag's shape changes significantly with the sagging. Is the longer strap long enough to use the Howard as a cross-body bag? BTW - the bag looks AWESOME!!

Cloud5 - Could you please please please give your opinion/review of the cement color (and post) when you get your bag? I'm very close to pulling the trigger on getting the Howard in cement but worried about dirtying it due to the color. Also, the shade is so different from website to website.

Thanks for posting the thorough pics and review! Great bag, congrats and enjoy your first Botkier!

The chain is actually standard, by the way, and one of my favourite features of Botkier bags. ;) It comes that long so that you can use your keys without having to detach it from the hook.

I like that the zipper unzips to a functional "pocket"! That looks like a pretty handy spot for things like a metro pass. Is it fabric-lined on the inside or leather-lined?

BTW, I'm not sure if you noticed this yet, but the tassels on Botkiers are usually non-removable. The ones I have all have the tassels sewn in place near the knot (just a bit of stitching to sew the two halves of the tassel together), so you can't remove them without getting rid of them permanently. (And there's only one spare tassel too.) You could keep the ends and tie them back as shorter tassels, though, but personally, I'd probably keep them as is. HTH!

Cloud5 - Could you please please please give your opinion/review of the cement color (and post) when you get your bag? I'm very close to pulling the trigger on getting the Howard in cement but worried about dirtying it due to the color. Also, the shade is so different from website to website.

No problem! I know what you mean, it looks light on the botkier site and then pretty dark on others. I think it will be more on the dark side. I can't wait until Monday!:biggrin: